Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Garlic Salt

Ground it this morning.

On the left is garlic, kosher salt and parsley.

On the right is smoked himalayan salt, garlic, ground black pepper and parsley.

First taste test was the garlic and kosher salt on fried eggs from my backyard. Taste is strangly familiar to Lawerys but without the added junk like cottonseed oil and the other crap they put in. The fresh ground garlic stands out. Good flavor and worth the effort.
    Last edited by hawgrider; 07-31-2016 at 09:59 AM.
    "The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hawgrider For This Useful Post:

Arklatex (07-31-2016),RubberDuck (07-31-2016)

VIP Member!

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 5,205 Times in 1,558 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hawgrider View Post
    Ground it this morning.

On the left is garlic, kosher salt and parsley.

On the right is smoked himalayan salt, garlic, ground black pepper and parsley.

First taste test was the garlic and kosher salt on fried eggs from my backyard. Taste is strangly familiar to Lawerys but without the added junk like cottonseed oil and the other crap they put in. The fresh ground garlic stands out. Good flavor and worth the effort.
    Looks very very good! Like I said before your creations are endless! Good job! I will try some others later as I have time. Might make jalapeno dill pickles today. I'm cheating though I'm using a bought mix. One day I will make or find a recipe to make from fresh ingredients.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Broncosfan For This Useful Post:

RubberDuck (07-31-2016)

Don't get too close, I bite! RubberDuck's Avatar

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 11,105 Times in 4,188 Posts
    great on my list

Quote Originally Posted by Broncosfan View Post
    Looks very very good! Like I said before your creations are endless! Good job! I will try some others later as I have time. Might make jalapeno dill pickles today. I'm cheating though I'm using a bought mix. One day I will make or find a recipe to make from fresh ingredients.
    I'll try the smoked on the dinner meal tonight.

Pickles.. yum Its been a couple years since ive made some using grandma's no processing "alum" dill pickles.
    I also make some killer dilled hot mix from the same no process brine that grandma made. Seems the recipe should be here somewhere? I'll look for it.

Edited the dill recipe wasnt posted yet so I'll put it up now look for it in the recipes
    Last edited by hawgrider; 07-31-2016 at 11:23 AM.
    "The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields

7. The Following User Says Thank You to hawgrider For This Useful Post:

RubberDuck (07-31-2016)

VIP Member!

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 5,205 Times in 1,558 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hawgrider View Post
    I'll try the smoked on the dinner meal tonight.

Pickles.. yum Its been a couple years since ive made some using grandma's no processing "alum" dill pickles.
    I also make some killer dilled hot mix from the same no process brine that grandma made. Seems the recipe should be here somewhere? I'll look for it.

Edited the dill recipe wasnt posted yet so I'll put it up now look for it in the recipes
    Thanks I will check it out. Just got the pickles in the water bath. 18 pints

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Broncosfan For This Useful Post:

hawgrider (07-31-2016),RubberDuck (07-31-2016)

Had the smoked himalayan salt, garlic and black pepper corn on some venison tenderloin. It was good but I think next I will actually smoke and slightly roast the garlic next time.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hawgrider For This Useful Post:

Arklatex (07-31-2016),RubberDuck (07-31-2016)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 1,714 Times in 685 Posts
    Are you grinding your salt to put into regular salt shakers? If so, how are you doing it?

13. The Following User Says Thank You to inceptor For This Useful Post:

RubberDuck (08-01-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by inceptor View Post
    Are you grinding your salt to put into regular salt shakers? If so, how are you doing it?
    Small electric coffee bean grinder dedicated to grinding spices. It works real well. The longer you grind the finer it gets.

like this-

Last edited by hawgrider; 08-01-2016 at 06:53 AM.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to hawgrider For This Useful Post:

Baglady (03-13-2020)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 1,714 Times in 685 Posts
    Now I would have never thought of that. Thanks

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to inceptor For This Useful Post:

hawgrider (08-01-2016),RubberDuck (08-02-2016)

Making a batch of Broncosfans garlic salt. I have the last of last years harvest peeled and chopped in the dehydrator.
    Plan on mixing 1 cup garlic powder to 3 cups kosher salt. And add lots of my dehydrated parsley.

19. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to hawgrider For This Useful Post:

Baglady (03-13-2020),Innkeeper (03-13-2020),LivoniaDan (03-09-2020),RubberDuck (03-08-2020)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast