Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Hot Pepper Sauce

Don't get too close, I bite! RubberDuck's Avatar

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 11,105 Times in 4,188 Posts
    Another reason for bitter is the bark.
    You don't notice it so much when smoking meats but vegetables you will try removing the bark.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to RubberDuck For This Useful Post:

Baglady (10-11-2019),Broncosfan (10-03-2019),Inor (10-03-2019),Slippy (01-28-2020)

VIP Member!

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 5,207 Times in 1,559 Posts
    I used smaller limbs from the tree. The bark was thin. Maybe that will help out with the bitterness. I have never noticed it before so maybe I got lucky. I will find out soon enough as I also done some paprika and onion spices in a pan at the same time

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Broncosfan For This Useful Post:

Baglady (10-11-2019),Inor (10-03-2019),RubberDuck (10-03-2019)

Found my way back to the barn. Baglady's Avatar

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 4,163 Times in 1,868 Posts
    I didn't know there was fermented pepper sauce. All we do is stuff the peppers in the jars, pour boiling vinegar and water bath to cook and seal. Of course you can put tomatoes, onions, okra, whatever in there too.
    I'd love to try it with smoked peppers. We just use cayenne peppers to make pepper sauce. I guess you can smoke those too.
    I'm trying to think of what the flavor profile would be like. What's the best wood to smoke peppers?
    I see your using cherry. I'd have to buy that.
    Being cremated...my last chance for a SMOKING HOT BODY!!

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Baglady For This Useful Post:

Broncosfan (10-11-2019),Slippy (10-11-2019)

VIP Member!

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 5,207 Times in 1,559 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Baglady View Post
    I didn't know there was fermented pepper sauce. All we do is stuff the peppers in the jars, pour boiling vinegar and water bath to cook and seal. Of course you can put tomatoes, onions, okra, whatever in there too.
    I'd love to try it with smoked peppers. We just use cayenne peppers to make pepper sauce. I guess you can smoke those too.
    I'm trying to think of what the flavor profile would be like. What's the best wood to smoke peppers?
    I see your using cherry. I'd have to buy that.
    I have used apple, cherry, white oak. I also have used apple, hickory and competition pellets just depending on how much time I have to babysit the fire. From the different woods so far its tough to notice the difference in flavor from what wood is used. The actual Tabasco brand is fermented for 3 years I believe in oak barrels then its mixed with vinegar to get the correct flavor.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Broncosfan For This Useful Post:

Innkeeper (10-13-2019)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Broncosfan View Post
    I have used apple, cherry, white oak. I also have used apple, hickory and competition pellets just depending on how much time I have to babysit the fire. From the different woods so far its tough to notice the difference in flavor from what wood is used. The actual Tabasco brand is fermented for 3 years I believe in oak barrels then its mixed with vinegar to get the correct flavor.
    I didn't know they did all that. I actually don't use Tabasco. I use Salsa almost daily. Then we use our pepper sauce with pinto's, greens and cornbread.
    I'm getting a little excited now..next year, home made salsa with smoked peppers...(and smoked tomatoes?) Anybody know how smoking tomatoes turns out?

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Baglady For This Useful Post:

Innkeeper (10-13-2019),Slippy (10-11-2019)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 25,199 Times in 7,072 Posts
    ...All we do is stuff the peppers in the jars, pour boiling vinegar and water bath to cook and seal...
    Brings back memories BagLady! My Grandma, died in her 90's a long time ago. A number of years ago I was helping my Mom organize her cabinets and we ran across some jars of hot banana peppers that Grandma had canned, her distinctive writing was on the jars. Of course, Mom cried when she saw them.

They were at least 20+ years old and remembering how much I loved them and had helped Grandma can some veggies when I was a kid, I volunteered to try them.

They were as good as I remembered and while I'll never know the exact recipe that Grandma used, I keep trying to duplicate it!

More than likely just some peppers and vinegar, maybe some sugar or salt? Good memories!

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Slippy For This Useful Post:

Baglady (10-13-2019),Innkeeper (10-13-2019),Inor (10-11-2019)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Slippy View Post
    Brings back memories BagLady! My Grandma, died in her 90's a long time ago. A number of years ago I was helping my Mom organize her cabinets and we ran across some jars of hot banana peppers that Grandma had canned, her distinctive writing was on the jars. Of course, Mom cried when she saw them.

They were at least 20+ years old and remembering how much I loved them and had helped Grandma can some veggies when I was a kid, I volunteered to try them.

They were as good as I remembered and while I'll never know the exact recipe that Grandma used, I keep trying to duplicate it!

More than likely just some peppers and vinegar, maybe some sugar or salt? Good memories!
    I'm still learning the old ways, but these last several years I'm learning some new ways with all this smoking you guys do. I remember when Hawg and Rubber Duck were smoking everything in the fridge and cupboards, one was mac n cheese. I had to try that! So we did. It was amazing.

So many people have gotten so creative with cooking, that I can't stand to have a plain old hamburger anymore.

But one of my best memories were the days we came home from school, to the smell of home baked bread and fresh skimmings of strawberry jam.
    Mom didn't get much time off from work, and she didn't waste any of it when she did.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Baglady For This Useful Post:

hawgrider (10-13-2019),Inor (10-13-2019),Slippy (10-13-2019)

Mmm yes the smoked mac and cheese sounds good!
    "The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields

16. The Following User Says Thank You to hawgrider For This Useful Post:

Baglady (10-13-2019)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hawgrider View Post
    Mmm yes the smoked mac and cheese sounds good!
    I know, right? Sensi

We've got to replenish our hickory supply soon. We've got one plum tree that has never bore fruit. It's about 8-10 yrs old. Can you use plum for smoking?

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Baglady For This Useful Post:

Broncosfan (10-14-2019)

I know, right? Sensi

We've got to replenish our hickory supply soon. We've got one plum tree that has never bore fruit. It's about 8-10 yrs old. Can you use plum for smoking?
    Plum can be used. Yeah fruit wood is a go.
    "The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hawgrider For This Useful Post:

Baglady (10-14-2019),Broncosfan (10-14-2019)

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast