Thread: FIRE! Heating, Cooking, Light

Hybrid View

Daily Abuser

Ranks Showcase

Thanks

FIRE! Heating, Cooking, Light

I thought I had a thought but it died of lonliness.
    Last edited by BlackDog; 06-08-2014 at 09:46 PM.

I Never Log Off!

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 4,618 Times in 2,021 Posts
    here is what I have, and it needs a good "dusting off" aint doing any good in the closets.
    Fire- bic lighters, a few harbor freight magnesium strikers, steel wool and 9 volt, also have a few "hobo candles"(wound cardboard soajed in wax), tea candles, and denatured alcohol
    no heating, fire place at fiance house, no wood to speak of.
    cooking- coleman bottle cook top, the kind that uses the green bottle, two bottles. Alcohol stoves, three or four, could make one quicker than find one. Hobo coffe can, wood gas stove, orange two burner camp stove. sterno,
    probably forgetting as much stuff as I listed.

Thanks
    on the topic of fire starters, I'm waiting for my eBay rods to arrive from chinaland but matches in a waterproof case, bics, a good old magnifying lens and for tinder I'm making up some Vaseline + cotton wool + duct tape packages, hopefully I will get my rods soon so I can make up the kit and send you some photos...

my way of thinking on this one is kiss, keep it simple stupid, too many ways to start a fire, just need enough to get me by
    Tom Paris : When a bomb starts talking about
    itself in the third person, I get nervous. - star trek voyager

4. The Following User Says Thank You to pheniox17 For This Useful Post:

BlackDog (06-07-2014)

Daily Abuser
    Thanks
    I don't have a whole lot but I do live in a RV full time and sometimes we loose power or you blow through your propane tanks faster than you thought you would.

Obviously being in a RV...propane is the main heating and cooking source. Unfortunately with out electricity its not very useful for heating but at least I can cook. I keep a 40 lbs tank as my main tank and try to fill up when its out. I keep two 20 lbs tanks on reserve just in case. That's about a 2 week or so supply in the winter.

For back up I keep a few other things around such as Kerosene lanterns, single burner Dual Fuel Stove and even a folding stove that uses sterno cans. This last winter I used a single burner propane heater that uses 1 lbs bottles. I went through I think 3 all season long. For back up cooking I also have 200 lbs of charcoal Briquettes on hand a small size grill that can do a whole chicken. Being a smoker, I have lots of lighters around and if it gets really ugly several Fire Steel strikers around as well. While I don't have as many ways to start a fire as most I think I got the bases covered adequately enough.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Imaexpat2 For This Useful Post:

BlackDog (06-07-2014)