Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Most unusual item in bug out bag?

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 1,996 Times in 896 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hawgrider View Post
    Use them where I work. They are heavy if your counting ounces.
    I agree that it is somewhat heavy. However, the ability to access water is kind of important, and this is a tool that allows people to do just that from an atypical source. I am up in the air if I want to carry one as I am only a single person. If I were in a group, we would most definitely have one amongst us. I also have hiking pants that have lots of cargo pockets. I plan on carrying certain items that are somewhat heavy or frequently accessed in my pockets (Leatherman, Altoids Fire kit, compass, etc.). This key could be kept in a thigh pocket. Carrying loads is all about how they are dispersed upon your body. My structural firefighting gear weighs about 70 pounds before I even pick up a tool. However, that gear is distributed across my body, and it does not feel as heavy as a result. I am still not going to win races while in it, but I can move fairly quickly if needed.
    Last edited by Kfilly; 04-07-2017 at 08:21 AM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kfilly For This Useful Post:

hawgrider (04-07-2017),juskom95 (04-07-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Kfilly View Post
    I agree that it is somewhat heavy. However, the ability to access water is kind of important, and this is a tool that allows people to do just that from an atypical source. I am up in the air if I want to carry one as I am only a single person. If I were in a group, we would most definitely have one amongst us. I also have hiking pants that have lots of cargo pockets. I plan on carrying certain items that are somewhat heavy or frequently accessed in my pockets (Leatherman, Altoids Fire kit, compass, etc.). This key could be kept in a thigh pocket. Carrying loads is all about how they are dispersed upon your body. My structural firefighting gear weighs about 70 pounds before I even pick up a tool. However, that gear is distributed across my body, and it does not feel as heavy as a result. I am still not going to win races while in it, but I can move fairly quickly if needed.
    The key would help a urban dweller get out of the area but for me it would be useless. In Michigan there are so many natural water sources it would not be worth the weight to me.

You can also substitute that key by just using and carrying a mutli tool like the Gerber I have that has the needle nose pliers then you wouldn't need the key at all.
    "The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hawgrider For This Useful Post:

hag (04-07-2017),Kfilly (04-07-2017)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 1,996 Times in 896 Posts
    The key would help a urban dweller get out of the area but for me it would be useless. In Michigan there are so many natural water sources it would not be worth the weight to me.

You can also substitute that key by just using and carrying a mutli tool like the Gerber I have that has the needle nose pliers then you wouldn't need the key at all.
    I have seen rural businesses with those types of hose spigots where a water key would work.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Kfilly For This Useful Post:

hawgrider (04-07-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Kfilly View Post
    I have seen rural businesses with those types of hose spigots where a water key would work.
    If I'm on foot or not I won't be out in the open let alone trespassing at any business near a road. Jus sayin...

You may depending on what hardware be able to get a plastic version which is much lighter if your counting ounces. Not as durable of course but like I said many of those spigots can be used with the thin needle nose on a Gerber multi tool.

I'm counting ounces in my inch bag so I won't carry one.

It would be a great option for those that don't have a creek, river, lake or stream every half mile like we do in Mi.
    "The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hawgrider For This Useful Post:

juskom95 (04-07-2017),Kfilly (04-07-2017)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 20,730 Times in 8,455 Posts
    You may depending on what hardware be able to get a plastic version which is much lighter if your counting ounces. Not as durable of course but like I said many of those spigots can be used with the thin needle nose on a Gerber multi tool.
    It would not be as durable, but one could get a few uses out of it. I wonder if a 3D printed one could be made lighter, or a skeleton like setup?

EDIT:
    The issue I had with my leatherman/gerber with those spigots, was that I ended up stripping off the top of the spigot trying it that way. Maybe a type of socket or plastic, limited use socket? Just enough for more leverage with a pair of pliers, but not the weight of an entire tool?
    "Every person’s life is theirs by right. An individual’s life can and must belong only to himself, not to any society or community, or he is then but a slave. No one can deny another person their right to their life, nor seize by force what is produced by someone else, because that is stealing their means to sustain their life. It is treason against mankind to hold a knife to a man’s throat and dictate how he must live his life."

COFFEE!

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to juskom95 For This Useful Post:

hawgrider (04-07-2017),Kfilly (04-07-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by juskom95 View Post
    It would not be as durable, but one could get a few uses out of it. I wonder if a 3D printed one could be made lighter, or a skeleton like setup?

EDIT:
    The issue I had with my leatherman/gerber with those spigots, was that I ended up stripping off the top of the spigot trying it that way. Maybe a type of socket or plastic, limited use socket? Just enough for more leverage with a pair of pliers, but not the weight of an entire tool?
    Needle nose will wreck the spigots... the grounds keepers here trash them cuz they are to lazy to get the key. But if your stealing water who cares?

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hawgrider For This Useful Post:

Kfilly (04-07-2017),Walter Tyler (04-11-2017)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Needle nose will wreck the spigots... the grounds keepers here trash them cuz they are to lazy to get the key. But if your stealing water who cares?
    I never got the spigot open more than enough for a drip or two over a month period. This was a newer spigot the previous owner replaced and the metal just bent under my pliers.
    "Every person’s life is theirs by right. An individual’s life can and must belong only to himself, not to any society or community, or he is then but a slave. No one can deny another person their right to their life, nor seize by force what is produced by someone else, because that is stealing their means to sustain their life. It is treason against mankind to hold a knife to a man’s throat and dictate how he must live his life."

COFFEE!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to juskom95 For This Useful Post:

Kfilly (04-07-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by juskom95 View Post
    I never got the spigot open more than enough for a drip or two over a month period. This was a newer spigot the previous owner replaced and the metal just bent under my pliers.
    We have older buildings ours are easily defeated.

Similar to these-

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hawgrider For This Useful Post:

juskom95 (04-07-2017),Kfilly (04-07-2017)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    We have older buildings ours are easily defeated.

Similar to these-
    The one on my house is like this:

Instead of a square it is rounded now!

I have used pliers on the ones you posted and it works, I wasn't even thinking of the 'heavy duty,' ones, but the cheap residential ones.

I figure I'll buy a sillcock key and if its an issue, I'll ditch it.

COFFEE!

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to juskom95 For This Useful Post:

hawgrider (04-07-2017),Kfilly (04-07-2017)

This is what I think of when I hear "4 way spigot key" these are the heavy ones.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hawgrider For This Useful Post:

juskom95 (04-10-2017),Kfilly (04-07-2017),Walter Tyler (04-11-2017)

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast