Thread: Do any of you have a Kershaw Shallot?

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 34,174 Times in 10,477 Posts

Do any of you have a Kershaw Shallot?

As many of you know, I picked up a Kershaw Leek knife about a year and a half ago. I absolutely love it. My only complaint with it is the blade is a bit thin. That is not such a concern for what I use it for traveling. But when I carry it at home, I use it harder than I do traveling.

I was thinking about getting a second one to just keep at home. That way I could keep one in my suitcase for travel and have one at home. Cabela's has a pretty good sale going now on all Kershaw knives. I was browsing their site when I came across the Shallot. It looks to be just a little larger than the Leek. Do any of you have one? If so, what do you think of it? Is the blade any thicker than the Leek?

Little Miss Chatterbox

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 1,623 Times in 767 Posts
    Nope I don't have one but I like the look of it. 3.5" blade is about the same size as my Blur which is a great knife I just like something that rides a bit deeper in my pocket. Made in the USA too (Unlike my Ember...Chinese) which apparently is something we need to watch Kershaw about. Amazon has it for $46.25 so might be worth picking up just to try out, certainly not going to get hurt on it. Me personally I think my next knife will be a Benchmade, it'll be a bit before I can scrape that kind of coin together but I really like the 940/943 series, the 710's not a bad looking knife either. I've got plenty of pocket knives in the safe now that are perfectly suited to EDC but I'm a knife guy and there always seems to be something better around the next corner.

-Infidel
    Custom Leather goods, check out the facebook page
    https://www.facebook.com/StuMillerLeatherWorks

Etsy Store:
    http://StuMillerLeather.Etsy.com

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Infidel For This Useful Post:

Arklatex (12-19-2015),Inor (12-19-2015)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 8,673 Times in 3,616 Posts
    I don't own it. But I do own the leek. Kershaw makes a damn fine blade and prices them competitively. The caveat is that you must buy the USA made models. The Taiwanese blades are also good but they don't hold a candle to the Americans. Just my opinion. If the shallot is made in USA I'd be all over it. Let us know.

P.S. the leek is a good one but I've retired it from my EDC. That pointy wharncliffe profile just don't pass muster for ole Ark. Too fragile and easy to damage. I had to reprofile the tip several times. It would make a great dedicated self defense blade but not a great everyday utility blade. JM2C.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Arklatex For This Useful Post:

Inor (12-19-2015)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Infidel View Post
    Nope I don't have one but I like the look of it. 3.5" blade is about the same size as my Blur which is a great knife I just like something that rides a bit deeper in my pocket. Made in the USA too (Unlike my Ember...Chinese) which apparently is something we need to watch Kershaw about. Amazon has it for $46.25 so might be worth picking up just to try out, certainly not going to get hurt on it. Me personally I think my next knife will be a Benchmade, it'll be a bit before I can scrape that kind of coin together but I really like the 940/943 series, the 710's not a bad looking knife either. I've got plenty of pocket knives in the safe now that are perfectly suited to EDC but I'm a knife guy and there always seems to be something better around the next corner.

-Infidel
    Funny you mention Benchmade. I was just looking at the 940-1. That looks like a really nice knife. Also, Cabela's has a "Cabela's Exclusive" Benchmade called a model 300. It is a flipper (which is a style I like a lot).

http://www.cabelas.com/product/cabel...&Ntt=benchmade

I think after Christmas, I may have to get another EDC knife.

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 8,673 Times in 3,616 Posts
    I think Benchmade makes a great knife. I also think they want Waay too much for them. I'd take a look at Spyderco, Kershaw, Buck and Gerber first and in that order. All make some badass American made EDC blades. Note that not all models are American made. So your homework. If you want traditional than take a hard look see at Case. Nothing beats a good old fashioned Case trapper with stag scales!

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    I have a couple of Case knives. One was my dad's. Those are safe queens. I also have several fixed blade Buck knives - like those a lot. I am the same way with knives as Mrs Inor is with earrings.

Little Miss Chatterbox

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 1,623 Times in 767 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Arklatex View Post
    I don't own it. But I do own the leek. Kershaw makes a damn fine blade and prices them competitively. The caveat is that you must buy the USA made models. The Taiwanese blades are also good but they don't hold a candle to the Americans. Just my opinion. If the shallot is made in USA I'd be all over it. Let us know.

P.S. the leek is a good one but I've retired it from my EDC. That pointy wharncliffe profile just don't pass muster for ole Ark. Too fragile and easy to damage. I had to reprofile the tip several times. It would make a great dedicated self defense blade but not a great everyday utility blade. JM2C.
    Send that Leek back to Kershaw, they'll replace the blade on it. I'm tough on knives, always have been. I use them as pry bars, chisels and screwdrivers so I tend to break them. I have 5 Kershaw Scallions in my safe because when I was carrying them for work I kept breaking them and rather than send them back I just went and bought a new one. So when the torsion bar in my Blur finally crapped out I packed it and all the broken Scallions up and returned them to Kershaw for repair. They replaced all the worn out torsion bars as well as replaced all the broken blades and sent the whole package back within 3 weeks. Not a bad turn around time if you ask me.

Quote Originally Posted by Inor
    Funny you mention Benchmade. I was just looking at the 940-1. That looks like a really nice knife. Also, Cabela's has a "Cabela's Exclusive" Benchmade called a model 300. It is a flipper (which is a style I like a lot).

http://www.cabelas.com/product/cabel...&Ntt=benchmade

I think after Christmas, I may have to get another EDC knife.
    I'm leaning toward the 943 because of the clip point blade over the reverse tanto. You're right that Cabela's knife is a good looking knife too.

Ark you're right Benchmades are expensive no doubt about it. When I finally get to buying myself one it'll be kind of a gift to myself. Honestly though I don't think their prices are out of like. The majority of the Benchmade line is comparably priced with the more popular Spyderco blades (the $150 range). Sure some are more expensive but when it comes to mass production knives, Benchmade is one of the top manufacturers. I'm not saying that they're really that much better than the companies you mentioned but there's definitely a lot more attention to detail in the Benchmade plant than in say the Kershaw plant. Plus you get the Axis locking system which is one of the top rated locking systems. A frame lock is stronger but the Axis system is a much nicer locking system. You can get into a Benchmade for right around $100 for the Mini Griptilian (although I've seen them cheaper).
    Custom Leather goods, check out the facebook page
    https://www.facebook.com/StuMillerLeatherWorks

Etsy Store:
    http://StuMillerLeather.Etsy.com