Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Chicks !!!

Ranks Showcase

Thanks

Chicks !!!

Chicks, the fuzzy feathery kind, not the babes.
    Arrived this AM, from Meyer Hatchery.
    Ordered 40 sexed hens, and 10 straight run, 52 arrived all healthy.
    USPS tracking sux, they were shipped Monday the 5th, they had one entry stating they were transferred to UPS on the 1st, then they had them arriving yesterday morning and out for delivery last night...
    Here they are, I'm going to be selling free range/organic/fertile/non GMO etc eggs!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Barred Rock in GQF Brooders.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	94.9 KB 
ID:	2824 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Barred Rock Chicks.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	96.3 KB 
ID:	2825

Rancher

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to azrancher For This Useful Post:

Arklatex (12-07-2016),Gambit (12-07-2016),hag (12-07-2016),hawgrider (12-07-2016),Inor (12-07-2016),Jeep (12-21-2016),juskom95 (12-07-2016),RWalls (04-06-2017)

Found my way back to the barn. Baglady's Avatar

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 4,163 Times in 1,868 Posts
    Nice! Looks like you went all out on the brooder boxes too. I recommend you don't keep too many together or they will "pile" and some will die.
    Don't know what breeds you ended up with, but ours, (Leghorns and Buffs) started laying at 4-5 months.
    I recently heard that the Tetracycline powder (antibiotic) is going to be pulled off the market as an over the counter item. So you may want to buy a few packs while you can.
    That and the electrolites is the only meds we keep for the chickens.
    Good Luck.
    Being cremated...my last chance for a SMOKING HOT BODY!!

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Baglady For This Useful Post:

Arklatex (12-07-2016),Gambit (12-07-2016),hag (12-07-2016),Inor (12-07-2016)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 8,673 Times in 3,616 Posts
    You're gonna have so many eggs it'll be a full time job to sell em!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Arklatex For This Useful Post:

Gambit (12-07-2016)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 20,730 Times in 8,455 Posts
    I miss homegrown eggs, they had a much better taste.
    "Every person’s life is theirs by right. An individual’s life can and must belong only to himself, not to any society or community, or he is then but a slave. No one can deny another person their right to their life, nor seize by force what is produced by someone else, because that is stealing their means to sustain their life. It is treason against mankind to hold a knife to a man’s throat and dictate how he must live his life."

COFFEE!

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to juskom95 For This Useful Post:

Dwight55 (12-07-2016),Gambit (12-07-2016),hawgrider (12-07-2016)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Baglady View Post
    Nice! Looks like you went all out on the brooder boxes too. I recommend you don't keep too many together or they will "pile" and some will die.
    The brooders were from when I was trying to make money by raising quail and chukars to sell to game bird dog trainers, I still will do a little of that, those brooders have tripled in price since I bought them, I also have 3 GQF incubators for continuing the chick supply, I had 3 Barred Rock hens but one died and no rooster of that breed, Barred Rock is what these are, I have a pair of RIR but prefer the gentleness of the BR. Yes they should start laying late March, or April at the latest.

I recently heard that the Tetracycline powder (antibiotic) is going to be pulled off the market as an over the counter item. So you may want to buy a few packs while you can. Good Luck.
    I heard the same thing on animal antibiotics, supposed to go into effect in January, I haven't found out anything concrete, but my better half has horses and her Vet is here at least every month, and I have a Niece in the land of Fruits and Nuts that is also a vet. So I should be good on Rx scripts, and I also have a good supply of Tetracycline, Erythromycin, BMD, and Penicillin, which is all mail order, around here the only over the counter is Terramycine.

Rancher

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to azrancher For This Useful Post:

Baglady (12-07-2016),Gambit (12-07-2016),hag (12-07-2016),Inor (12-07-2016)

Don't get too close, I bite! Gambit's Avatar

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 13,042 Times in 5,248 Posts
    I'm just had my little girl see the picture of the chicks and she says aww they are soo cute!!
    then I told her it takes one of them to make a chicken nugget
    then she said I was meanie
    It happened before, it can happen again.
    It happened there, it can happen here.
    It happened to that person, it can happen to you.
    No one is immune to the trials and tribulations of life.

I'm not allowed at the Zoo anymore...

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Gambit For This Useful Post:

Baglady (12-07-2016),hag (12-07-2016),Inor (12-07-2016),juskom95 (12-07-2016)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Good to have connections. One of our neighbors has Barred Rocks. Seems to be highly sought after around here. I'm guessing they are good layers as well as docile.
    We haven't had to use any antibiotics since the first week they were here, so maybe not such a big deal.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Baglady For This Useful Post:

Gambit (12-08-2016)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    I'm guessing they are good layers as well as docile. We haven't had to use any antibiotics since the first week they were here, so maybe not such a big deal.
    Good layers, ... I'm guessing about 200 eggs a year, all large and brown. I use antibiotics the first few days to knock out the respiratory chick killers, always have, always will. Chickens don't need much after that unless there's something going around, and of course you will always have feather mites, lice, and scale mites, but that's all real easy to take care of with Sevin dust, just make a dusting box with DE and Sevin, and they take care of all that themselves.

Rancher

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to azrancher For This Useful Post:

Gambit (12-08-2016),juskom95 (12-08-2016)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by azrancher View Post
    Good layers, ... I'm guessing about 200 eggs a year, all large and brown. I use antibiotics the first few days to knock out the respiratory chick killers, always have, always will. Chickens don't need much after that unless there's something going around, and of course you will always have feather mites, lice, and scale mites, but that's all real easy to take care of with Sevin dust, just make a dusting box with DE and Sevin, and they take care of all that themselves.

Rancher
    Yeah that's what we used this year, 7 dust, (actually 5%..don't know why they call it "7" dust?)
    I like the idea of using the diametious earth. From what Hawg and others have said it works good for all the little nasties.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Baglady For This Useful Post:

Gambit (12-08-2016)

Nice birds. I might check out Meyer's. I didn't know anyone would ship them this time of year. Around here they all quit about September or October and start back around February
    "I'm a walking contradiction, partly truth and partly fiction"
    Kris Kristofferson
    "The American farmer is the only person who buys everything at retail, sells everything at Wholesale, an has to pay the freight both ways "
    JFK

20. The Following User Says Thank You to hag For This Useful Post:

Gambit (12-08-2016)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast