Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Summer sausage question

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 8,673 Times in 3,616 Posts

Summer sausage question

Does anybody know how long summer sausage will last? I got a bunch of it over Christmas (Hillshire Farms) and the package say they're good for only a few months. I always thought that they lasted a lot longer than that... At least a year? The fda and other similar websites are saying 3 months. I just don't buy that. What do yall think?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Arklatex For This Useful Post:

RubberDuck (12-27-2016)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 34,019 Times in 10,450 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Arklatex View Post
    Does anybody know how long summer sausage will last? I got a bunch of it over Christmas (Hillshire Farms) and the package say they're good for only a few months. I always thought that they lasted a lot longer than that... At least a year? The fda and other similar websites are saying 3 months. I just don't buy that. What do yall think?
    If you freeze it, it will last close to a year or until it gets freezer burn.

Salami and other fermented meats will last forever even without being in the refrigerator.
    Admin for the most politically correct site on the web. Welcome to the OTP!

Follow our house build: http://www.mtacres.net/

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Inor For This Useful Post:

A Watchman (12-27-2016),Arklatex (12-27-2016),hag (12-27-2016),RubberDuck (12-27-2016)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanks Inor. I figured it was like salami but I guess I was wrong. Oh well. I'm gonna have to throw a few parties with cheese, crackers and summer sausage to get rid of the stuff!

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Arklatex For This Useful Post:

hag (12-27-2016),RubberDuck (12-27-2016)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 20,730 Times in 8,455 Posts
    Is it an expiration or a sell by date? All of the ones I have purchased had a sell by date I believe.
    "Every person’s life is theirs by right. An individual’s life can and must belong only to himself, not to any society or community, or he is then but a slave. No one can deny another person their right to their life, nor seize by force what is produced by someone else, because that is stealing their means to sustain their life. It is treason against mankind to hold a knife to a man’s throat and dictate how he must live his life."

COFFEE!

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to juskom95 For This Useful Post:

Arklatex (12-27-2016),RubberDuck (12-27-2016)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by juskom95 View Post
    Is it an expiration or a sell by date? All of the ones I have purchased had a sell by date I believe.
    Some just have a date printed, like this small Hillshire Farms one:

Others have a use by date, like this one from a company called Old Wisconsin:

The one above has a shelf life double what the fda site claims.

Edit: just noticed the use or freeze by printed on the Hillshire. Duh!
    Last edited by Arklatex; 12-27-2016 at 01:08 PM.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Arklatex For This Useful Post:

juskom95 (12-27-2016),RubberDuck (12-27-2016)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 20,730 Times in 8,455 Posts
    Yeah, mine never last that long . . .
    "Every person’s life is theirs by right. An individual’s life can and must belong only to himself, not to any society or community, or he is then but a slave. No one can deny another person their right to their life, nor seize by force what is produced by someone else, because that is stealing their means to sustain their life. It is treason against mankind to hold a knife to a man’s throat and dictate how he must live his life."

COFFEE!

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to juskom95 For This Useful Post:

Arklatex (12-27-2016),RubberDuck (12-27-2016)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by juskom95 View Post
    Yeah, mine never last that long . . .
    I hear you. I was just hoping they would make for a decent meat to store for SHTF. But if 3 or so months is all I can really expect it ain't gonna fit that bill. I need to look into the real salami Inor mentioned. Thanks for the helpful replies folks.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Arklatex For This Useful Post:

Inor (12-27-2016),juskom95 (12-27-2016),RubberDuck (12-27-2016)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    I hear you. I was just hoping they would make for a decent meat to store for SHTF. But if 3 or so months is all I can really expect it ain't gonna fit that bill. I need to look into the real salami Inor mentioned. Thanks for the helpful replies folks.
    A few years back I spent a LOT of time researching how to make salami and other fermented meats specifically for the purpose of storage SHTF. They are pretty easy to make. But... You have to be careful because they are never "cooked". It is actually the fermentation process that kills all of the bad bacteria. So you just have to watch them close during the fermentation process to make sure it is working correctly and all of the bad stuff is dying off or you can get really sick. One of the main things is that you have to wait until all of the water is gone from the meat. That means, you have to be VERY careful to weigh it when you stuff them and do not even try to eat it until it loses about 20% of the original weight. Also, it pays to test the PH of the meat. I'll have to check my notes to find out what the PH needs to be to be safe, but I can do that if you want.
    Last edited by Inor; 12-27-2016 at 11:29 AM.

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Inor For This Useful Post:

Arklatex (12-27-2016),hag (12-27-2016),juskom95 (12-27-2016),RubberDuck (12-27-2016)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    This is the cure I use when making salami and pepperoni. I have not tried making prosciutto yet, but that is on my list to try.

http://www.meatprocessingproducts.com/11250.html

Also, the company that I linked is extremely good about answering questions too. They are a little more expensive than Amazon, but it is more than worth it for the customer support, especially when doing this stuff for the first time and the end result can make you sick if you do not do it right.

18. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Inor For This Useful Post:

Arklatex (12-27-2016),hag (12-27-2016),juskom95 (12-27-2016),MountainGirl (01-15-2018),RubberDuck (12-27-2016),SouthernBrat (12-27-2016)

VIP Member!

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 14,262 Times in 5,904 Posts
    Vac seal it and freeze it Ark. It'll last for over a year, if not two by doing it that way.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to shootbrownelk For This Useful Post:

Arklatex (12-27-2016),hag (12-27-2016),RubberDuck (12-27-2016)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast