Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Veterans medical benifits.

Smooth conversationalist slewfoot's Avatar

Ranks Showcase

Thanks

Veterans medical benifits.

I have always had good health insurance and never felt I needed to sign up with the VA . A while back my neighbor was talking about the VA and his benefits he receives so I thought why not, just in case something happens and I lose the insurance I have.
    So I filled out the application a few weeks later was notified that I had been accepted and I needed to go to the nearest VA center to get an ID.
    Now the nearest VA center is a 40 mile drive one way from my house; so yesterday we set out to get this taken care of, It is starting to pour rain and our snowbird season is in full swing so traffic is horrific

So we get there pop open the umbrellas and make a run for the door, get inside , get directions on where to go. Entered this room lady sitting at the desk ask what she could do for me.

Me: I need to get a photo taken and get an Id.
    her: boy did you pick the wrong day.
    Me: why?
    Her: our machine is broken and I can't make you an ID.
    Me: when will it be fixed?
    Her: hon , this is the government god only knows when that will happen. Give it a week then call first.
    Me: grumble ,mumble , bad words, turning to leave.
    My wife: that's ok you don't need them anyway.

My first and last experience with the VA.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to slewfoot For This Useful Post:

Arklatex (01-30-2016),Jeep (05-20-2016),Slippy (02-10-2016)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 8,716 Times in 3,587 Posts
    Wow, good thing you didn't need anything important that day.
    BAH FUCKING HUMBUG!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to TJC44 For This Useful Post:

slewfoot (01-30-2016)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 14,186 Times in 4,307 Posts
    I felt the same way until I retired, . . . found out I needed more meds than I really wanted, . . . and that they were expensive.

VA jumped in, . . . I'm saving something in the neighborhood of $200 a month, . . . don't take long to appreciate that.

May God bless,
    Dwight
    If you can breathe, . . . thank God.

If you can read, . . . thank a teacher.

If you can read in English, . . . thank a veteran.

www.dwightsgunleather.com

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dwight55 For This Useful Post:

Arklatex (01-30-2016),dsdmmat (01-30-2016),rice paddy daddy (02-09-2016),Slippy (02-10-2016)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 8,673 Times in 3,616 Posts
    Even though you had a bad experience it's still a good idea to get the ID. Like you said, just in case.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Arklatex For This Useful Post:

slewfoot (01-30-2016)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    I Believe the VA also pays travel expenses and lodging if it is over a certain distance from your home. I have not signed up for the VA medical because I have Tricare but maybe I should.
    Manus haec inimica tyrannis

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dsdmmat For This Useful Post:

Jeep (05-20-2016),slewfoot (01-30-2016)

Smooth conversationalist slewfoot's Avatar

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dsdmmat View Post
    I Believe the VA also pays travel expenses and lodging if it is over a certain distance from your home. I have not signed up for the VA medical because I have Tricare but maybe I should.
    They do pay that.

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 6,450 Times in 2,487 Posts
    I have been retired for 10 years....the only meds I take come at 21.00 a bottle and takes me 3 to 4 days to consume..The VA has never been on my radar and I will die before I use this useless, worthless entity....They will kill me faster than anything else. Most retires dont even use the VA they use TRICARE at local doctors or major military hospitals...the VA is for those who have hit rock bottom and are about to die because noone else will take them. Yep..I will die alone and happy before I see a VA hospital.

You just get about a 98% minority work force earning their money by not doing a damn thing for us racist whitemen. Cause we must be racist for complaining about lazy assed black people not working hard...but still getting paid.
    Last edited by OSFG; 02-01-2016 at 09:31 PM.

Zealot

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 4,615 Times in 1,621 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dsdmmat View Post
    The VA only pays travel expenses if you are below a certain income threshold.
    I enrolled in VA medical so I could get hearing aids. Which they provided - over $5,000 for the pair, plus free batteries for life.

There are 8 Priority Groups. Which one you get enrolled in depends on if you have a service connected disability, or if you are a Vietnam vet, or combat vet of Iraq & the Stan, or the two lowest which are for veterans in general (Groups 7 & 8).
    Groups 7 & 8 have copays, depending on your income. But they are still a hell of a lot lower than insurance.

Once you are enrolled, you must get a yearly physical to stay enrolled. You just don't sign up and that's it. For me, this is a good thing - I am on the VA Agent Orange Registry and the tests the VA does includes ones specific to this besides regular blood work. And they have done some other specialized AO testing on me.
    Since there are less than 900,000 left of the original 2.6 million vets who were boots on the ground in Nam, thanks to Agent Orange, this is important to me.

I use the VA as preventive medicine. Unless you have a service connected disability, for regular medical care there are better options - if you have insurance or Medicare.
    Kill A Commie For Mommy

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rice paddy daddy View Post
    The VA only pays travel expenses if you are below a certain income threshold.
    I enrolled in VA medical so I could get hearing aids. Which they provided - over $5,000 for the pair, plus free batteries for life.

There are 8 Priority Groups. Which one you get enrolled in depends on if you have a service connected disability, or if you are a Vietnam vet, or combat vet of Iraq & the Stan, or the two lowest which are for veterans in general (Groups 7 & 8).
    Groups 7 & 8 have copays, depending on your income. But they are still a hell of a lot lower than insurance.

Once you are enrolled, you must get a yearly physical to stay enrolled. You just don't sign up and that's it. For me, this is a good thing - I am on the VA Agent Orange Registry and the tests the VA does includes ones specific to this besides regular blood work. And they have done some other specialized AO testing on me.
    Since there are less than 900,000 left of the original 2.6 million vets who were boots on the ground in Nam, thanks to Agent Orange, this is important to me.

I use the VA as preventive medicine. Unless you have a service connected disability, for regular medical care there are better options - if you have insurance or Medicare.
    I have a service connected disability but I have the Clinic on the fort I work on that I can use. No copays for anything. Tricare is only 560 a year for the wife and I. The VA would require me to travel quite a bit further.
    Manus haec inimica tyrannis

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 17,318 Times in 6,025 Posts
    For those that have the odd good experience with the V/A -- good - fine - great --

But IMHHO --

V/A = butchers --

NRA Instructor / RSO & NRA Life Member / NYSRPA member / GOA member / S.A.F.E. Armorer / 03-FFL / Moist Nugget gun nut / Venturing Crew COR / Ammosexual / Wayne County PA - visitors CCW holder / And a right wing Republican Jew with guns

The word liberal is a misnomer ( look it up )

And Epstein didn't kill himself

Μολών Λaβέ

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ricekila For This Useful Post:

hawgrider (05-20-2016),rice paddy daddy (05-20-2016)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast