Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Garlic Salt

VIP Member!

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 5,180 Times in 1,552 Posts

Garlic Salt

So I decided to try smoking some fresh garlic

I seperated the cloves and peeled them. Then smoked them using a mixture of white oak with a hint of apple and pear probably about 4-5 hours. They had a nice color when I took them off.
    I cut the larger cloves and put in the dehydrator. I would do this different next time. Will explain later.
    When the garlic was dry I ground it in a coffee grinder. Put in storage jar.
    Then I measured 3 tablespoons of Himalayan salt put in grinder ground slightly
    Then I added 1 tablespoon garlic and ground it with the salt

This is the first time I have use Himalayan salt. It has a strong salt taste but doesn't over ride the garlic and then the added taste of the smoke.

I also done this with regular garlic but I decided after peeling the cloves to chopped it in the food processor lookinghg for a better way. . I then spread it on my dehydrator tray.(My dehydrator has the liner sheets) It dried so much faster. Since garlic is somewhat sticky I used a metal pancake turner to peel it loose and flip it over. Looked like a thin rice krispy treat. I then ground it then mixed like above 3 parts salt one part garlic. I did grind this somewhat finer.

Both appear the same color a slight off white with pink shades mixed it but the smoked looks more pink but that could be because it is courser. Its somewhat cloudy here today or I would try to take a picture. Will add one when I can.

I think this is a good way to save all the extra garlic from your garden.

I didn't weigh my garlic at the start so I can't give you exact start to finish ratio but I ended up with 2 8ox jelly jars of garlic before I started making the garlic salt.

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Broncosfan For This Useful Post:

Baglady (07-27-2016),Gambit (07-26-2016),hawgrider (07-26-2016),RubberDuck (07-26-2016),Sasquatch (07-26-2016),Slippy (07-26-2016),Sparkyprep (07-27-2016)

Don't get too close, I bite! RubberDuck's Avatar

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 11,105 Times in 4,188 Posts
    I have smoked nearly every spice an seasoning mix in my cupboard the big trick is to stir it up every 30 min so the smoke covers evenly

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RubberDuck For This Useful Post:

Baglady (07-27-2016),Gambit (07-26-2016),hawgrider (07-26-2016)

Excellent thanks Broncosfan. So your pretty happy with the end product?
    I pulled my Garlic yesterday so I'm thinking about giving your method a whirl.
    "The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hawgrider For This Useful Post:

Gambit (07-26-2016),RubberDuck (07-27-2016)

VIP Member!

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hawgrider View Post
    Excellent thanks Broncosfan. So your pretty happy with the end product?
    I pulled my Garlic yesterday so I'm thinking about giving your method a whirl.
    Yes I'm very happy with the end results. I think it has a stronger taste than store bought but that is probably due to being fresh. Who knows how old the product in the store is even before you get it. Then it was also probably grown in China and packed in the USA so At least I know where it came from and how it was handled.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Broncosfan For This Useful Post:

Gambit (07-26-2016),hawgrider (07-26-2016),RubberDuck (07-27-2016)

VIP Member!

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 14,259 Times in 5,904 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Broncosfan View Post
    Yes I'm very happy with the end results. I think it has a stronger taste than store bought but that is probably due to being fresh. Who knows how old the product in the store is even before you get it. Then it was also probably grown in China and packed in the USA so At least I know where it came from and how it was handled.
    Well, at least you know it won't contain any lead. That's a must use ingredient in ALL Chinese products.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to shootbrownelk For This Useful Post:

RubberDuck (07-27-2016)

Decided since I have smoked himalayan salt already I won't smoke the garlic so I put some right in the dehydrator.

I'm thinking just for fun I'll try 2 smal batches. One with smoked himalayan salt and the other with kosher salt.
    "The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hawgrider For This Useful Post:

Baglady (07-27-2016),RubberDuck (07-27-2016)

VIP Member!

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hawgrider View Post
    Decided since I have smoked himalayan salt already I won't smoke the garlic so I put some right in the dehydrator.

I'm thinking just for fun I'll try 2 smal batches. One with smoked himalayan salt and the other with kosher salt.
    I think that you could vary this any way to your preference of taste. Small batches are a great idea. I didn't make a lot to begin with except the orginal amount of garlic. Now I can make a batch anytime.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Broncosfan For This Useful Post:

hawgrider (07-27-2016),RubberDuck (07-27-2016)

Found my way back to the barn. Baglady's Avatar

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 4,163 Times in 1,868 Posts
    I never thought about dehydrating garlic. Thanks!
    Can anyone tell me why my home made horseradish is not hot? Even tho the root is unbearable to shred? (I do it outdoors with a fan)
    So disappointing to go thru all that, and then its not hot to eat.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Baglady For This Useful Post:

RubberDuck (07-28-2016)

My garlic is finally dry. Grind and mix tomorrow.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to hawgrider For This Useful Post:

RubberDuck (07-30-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by Baglady View Post
    I never thought about dehydrating garlic. Thanks!
    Can anyone tell me why my home made horseradish is not hot? Even tho the root is unbearable to shred? (I do it outdoors with a fan)
    So disappointing to go thru all that, and then its not hot to eat.
    Not hot maybe it's the type of horse radish? A mild strain?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast