Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 1911 Government STEEL review. NOT FOR FANBOYS!

Occasionally Replies Back Ordnance21's Avatar
    Thanks
    What is with you M1911A1 haters. If you don't like it, don't buy it. More for me. I like them, have (2) and love, love them. better than any other. I have others but my first love is stronger. Go kiss up to yeager on you tube. Just go away!!!!

MOLON LABE
    Jesse D. Adams USMC RET.
    MOLON LABE

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ordnance21 For This Useful Post:

Arizona Infidel (07-26-2014),Mister Mills (06-08-2017)

Little Miss Chatterbox
    Thanks
    I simply won't carry any semi-auto pistol. I have owned two and neither one could be trusted. The first was a Colt 1911 combat commander. New, out of the box it would not return to battery after firing a shot. I took it apart to see why and every piece in the action was full of burrs. The ejector rod was too long and practically folded the ejected rounds in half from hitting the ejection port. After days with a stone, cleaning the burrs off, I carefully fitted the slide to the frame after acid dipping the entire frame and slide to remove the Colt bluing. I then Parkerized the entire gun, enlarged the ejection port, belled the magazine well and shortened the ejector rod. Lubed and assembled the gun and returned to the range. Using the rest of the factory loads it fired more or less flawlessly - for about 50 rounds. The next mag functioned properly so that ruled out lubrication problems. With reloads I could get it ti fire nearly a hundred rounds between failure to feed or failure to return to battery problems. For a brand new Colt I would have expected much better. I got rid of the gun because I couldn't trust it to be ready when needed.

After a couple of years I tried another in 9mm. I tried every bullet weight and every brand of ammo trying to find something it would shoot straight. I then loaded ammo for it trying from light to heavy bullets and the best group I ever got was with the heaviest bullets that I could find at about an 80% load - it was a dismal 6 inch pattern at 25 yards. I got rid of it too.

I didn't get hurt on either purchase or the sale of the guns but I will probably never trust an auto-loading pistol as long as I live. My 357 and 45 Colt do everything I ask of them. My 357, after well over 40,000 rounds, still shoots five shots inside one inch at twenty-five yards. I am not quite as good with the 45 but it will still work every time I pull the trigger. In the 42 years that I have owned the Ruger 357 I have competed in Hunter's Pistol metallic silhouette, combat training, hunted deer, shot paper and plinked using the same load that I worked up for it for knocking over the metal targets. It is half a grain from a maximum load(back then - the load is now over a grain hotter than listed maximums in most -but not all - books) 19.1 grains of H110 behind a 140 grain JHP. (Do NOT use this load in anything other than a Ruger or Contender)
    ==============================
    live, work, love and be all you are meant to be.

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 8,673 Times in 3,616 Posts
    I have a colt series 70 govt. Model. I have never had any issues whatsoever with it. It is accurate, reliable and it carries well. The slim profile actually hides and rides better than many sub compact glock type handguns. This is the first I've ever heard of someone having major issues with a factory new colt..

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Arklatex For This Useful Post:

Imaexpat2 (08-06-2014),Mister Mills (06-08-2017),rice paddy daddy (08-05-2014)

Little Miss Chatterbox
    Thanks
    It figures that I would be the ONE guy that has had problems with a Colt.... I am damned! (OK, it's not that bad but I hate chasing brass anyway)
    ==============================
    live, work, love and be all you are meant to be.

Occasionally Replies Back
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ordnance21 View Post
    What is with you M1911A1 haters. If you don't like it, don't buy it. More for me. I like them, have (2) and love, love them. better than any other. I have others but my first love is stronger. Go kiss up to yeager on you tube. Just go away!!!!

MOLON LABE
    It seems to me that the ones who really hate 1911s are Glock owners, and frankly I don't know why. If you post anything about a 1911 they will jump in and say you should buy a Glock. I seldom see a 1911 owner posting attacks on Glocks unless they are responding to a 1911 attack by a Glock owner. Love your Glock, good for you, but why go out of your way to attack 1911s? It happens so much that I have gotten to the point where I just put it down to "pistol envy".

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Notsoyoung For This Useful Post:

Arizona Infidel (07-26-2014),dsdmmat (07-25-2014),machinejjh (07-23-2014),omegabrock (07-23-2014),Ordnance21 (07-25-2014),rice paddy daddy (08-05-2014)

VIP Member!

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 14,256 Times in 5,903 Posts
    Not surprisingly, most accidental shootings by police on themselves are performed by dim-wit cops with Glocks. Read that stat. on another website sponsored by a well known guns & ammo magazine, if I remember correctly.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to shootbrownelk For This Useful Post:

9UC (07-24-2014),Arizona Infidel (07-26-2014),Imaexpat2 (08-06-2014)

Thanks
    I've got an out of date, antiquated 70 year old USGI 1911 Colt that hands if I were to want to carry an SA auto that I would choose to carry over the any Glock or other plastic based gun. The "heavy" weight complained about above is what makes the gun so darn accurate. Has less felt recoil than my edc which is steel over alloy frame.
    USAF, Retired
    Then said He unto them, ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36 [/B][/I]
    Life Member: NRA, DVA, VVA, VFW, TSNA, Vietnam Security Police Assn.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 9UC For This Useful Post:

Arizona Infidel (07-26-2014),Ordnance21 (07-31-2014),rice paddy daddy (08-05-2014)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by madtana View Post
    The first major downside is the material. A steel 1911 with a 5 inch barrel is going to be shockingly heavy. With polymer components now equalling or surpassing steel, it is a mystery why anyone would choose to carry a 1911. Almost every major gun manufacturer now produces handguns with polymer frames that are lighter and also recoil less than the 1911 because of improved designs.

The woefully inadequate round capacity of the 1911 is another problem. There is simply no reason to favor a handgun with a capacity of eight or nine rounds when double stack handguns in the same caliber can provide up to 14. Owning a 1911 for the collector's value is understandable, but do not fool yourself into believing that it is still on par with today's handguns.
    I guess you missed all those double stack 1911s huh? Para, Springfield, STI just to name a few. I can tell you are a glock fanboy and that is your right, but when the last glock is thrown in the microwave it will be done by a guy carrying a 1911.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dsdmmat For This Useful Post:

Arizona Infidel (07-26-2014),Imaexpat2 (08-06-2014)

Occasionally Replies Back
    Thanks
    A little ironic that someone who calls enthusiasts of 1911s at "fanBOYS" then complains about how "shockingly" heavy the 1911 is and complains about it's recoil. Just saying.

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Notsoyoung For This Useful Post:

Arizona Infidel (07-26-2014),Innkeeper (08-05-2014),Ordnance21 (07-31-2014),rice paddy daddy (08-05-2014)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 2,685 Times in 1,171 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dsdmmat View Post
    I guess you missed all those double stack 1911s huh? Para, Springfield, STI just to name a few. I can tell you are a glock fanboy and that is your right, but when the last glock is thrown in the microwave it will be done by a guy carrying a 1911.
    Those double stacks were aweful, I had a para ordanance for a while. Never liked it.
    Admin for the BEST gun site on the web! WELCOME TO THE OTP!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to RWalls For This Useful Post:

Mister Mills (06-08-2017)

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast