Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quick Clot expiration

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 8,673 Times in 3,616 Posts

Quick Clot expiration

I was looking through some of my stuff and noticed that several of my Trauma Kits were past the expiration. Looking online the quick clot website says not to use expired products. The same site claims the active ingredient is kaolin. Apparently it is a mineral and inorganic. Other sites claim *opinions* the stuff lasts forever so long as it's sealed and in a stabil temperature. Anybody know what the shelf life, if any, is for this stuff?

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Arklatex For This Useful Post:

hawgrider (10-31-2016),Kfilly (04-09-2017)

Don't get too close, I bite! DerBiermeister's Avatar

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 6,617 Times in 2,513 Posts
    I've got some trauma stuff for gunshot wounds -- I guess I had better break it out and check the dates.
    “Keep your scope up and we’ll shoot that SOB down the throat” -- Dudley "Mush" Morton, USS Wahoo
    "Hit hard, hit fast, hit often" -- Adm William "Bull" Halsey

Dinky Dau

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    In EMS - we have been told that the ex date is the "manufacture warranty date" Most everything we use is good for years after the date, but it's on us to use it- we cant go back to the manufacturer if something we use after the date doesn't work. It's not a use by or sell by dating like milk, but a way for manufacturers to have an ongoing demand for their product.

I don't know specifically about quikclot properties as we are not allowed to use it here.

Coppertop

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Coppertop For This Useful Post:

Arklatex (10-31-2016),juskom95 (10-31-2016),Slippy (10-31-2016)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 8,673 Times in 3,616 Posts
    Thank you Coppertop. I was thinking that the date was used as an excuse to peddle more product to medical professionals. Especially since the active ingredient is touted as being "inorganic"... That leads me to believe it should last much longer that the date printed on the package. Is there any specific reason why yall aren't allowed to use it? I've heard stories about clotting agents causing burns, and stories about it clogging the vascular system. But those are associated with other brands and supposedly not true for the kaolin based products. But I'm no medic so what do I know?

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Arklatex For This Useful Post:

Kfilly (04-09-2017),mhans (11-06-2016)

Dinky Dau

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    The reason we have been given are two: 1)The burns that you talk about and 2) the ER docs don't want to break any scabs that are on a wound to clean out the Quickclot. They have seen infections they believe are attributed to the QC. They scrub the wounds anyhow so I don't know how that makes a difference except for maybe how deep they have to scrub???? The State board has decided that we are trained to stop bleeding without making the wound worse.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Coppertop For This Useful Post:

Arklatex (11-06-2016)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 20,730 Times in 8,455 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Coppertop View Post
    The reason we have been given are two: 1)The burns that you talk about and 2) the ER docs don't want to break any scabs that are on a wound to clean out the Quickclot. They have seen infections they believe are attributed to the QC. They scrub the wounds anyhow so I don't know how that makes a difference except for maybe how deep they have to scrub???? The State board has decided that we are trained to stop bleeding without making the wound worse.
    Was that for the QuickClot powder or the QuickClot pads?

We stopped carrying the powder in the service, but were issued the pads to use instead (this as around '05 or so)
    "Every person’s life is theirs by right. An individual’s life can and must belong only to himself, not to any society or community, or he is then but a slave. No one can deny another person their right to their life, nor seize by force what is produced by someone else, because that is stealing their means to sustain their life. It is treason against mankind to hold a knife to a man’s throat and dictate how he must live his life."

COFFEE!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to juskom95 For This Useful Post:

Arklatex (11-07-2016)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 1,996 Times in 896 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by juskom95 View Post

We stopped carrying the powder in the service, but were issued the pads to use instead (this as around '05 or so)
    My EMS service still uses the Quik Clot pads.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kfilly For This Useful Post:

Arklatex (11-07-2016),juskom95 (11-07-2016)

Dinky Dau

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by juskom95 View Post

I think they meant to stop the powder, but they way they wrote the protocols doesn't allow anything with QuickClot in it so Pads are out also.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Coppertop For This Useful Post:

juskom95 (12-02-2016)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Coppertop View Post
    I guess that is a weird protocol. We only use Quik Clot on wounds where we cannot control bleeding. Yes, we can use tourniquets, but some major bleeds you cannot get a tourniquet on due to their location. We stop the immediate life threat first and worry about subsequent issues after the fact. An ER has more tools at their disposal for treating wounds as well as better work environment. We try to get the patient there alive.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Kfilly For This Useful Post:

juskom95 (04-10-2017)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Arklatex View Post
    I was looking through some of my stuff and noticed that several of my Trauma Kits were past the expiration. Looking online the quick clot website says not to use expired products. The same site claims the active ingredient is kaolin. Apparently it is a mineral and inorganic. Other sites claim *opinions* the stuff lasts forever so long as it's sealed and in a stabil temperature. Anybody know what the shelf life, if any, is for this stuff?
    I do know one thing about Quik Clot. If a packet gets a tiny puncture, the material can become rock hard. If your packet becomes rock hard even before its expiration date, it is no good. I honestly do not know about the expiration dates. I would think the stuff would still be good. However, my department pulls equipment for service that expires. I could just imagine the lawsuit that would come up if an "expired" product failed.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Kfilly For This Useful Post:

juskom95 (04-10-2017)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast