Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Where do you look for metal purchases?

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 8,673 Times in 3,616 Posts
    What about some of the online dealers? I've bought from a couple in the past. But price wise I'm not sure how they compare to a local dealer. The local places are far away so I've never been.

VIP Member!

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 14,259 Times in 5,904 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Arklatex View Post
    What about some of the online dealers? I've bought from a couple in the past. But price wise I'm not sure how they compare to a local dealer. The local places are far away so I've never been.
    In my opinion Ark, the smart money will be in Guns/Loaded ammo and reloading supplies. A good stock of .22 LR as well. This is all dependent on who wins the upcoming Presidential election.....If it be Over-the-Hillary....we be in deep doo-doo. As she once said, "I'm going to declare war on the NRA". And she will include the Second Amendment and legal gun owners sure as s**t.

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by shootbrownelk View Post
    In my opinion Ark, the smart money will be in Guns/Loaded ammo and reloading supplies. A good stock of .22 LR as well. This is all dependent on who wins the upcoming Presidential election.....If it be Over-the-Hillary....we be in deep doo-doo. As she once said, "I'm going to declare war on the NRA". And she will include the Second Amendment and legal gun owners sure as s**t.
    I'm definitely with you on that. I do like to buy some PM every now and then as well as a safe way to protect money from inflation.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Arklatex For This Useful Post:

shootbrownelk (08-22-2016)

Precious metals = Lead and brass.

Everything else is a waste of resources.
    "The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields

6. The Following User Says Thank You to hawgrider For This Useful Post:

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 34,019 Times in 10,450 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Arklatex View Post
    I'm definitely with you on that. I do like to buy some PM every now and then as well as a safe way to protect money from inflation.
    I have had very good luck buying from Kitco.

http://www.kitco.com/

They do charge a premium, but they are a respected firm so I know that what I am buying is real. Their web site is a great place to do a little PM research. Plus they are based in Montreal so I am pretty sure they are not reporting my purchases to the U.S. government.
    Admin for the most politically correct site on the web. Welcome to the OTP!

Follow our house build: http://www.mtacres.net/

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Inor For This Useful Post:

Arklatex (08-21-2016),shootbrownelk (08-22-2016),StratBastard (03-07-2019)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Inor View Post
    I have had very good luck buying from Kitco.

http://www.kitco.com/

They do charge a premium, but they are a respected firm so I know that what I am buying is real. Their web site is a great place to do a little PM research. Plus they are based in Montreal so I am pretty sure they are not reporting my purchases to the U.S. government.
    That's a pretty neat site just for the data. Thanks!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Arklatex For This Useful Post:

Dinky Dau

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanks everyone,

I have decided to do all of the above. I added to the arsenal- to bad everything fell into the ocean the next day. But the few rounds of ammo I picked up and some "junk" coins I got are still here. I have been looking at Kitco and talking to a guy I know who buys a bunch of silver off e-bay. I'm still pretty nervous about doing that though. Don't have much yet, but I'm working on it slowly. Just like the rest of the self sustaining things I work on.

Coppertop

Asks, ignores and leaves franklin's Avatar

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Older thread but I'll add some thoughts to keep this going.

I generally buy from JMBullion. They are competitive in price and have a solid reputation. I don't try to squeeze every penny out of these transactions as my coin purchases are for what I believe will be hard times and increased PM prices.
    So a couple % one way or another won't make a real difference. No need to take risk for that difference. Years ago there were shows with dealers and you could price shop. Buying known coins so little risk of counterfeits.
    These days I don't know of many, if any, shows in my area. And I'm not fully up on current coins and counterfeit activities.
    I have been buying coins since the early 70's and still have my first Krugerrand. Actually since they banned them for a while I keep it as a token of the resistance.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to franklin For This Useful Post:

StratBastard (03-07-2019)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 46,363 Times in 13,211 Posts
    I have purchased from APMEX in the past and been very satisfied.
    Now, I like to purchase over the counter with no paper trail... cash for PM's, no names.
    There are a LOT of counterfeit gold coins and bars out there. FIND and stick with a local dealer (usually a gold/silver jewelry shop rather than a pawn shop) who has the following:
    A full set of Fisch scales and ringers. These allow the seller to demonstrate to you the coin is the correct weight, thickness, and can ring the coin to see if it contains a copper, tungsten center rather than gold.
    Even better, there is now electronic testing, whereas the device sends a beam THROUGH the coin/bar to verify it is solid gold.
    Invest a few emails to your local dealers to find if they have the proper equipment. My dealer puts each coin I buy on the beamer for me to see.
    Check the spot price of gold every morning you plan to buy. Your 1 oz. gold coin should cost around $50 above spot.
    A.K.A. StratBastard
    "It can't be fixed."
    NRA Member
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFa4g5nQPss

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12