Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Started my herbs

Smooth conversationalist slewfoot's Avatar

Ranks Showcase

Thanks

Started my herbs

I love to cook (my Father was a chef) I do most all the cooking in our house She sits back and enjoys the results. I have my own cook book I have put together over the years, has a hundred or so pages.
    That said I hate to use the store bought dry spices in little jars and buying fresh can get expensive. So today I went to my favorite department store, Home depot, and bought Sage, Dill ,Basil, oregano, and , thyme came home and got it all potted here on the patio. Went online and ordered organic non GMO garlic bulbs to plant. These are the things I use the most.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to slewfoot For This Useful Post:

Arklatex (12-25-2015),Baglady (12-20-2015),Inor (12-20-2015)

Found my way back to the barn. Baglady's Avatar

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 4,163 Times in 1,868 Posts
    Lucky you to have the weather to grow things outdoors this time of year. I don't have enough window space to have plants indoors. I tried garlic once, (outside). Apparently it takes more than one season to get it going good.
    Good luck. Let us know how it goes.
    What are some of your favorite things to cook? I'm looking for an old recipe for Italian pasta sauce. We grow our own tomatoes. I remembered someone told me many years ago, to make a good sauce, use a beef bone for flavor. You ever heard of that?

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 34,017 Times in 10,450 Posts
    Mrs Inor has been growing many of our herbs for the last few years. She grows them in pots. In the summer, they go out on the deck. In the winter they come inside. She even has a Rosemary bush and had a Basil tree/bush thing. I am not sure what happened to the Basil, maybe dead?

You are right, fresh herbs are so much better than grocery store herbs, and cheaper.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Inor For This Useful Post:

Arklatex (12-25-2015)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Baglady View Post
    I remembered someone told me many years ago, to make a good sauce, use a beef bone for flavor. You ever heard of that?
    Yes I have and have done it . It does add a good flavor to the sauce .
    As for the garlic you cannot use store bought garlic to plant, it is treated to stunt growth in the stores. I bought from an online store that sells seeds and garlic bulbs for planting.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to slewfoot For This Useful Post:

Baglady (12-22-2015)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Inor View Post
    Mrs Inor has been growing many of our herbs for the last few years. She grows them in pots. In the summer, they go out on the deck. In the winter they come inside. She even has a Rosemary bush and had a Basil tree/bush thing. I am not sure what happened to the Basil, maybe dead?

You are right, fresh herbs are so much better than grocery store herbs, and cheaper.
    I also have rosemary and chives growing out in the garden area.

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    [QUOTE=Baglady;41475
    What are some of your favorite things to cook? [/QUOTE]

Tonight's dinner
    chorizo chipotle meatloaf.
    1 pound ground beef (I use grass fed)
    1 pound ground chorizo
    1/2 pound bacon
    2 medium carrots chopped
    1 cup chopped mushrooms
    2 cups baby spinach, chopped
    1/4 white or yellow onion minced
    2 garlic cloves minced
    1 cup almond flour
    1 tsp.. garlic powder
    1/2 tsp.. sea salt
    1/4 tsp black pepper
    2-3 tablespoons of chipotle mayo. If not available use regular.
    Chopped green onion for garnish

Preheat oven to 350 degrees
    place all ingredients except for bacon , mayo, and green onions in a large bowl and mix well.

put mixture in a 9x5 baking dish cut the bacon strips so they fit across the baking dish.
    layer the bacon down the baking dish , overlapping slightly and covering all meat mixture. tuck the sides so the ends will not turn up while bake.
    Place in oven and bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes. then turn the broiler on and cook for less than 5 minutes just to brown the bacon. don't let it burn
    garnish with chipotle mayo and green onions. Enjoy

To make chipotle mayo put some mayo in a bowl add chipotle sauce and stir . Be careful and don't make it so hot you can't eat it.
    Last edited by slewfoot; 12-21-2015 at 11:28 AM.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to slewfoot For This Useful Post:

Arklatex (12-25-2015),Baglady (12-22-2015),Inor (12-21-2015)

I Never Log Off!

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 4,573 Times in 2,015 Posts
    Slew, put together a cookbook???
    I just purchased a nice vase, to grow green onions in, according to the net, you can get several cutting from one stalk.
    You will never be forgotten. RIP Corporal Bradley Coy (USMC)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Deebo View Post
    Slew, put together a cookbook???
    I just purchased a nice vase, to grow green onions in, according to the net, you can get several cutting from one stalk.
    I did Deebo, simple really, we eat strictly or as close as possible to Paleo. We buy all organic certified no hormone or chemicals added to feed or injected . we buy grass fed half beef and whole hog about once a year . only wild caught fish and organic chickens.
    We avoid all sugar's , Flour made from grain and some other stuff, we use almond and tapioca flour instead.We use natural raw honey as a sweetener in recipes .
    beef and meats are organic certified grass fed, and no hormone or other chemicals injected . wild caught fish and organic raised fowl.
    In order to do this, over time I took old recipes that I for the last 44 years of married life and changed ingredients to fit our type of diet.
    it is a work in progress.
    The above recipe for instance is an old meatloaf recipe with some ingredients changed and some added to fit what we like to eat.

And some I have made up myself.
    Last edited by slewfoot; 12-21-2015 at 12:40 PM.

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Baglady View Post
    use a beef bone for flavor. You ever heard of that?
    how I discovered this is we were in Rome Italy and went into a pizza place and it was the absolute best pizza I ever ate; my wife thought it was in the sauce so I ask how they made their pizza so much better than what I get at home, he told me that a lot of places use bone broth when the make their own sauce so I do that when ever I make a sauce use the broth instead of water.
    I get neck bones from a slaughter house. Bones in and Bring a couple gallons of water to a boil then turn to simmer for 3-4 hours. I put 2 cups to a seal a meal and freeze.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to slewfoot For This Useful Post:

Baglady (12-22-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by slewfoot View Post
    I love to cook (my Father was a chef) I do most all the cooking in our house She sits back and enjoys the results. I have my own cook book I have put together over the years, has a hundred or so pages.
    That said I hate to use the store bought dry spices in little jars and buying fresh can get expensive. So today I went to my favorite department store, Home depot, and bought Sage, Dill ,Basil, oregano, and , thyme came home and got it all potted here on the patio. Went online and ordered organic non GMO garlic bulbs to plant. These are the things I use the most.
    I grow all the herbs in the growing season here and then dehydrate them and store in canning jars. The chives though will grow outside all winter though. They are planted on south side of house right up next to the foundation. Its crazy they grow all year snow and all!
    "The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hawgrider For This Useful Post:

Arklatex (12-25-2015),Baglady (12-22-2015),slewfoot (12-22-2015)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast