Thread: Stop-Loss reinvented?

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 20,730 Times in 8,455 Posts

Stop-Loss reinvented?

I served during the era of "Stop-Loss" within the Army (and other branches). Where those who had recently separated were recalled to new units and those near the end of their contract were prevented from separating. I was nearly one of those, near the end of my first contract I was contacted by the Reserve unit I was going to; I re-enlisted, it was better.

I bring this up, because someone I was speaking with brought up the draft, and I thought: Would Congress attempt to re-acquire separated Veterans with combat experience first? Logistically it makes sense, as they have experience, though it could be a 'negative' if they have been out for five or ten years and gotten a 'taste' for Civilian life again.

Thoughts?
    "Every person’s life is theirs by right. An individual’s life can and must belong only to himself, not to any society or community, or he is then but a slave. No one can deny another person their right to their life, nor seize by force what is produced by someone else, because that is stealing their means to sustain their life. It is treason against mankind to hold a knife to a man’s throat and dictate how he must live his life."

COFFEE!

Don't get too close, I bite! DerBiermeister's Avatar

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 6,617 Times in 2,513 Posts
    I got out of the Navy in Aug of '65. I had always planned on serving one four-year stint so I could further my education in college. My first son had just died, and as this was pretty traumatic on my wife, I figured I was needed close to home instead of away on lengthy deployments.

Anyway, I had moved into my grandfather's home in Ft. Pierce, Fla in order to be close enough to attend Brevard Engineering College (which was morphing into Florida Institute of Technology). My grandfather was pretty much an invalid by this time and living with my folks in Mississippi. Upon separating from Active duty, I was placed in the reserves. My closest reserve unit was down in West Palm Beach, Fla, and as the distance exceeded 50 miles, I did not have to attend weekly meetings, nor was I obligated to do the two-week summer active duty.
    “Keep your scope up and we’ll shoot that SOB down the throat” -- Dudley "Mush" Morton, USS Wahoo
    "Hit hard, hit fast, hit often" -- Adm William "Bull" Halsey

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DerBiermeister For This Useful Post:

Gambit (10-20-2016),juskom95 (10-18-2016)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 20,730 Times in 8,455 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DerBiermeister View Post
    I got out of the Navy in Aug of '65. I had always planned on serving one four-year stint so I could further my education in college. My first son had just died, and as this was pretty traumatic on my wife, I figured I was needed close to home instead of away on lengthy deployments.

Anyway, I had moved into my grandfather's home in Ft. Pierce, Fla in order to be close enough to attend Brevard Engineering College (which was morphing into Florida Institute of Technology). My grandfather was pretty much an invalid by this time and living with my folks in Mississippi. Upon separating from Active duty, I was placed in the reserves. My closest reserve unit was down in West Palm Beach, Fla, and as the distance exceeded 50 miles, I did not have to attend weekly meetings, nor was I obligated to do the two-week summer active duty.
    That's a pretty rough time.
    "Every person’s life is theirs by right. An individual’s life can and must belong only to himself, not to any society or community, or he is then but a slave. No one can deny another person their right to their life, nor seize by force what is produced by someone else, because that is stealing their means to sustain their life. It is treason against mankind to hold a knife to a man’s throat and dictate how he must live his life."

COFFEE!

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to juskom95 For This Useful Post:

Gambit (10-20-2016),Ricekila (10-20-2016)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DerBiermeister View Post

Thank you for your service and most importantly I'm sorry for the loss of your son. God bless you. No parent should have to endure that.

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 17,318 Times in 6,025 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olemiss View Post
    Thank you for your service and most importantly I'm sorry for the loss of your son. God bless you. No parent should have to endure that.
    Yep -- you're still a lying sack of shit --- who ya fooling ?

NRA Instructor / RSO & NRA Life Member / NYSRPA member / GOA member / S.A.F.E. Armorer / 03-FFL / Moist Nugget gun nut / Venturing Crew COR / Ammosexual / Wayne County PA - visitors CCW holder / And a right wing Republican Jew with guns

The word liberal is a misnomer ( look it up )

And Epstein didn't kill himself

Μολών Λaβέ

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ricekila For This Useful Post:

hawgrider (10-20-2016),juskom95 (10-20-2016),RubberDuck (10-20-2016)

Don't get too close, I bite! RubberDuck's Avatar

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 11,105 Times in 4,188 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olemiss View Post

Your fake attempt to be sincere is pathetic an should chew lead by your own hand as apology.
    Your reply here is disrespectful an insulting due to your comments about Veterans an their services
    Last edited by RubberDuck; 10-20-2016 at 02:44 AM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to RubberDuck For This Useful Post:

juskom95 (10-20-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by RubberDuck View Post

Your fake attempt to be sincere is pathetic an should chew lead by your own hand as apology.
    Your reply here is disrespectful an insulting due to your comments about Veterans an their services
    Oh burn ! LOL!
    "The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields