Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Garlic Salt

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 2,457 Times in 778 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Baglady View Post
    I never thought about dehydrating garlic. Thanks!
    Can anyone tell me why my home made horseradish is not hot? Even tho the root is unbearable to shred? (I do it outdoors with a fan)
    So disappointing to go thru all that, and then its not hot to eat.
    Didn't know personally... So I got this from the 'net:
    I do know that in the past someone told me to wait a while before adding the vinegar..... but that is a distant memory.

1) Did you wait a few minutes after grating? There's an enzyme that reacts with oxygen IIRC, and it should get hotter after a few minutes of rest.

2) You have to get some cell crushing going on to release the chemical that makes the hot flavor, so microplaning may not have done enough cell damage, depending on how sharp your tool was. Also, acid stops the development of the heat. Root veg lasts a very long time, so I recommend going with a box grater to create a pile of root, letting it sit a few minutes, then mixing it into your preferred sauce vehicle when the flavor is developed.

3) The microplane likely isn't doing enough damage to the cells to release the isothiocyanates. A food processor would be the way to go.
    “America, it is said, is suffering from intolerance — it is not. It is suffering from tolerance.
    Tolerance of right and wrong, truth and error, virtue and evil, Christ and chaos.
    Our country is not nearly so overrun with the bigoted as it is overrun with the broadminded.”
    ― Fulton J. Sheen

I will not let anyone walk through my mind with their dirty feet.
    – Mahatma Gandhi

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LivoniaDan For This Useful Post:

hawgrider (03-09-2020),RubberDuck (03-09-2020)

Found my way back to the barn. Baglady's Avatar

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 4,163 Times in 1,868 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LivoniaDan View Post
    Didn't know personally... So I got this from the 'net:
    I do know that in the past someone told me to wait a while before adding the vinegar..... but that is a distant memory.
    That's good to know. I did use a food grater, but then went right to the mixture process. Thanks!
    Being cremated...my last chance for a SMOKING HOT BODY!!

Quote Originally Posted by hawgrider View Post
    Making a batch of Broncosfans garlic salt. I have the last of last years harvest peeled and chopped in the dehydrator.
    Plan on mixing 1 cup garlic powder to 3 cups kosher salt. And add lots of my dehydrated parsley.

Mine is dried now but I have to grind it. yet. maybe this weekend?
    "The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields

5. The Following User Says Thank You to hawgrider For This Useful Post:

MountainGirl (03-15-2020)

I finished up the garlic salt. I ended up with 1gt jar of garlic powder after I ground the dehydrated garlic.

Did Broncosfans ratio of 1 to 3 added parsley and had 2 gts yield plus some left over straight garlic powder. Nice haul over all from last year garden.

"The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hawgrider For This Useful Post:

Broncosfan (03-15-2020),MountainGirl (03-15-2020),RubberDuck (03-16-2020)

Don't get too close, I bite! RubberDuck's Avatar

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 11,105 Times in 4,188 Posts
    I am hoping we see some garlic at camp this year if not maybe pic a new spot to seed.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RubberDuck For This Useful Post:

Broncosfan (03-16-2020),hawgrider (03-16-2020)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123