Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Hot Pepper Sauce

VIP Member!

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 5,180 Times in 1,552 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Baglady View Post
    I know, right? Sensi

We've got to replenish our hickory supply soon. We've got one plum tree that has never bore fruit. It's about 8-10 yrs old. Can you use plum for smoking?
    If you only have one planted and you like plums you might want to plant another variety for a pollinator before you cut it down to use for smoking. Plums need another variety for pollination

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Broncosfan For This Useful Post:

Baglady (10-14-2019),hawgrider (10-14-2019),Mister Mills (01-28-2020),shootbrownelk (10-18-2019)

Found my way back to the barn. Baglady's Avatar

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 4,163 Times in 1,868 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Broncosfan View Post
    If you only have one planted and you like plums you might want to plant another variety for a pollinator before you cut it down to use for smoking. Plums need another variety for pollination
    We have two behind the house, one of which is the non bearing one. But if it is useful to the other one, guess it stays.
    We have two others I planted about 15 yrs ago, down the road a ways where we have a house trailer we rent out.
    They both bear fruit, but may not be close enough to pollinate these behind the house.
    Being cremated...my last chance for a SMOKING HOT BODY!!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Baglady For This Useful Post:

Mister Mills (01-28-2020)

VIP Member!

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    We have two behind the house, one of which is the non bearing one. But if it is useful to the other one, guess it stays.
    We have two others I planted about 15 yrs ago, down the road a ways where we have a house trailer we rent out.
    They both bear fruit, but may not be close enough to pollinate these behind the house.
    It does seem strange that you already have 2 planted behind your house and one of them is the one that not bearing. You didn't state how long ago the trees were planted behind your house. I'm no expert on plums but some trees take up to 6+ years to bear. Maybe its a later variety. I doubt the ones at the trailer are any help to pollinate your at your house. I have a good pollinator within 50' of all of my trees

Found my way back to the barn. Baglady's Avatar

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 4,163 Times in 1,868 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Broncosfan View Post
    It does seem strange that you already have 2 planted behind your house and one of them is the one that not bearing. You didn't state how long ago the trees were planted behind your house. I'm no expert on plums but some trees take up to 6+ years to bear. Maybe its a later variety. I doubt the ones at the trailer are any help to pollinate your at your house. I have a good pollinator within 50' of all of my trees
    The plum trees behind the house are 8-10 yrs old. The one that bears fruit is in better soil than the other. It's never grown very big like the other, even tho they are probably 50-60 feet apart. There was a lot of gravel in the area of the non bearing tree. I didn't expect it to live, and it's maybe 1/3 of the size of the other.
    I have my grape vine about 30 feet up the grade from the non bearing tree, and it does really well there. So..? I'm going to go with your first idea that the 2nd tree needs a pollinator and not cut it.
    What did you say you were using to smoke your peppers? Cherry? Why did you decide to use that wood as opposed to peach or hickory, etc?
    Being cremated...my last chance for a SMOKING HOT BODY!!

VIP Member!

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    The plum trees behind the house are 8-10 yrs old. The one that bears fruit is in better soil than the other. It's never grown very big like the other, even tho they are probably 50-60 feet apart. There was a lot of gravel in the area of the non bearing tree. I didn't expect it to live, and it's maybe 1/3 of the size of the other.
    I have my grape vine about 30 feet up the grade from the non bearing tree, and it does really well there. So..? I'm going to go with your first idea that the 2nd tree needs a pollinator and not cut it.
    What did you say you were using to smoke your peppers? Cherry? Why did you decide to use that wood as opposed to peach or hickory, etc?
    As far as what kind of wood it just depends what I have available at the time mostly. We have plenty of cherry after cutting down a tree. I don't buy wood to smoke with hardly ever. I do buy smoking pellets sometimes though

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Broncosfan For This Useful Post:

Baglady (10-22-2019)

VIP Member!

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    The batch of refrigerator hot sauce is now done. Although its good I think I will go back to all white oak wood smoke instead of using the tubes. The batch I done a couple of years ago had a more distinct smoke flavor.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	batch1.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	85.5 KB 
ID:	9744 I have another batch that is fermenting and I will get it finished in a few days.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Broncosfan For This Useful Post:

hawgrider (01-28-2020),Mister Mills (01-28-2020),RubberDuck (01-28-2020),Slippy (01-28-2020)

Looks pretty good. Tabasco hot or more like Louisiana hot or call 911 hot
    "The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields

12. The Following User Says Thank You to hawgrider For This Useful Post:

Broncosfan (01-28-2020)

I Never Log Off!

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 4,573 Times in 2,015 Posts
    MMM. I would love that on some fresh scrambled eggs. Great work.
    You will never be forgotten. RIP Corporal Bradley Coy (USMC)

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Deebo For This Useful Post:

Broncosfan (01-28-2020)

Don't get too close, I bite! Gambit's Avatar

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 13,042 Times in 5,248 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Deebo View Post
    MMM. I would love that on some fresh scrambled eggs. Great work.
    that's what she said!!!!!
    you all know it was over due
    It happened before, it can happen again.
    It happened there, it can happen here.
    It happened to that person, it can happen to you.
    No one is immune to the trials and tribulations of life.

I'm not allowed at the Zoo anymore...

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Gambit For This Useful Post:

Innkeeper (01-29-2020)

VIP Member!

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hawgrider View Post
    Looks pretty good. Tabasco hot or more like Louisiana hot or call 911 hot
    Tabasco hot with a hint of garlic. I used white wine vinegar in this batch. Might be a touch hotter than regular Tabasco. I took a taste of about 1/2 a teaspoon and u could feel some heat. I used a 1/2 gallon and got 2 pints. A pint = 4 bottle with a little left but not much.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Broncosfan For This Useful Post:

hawgrider (01-28-2020)

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast