Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anybody into HAM?

Boondoggle Georgiacornholesupply's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by new guy View Post
    Is a license required for ham radios, if so what's involved and how much are they?

Will using a ham radio interfere with radio and TVs?
    Yes license is required to transmit on ham frequencies but not to just listen. There is a great little chinese portable dual band ham radio that is as low as $34-35 on amazon and ebay.

http://www.amazon.com/BaoFeng-UV-5R-...&keywords=uv5r

A ham radio isn't supposed to interfere with radios or tvs but may if damaged, defective or modded.
    High quality cornhole boards and bags -> georgiacornholesupply@gmail.com

Don't get too close, I bite! RubberDuck's Avatar

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 11,105 Times in 4,188 Posts
    Reviving thread from the dead.
    I know there are people on here playing with Ham I never really played with it always had CBs I do have a General Lee converted to CB that is still capable of Ham frequency just never played with it much. The whole license thing I might understand if a high power base but with handhelds is it really necessary?
    Back in the day you needed a license for CB as well but very few people did and definitely don't anymore.
    My thoughts on any communication outside the norm is good but ultimately they still listen and control all frequencies so in real SHTF they are not as useful as they once were as they can still block them and definitely track them.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RubberDuck For This Useful Post:

hawgrider (03-26-2020),Innkeeper (03-26-2020),MountainGirl (03-26-2020)

Don't get too close, I bite! Gambit's Avatar

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 13,042 Times in 5,248 Posts
    agree, need to bring this thread back to life

I had a cobra lct base back in buffalo glowing up

I would not mind getting into ham but that shit is costly and with pacemaker in my chest im not sure they safe up close for me
    It happened before, it can happen again.
    It happened there, it can happen here.
    It happened to that person, it can happen to you.
    No one is immune to the trials and tribulations of life.

I'm not allowed at the Zoo anymore...

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Gambit For This Useful Post:

hawgrider (03-26-2020),Innkeeper (03-26-2020),MountainGirl (03-26-2020),RubberDuck (03-25-2020)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gambit View Post

I would not mind getting into ham but that shit is costly and with pacemaker in my chest im not sure they safe up close for me
    If you don't stutter and eyes don't twitch while using a microwave you should be fine......Maybe.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RubberDuck For This Useful Post:

Innkeeper (03-26-2020),juskom95 (03-26-2020),MountainGirl (03-26-2020)

Don't get too close, I bite! Gambit's Avatar

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 13,042 Times in 5,248 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RubberDuck View Post
    If you don't stutter and eyes don't twitch while using a microwave you should be fine......Maybe.
    don't think I would be able to control myself to be honest
    I pissed off the gays on one channel and then I used to pick on the Canadians
    think the FCC will have me hanged high up as soon I click on the mic and release the pug

would be call to call people twat waffle on broadband
    It happened before, it can happen again.
    It happened there, it can happen here.
    It happened to that person, it can happen to you.
    No one is immune to the trials and tribulations of life.

I'm not allowed at the Zoo anymore...

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gambit For This Useful Post:

Innkeeper (03-26-2020),MountainGirl (03-26-2020),StratBastard (03-26-2020)

I know there are people on here playing with Ham I never really played with it always had CBs I do have a General Lee converted to CB that is still capable of Ham frequency just never played with it much. The whole license thing I might understand if a high power base but with handhelds is it really necessary?
    Back in the day you needed a license for CB as well but very few people did and definitely don't anymore.
    My thoughts on any communication outside the norm is good but ultimately they still listen and control all frequencies so in real SHTF they are not as useful as they once were as they can still block them and definitely track them.
    Even with a ham handhelds they can triangulate your location and I hear the consequences are not good for pushing the talk button without at least a tech liesence.
    Last edited by hawgrider; 03-26-2020 at 07:32 AM.
    "The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hawgrider For This Useful Post:

Innkeeper (03-26-2020),MountainGirl (03-26-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit View Post

25 bucks now for the radio listed in the quoted link.
    I have one 2 more on order. Pretty cool! Just got done adding all my local repeaters to my radio. Quite a bit of activity on several frequencies clear as a bell unlike CB and no CB good buddy talk. Thinking about getting the tech liesence when this kung FU is gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Georgiacornholesupply View Post
    Yes license is required to transmit on ham frequencies but not to just listen. There is a great little chinese portable dual band ham radio that is as low as $34-35 on amazon and ebay.

http://www.amazon.com/BaoFeng-UV-5R-...&keywords=uv5r

A ham radio isn't supposed to interfere with radios or tvs but may if damaged, defective or modded.
    "The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hawgrider For This Useful Post:

Innkeeper (03-26-2020),MountainGirl (03-26-2020)

There is a way to talk with the UV-5R somewhat legally from what I understand. If you have a hunting walmart walkie talkie you can program the UV-5R to the same frequency as the walkie talkie and use it that way but you have to run the baofeng on low power 1 watt instead of 5 watts. But I believe from what I'm seeing you can't use two UV -5R's from what I can tell you must have at least one a walmart walkie talkie ? But then I see where with two baofeng UV-5R using the same freq as the walmart walkie talkies is the same thing so what's the problem? I don't know as I'm just now diving into this ham handheld thing.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to hawgrider For This Useful Post:

Innkeeper (03-26-2020)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 20,730 Times in 8,455 Posts
    Some of the new handhelds can be docked into a vehicle unit for more power etc. I was looking at a few a couple of years ago.

In real SHTF, the frequencies won't be blocked, because the military operates in that range (we used to step all over local operators and even TV stations).

Also, during emergencies, a license isn't legally required.
    "Every person’s life is theirs by right. An individual’s life can and must belong only to himself, not to any society or community, or he is then but a slave. No one can deny another person their right to their life, nor seize by force what is produced by someone else, because that is stealing their means to sustain their life. It is treason against mankind to hold a knife to a man’s throat and dictate how he must live his life."

COFFEE!

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to juskom95 For This Useful Post:

hawgrider (03-26-2020),Innkeeper (03-26-2020),MountainGirl (03-26-2020),RubberDuck (03-26-2020)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    After doing some reading on the license and the information available to a public database I think I would pass on getting licensed and just have one around for emergency use. I am running my CB at 45 watts and know lots of guys with heaters running 5xs that power and the fcc doesn't bother. Now do they really even bother with unlicensed little hand helds?
    What if one were to locate a licensed call sign and use it in another are?

Here is a write up I found interesting this guy ended up using a P.O. box but I won't go to those lengths.
    https://www.theprepperjournal.com/20...de-government/

19. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to RubberDuck For This Useful Post:

hawgrider (03-26-2020),Innkeeper (03-26-2020),juskom95 (03-26-2020),MountainGirl (03-26-2020)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast