Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Old-Timey Hog Killin'

Old-Timey Hog Killin'

"The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to hawgrider For This Useful Post:

Gambit (06-29-2016),hag (06-29-2016),Inor (06-29-2016),RubberDuck (06-29-2016)

Don't get too close, I bite! Gambit's Avatar

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 13,042 Times in 5,248 Posts
    think the PC people will ask this video to be taken down? it can be offensive to muslims and vegans.
    other then that I have a hankering for bacon and ribs
    It happened before, it can happen again.
    It happened there, it can happen here.
    It happened to that person, it can happen to you.
    No one is immune to the trials and tribulations of life.

I'm not allowed at the Zoo anymore...

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Gambit For This Useful Post:

hag (06-29-2016),hawgrider (06-29-2016),RubberDuck (06-29-2016),Sparkyprep (06-29-2016)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 13,135 Times in 4,781 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gambit View Post
    think the PC people will ask this video to be taken down? it can be offensive to muslims and vegans.
    other then that I have a hankering for bacon and ribs
    Not sure that you will find too many PC people here. LOL
    Friends don't let friends shoot Glocks.

Proud Deplorable

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Sparkyprep For This Useful Post:

Gambit (06-30-2016),hawgrider (06-29-2016),Inor (06-29-2016),RubberDuck (06-29-2016),TJC44 (06-29-2016)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 8,716 Times in 3,587 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparkyprep View Post
    Not sure that you will find too many PC people here. LOL
    That's what I was about to say.
    BAH FUCKING HUMBUG!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to TJC44 For This Useful Post:

Gambit (06-30-2016)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 14,186 Times in 4,307 Posts
    I got a Personal Computer and I'm here, . . . whatcha talkin' bout?? Huh??

May God bless,
    Dwight
    If you can breathe, . . . thank God.

If you can read, . . . thank a teacher.

If you can read in English, . . . thank a veteran.

www.dwightsgunleather.com

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Dwight55 For This Useful Post:

Gambit (06-30-2016)

Found my way back to the barn. Baglady's Avatar

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 4,163 Times in 1,868 Posts
    That's a chore I think everybody should experience at least once, and make sure you eat your wheaties first. Gonna be a long 2 days.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Baglady For This Useful Post:

Gambit (06-30-2016),hawgrider (06-30-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by Baglady View Post
    That's a chore I think everybody should experience at least once, and make sure you eat your wheaties first. Gonna be a long 2 days.
    If anyone wants the experience your welcome to come to my place in December. Always kill several and never have enough help lol. It's worth it though. Had fried ham, fried potatoes, and biscuits and red eye gravy for supper tonight. Grocery shopping in the smoke house is one of the few pleasures in life
    "I'm a walking contradiction, partly truth and partly fiction"
    Kris Kristofferson
    "The American farmer is the only person who buys everything at retail, sells everything at Wholesale, an has to pay the freight both ways "
    JFK

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hag For This Useful Post:

Gambit (06-30-2016),hawgrider (06-30-2016),Inor (06-29-2016)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hag View Post
    If anyone wants the experience your welcome to come to my place in December. Always kill several and never have enough help lol. It's worth it though. Had fried ham, fried potatoes, and biscuits and red eye gravy for supper tonight. Grocery shopping in the smoke house is one of the few pleasures in life
    I'd like to grocery shop in YOUR smokehouse. This year our hog was too big, and it was late in the spring so we didn't get to smoke any of the meat either. 50lbs of sausage tho, so can't complain. Also rendered the lard (first time) and got a 5 gallon can of it. Most of the other meat was tough.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Baglady For This Useful Post:

Gambit (06-30-2016),hawgrider (06-30-2016),RubberDuck (06-30-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by Baglady View Post
    I'd like to grocery shop in YOUR smokehouse. This year our hog was too big, and it was late in the spring so we didn't get to smoke any of the meat either. 50lbs of sausage tho, so can't complain. Also rendered the lard (first time) and got a 5 gallon can of it. Most of the other meat was tough.
    If you can find an old used refrigerator for not a lot of money you can modify the shelves inside to cure your hams shoulders and bacons, as long as the fridge still works. We have a couple in the barn that we keep cattle meds and drinks in and we used them one year when it got late. We killed five hogs weighing about three fifty and put all ten hams in, six of the shoulders and all the jowls. Cut the bellies in squares big enough for gallon bags and put them in the fridge in the house ( and father in law and uncle etc....)
    We put them down on a sugar cure just like you would in a salt box. Just had to cut some plywood to lay on the shelves so the salt wouldn't fall through the wire shelves.every bit of it cured perfectly. Always 35 to 40 degrees inside,as long as the fridge don't quit or get unplugged. We strapped the doors closed so no critters could open them
    It's a great trick if the weather won't cooperate. You could cure meat with a fridge in July but you would have to be pretty damn quick with the scalding scraping and gutting and cutting so the meat wouldn't sour before you got it refrigerated.

Just a tip if anyone ever needs it in the future
    "I'm a walking contradiction, partly truth and partly fiction"
    Kris Kristofferson
    "The American farmer is the only person who buys everything at retail, sells everything at Wholesale, an has to pay the freight both ways "
    JFK

18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to hag For This Useful Post:

Baglady (06-30-2016),Gambit (06-30-2016),hawgrider (06-30-2016),Inor (06-29-2016),RubberDuck (06-30-2016)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hag View Post
    If you can find an old used refrigerator for not a lot of money you can modify the shelves inside to cure your hams shoulders and bacons, as long as the fridge still works. We have a couple in the barn that we keep cattle meds and drinks in and we used them one year when it got late. We killed five hogs weighing about three fifty and put all ten hams in, six of the shoulders and all the jowls. Cut the bellies in squares big enough for gallon bags and put them in the fridge in the house ( and father in law and uncle etc....)
    We put them down on a sugar cure just like you would in a salt box. Just had to cut some plywood to lay on the shelves so the salt wouldn't fall through the wire shelves.every bit of it cured perfectly. Always 35 to 40 degrees inside,as long as the fridge don't quit or get unplugged. We strapped the doors closed so no critters could open them
    It's a great trick if the weather won't cooperate. You could cure meat with a fridge in July but you would have to be pretty damn quick with the scalding scraping and gutting and cutting so the meat wouldn't sour before you got it refrigerated.

Just a tip if anyone ever needs it in the future
    We do the cure the same way, it was the smoking we couldn't do this year. We bought a coke cooler 2 yrs ago, and hang the hams, bacon in. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sausage day 004.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	13.0 KB 
ID:	2460

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Baglady For This Useful Post:

Gambit (06-30-2016),hag (06-30-2016),hawgrider (06-30-2016),RubberDuck (06-30-2016)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast