Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ★ Closed ★ Fathers day giveaway

Occasionally Replies Back

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Like 9UC my dad was a drunk and don't have any fond memories, unless you call watching your dad beat your mother or trying to burn the house down in a drunkin rage, good memories. We did go fishing once, but he ran out of beer so we left before we got to fish. It was kind of different when we went to the state hospital to see him on sundays as he tried to dry up. He did let me go to the local bar once with him though, I was 8 years old. There was that new bicycle I got, OH wait I worked as a caddy for the summer and paid for it myself. I do remember that great vacation to Penn. but it was for an AA convention that he was speaking at so we sat in the motel room, but there was a pool. Then he did ask me if the piece of ass was worth getting married for! Yea, I remember my dad, and we are nothing alike, thank GOD.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to ekim For This Useful Post:

RWalls (06-15-2014)

New Kid on the Block
    Thanks
    My dad was always very good to my mom, brother and me. We never had a lot of money, but never went without what we needed.
    My fifteenth summer he was to attend a supervisor's convention for his job. Instead of sending my brother and I to relatives and flying he and mom there, he took 2 weeks vacation, packed up our little Shasta camper, and drove us from Atlanta to San Francisco, Ca. We stopped at all the major sites across the country. Petrified forest, Grand Canyon, Hoover Dam, Las Vegas, Bryson Nat. Park, you name it. There are lots of stories associated with that trip, but the fact that he did it shows his devotion to our family.
    He's been gone over 20 years now, and I still miss him very much.
    If your dad is still with us, make it a point to something with him every month, not just on Father's day. He'll be gone before you know it.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pop's garage For This Useful Post:

Innkeeper (06-16-2014),RWalls (06-15-2014)

Thanks
    Everything good that I am, and everything useful I know, I learned from my Dad, although it took his death to realize it. The way he lived his life still guides me today, over 20 years later.

The best story I ever heard about my Dad when he was young is the pidgeons in the barn story. My Grandfather wanted them out of his fairly new barn and tasked my Dad and his brother to get rid of them. They did, with the Win. model 1906 .22 that was my first rifle. Needless to say, they also spent a fair time of that summer patching the many holes in the barn, and I'm pretty sure that every shot wasn't a hit!
    "Free men do not ask permission to bear arms"

Thomas Jefferson

Seen on Bumper Sticker:

I may be an old dog
    But I can still bury a bone

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Just Sayin' For This Useful Post:

RWalls (06-15-2014)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 2,685 Times in 1,171 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Attachment 433

winner is post 4
    Admin for the BEST gun site on the web! WELCOME TO THE OTP!

Little Miss Chatterbox 1moretoy's Avatar

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Congrats old SF Guy! I didn't post since I won the last ammo giveaway but now that the winner has been picked:

My Dad has always been my hero. He will do anything for anyone in need even if he has something really important to do himself. I have never seen my Dad raise his voice much less his fist. He'll, I'm not sure I've ever heard him curse. ( that one didn't rub off on me though). I recently bought a rental property as an investment and at 80...he's been over there helping me almost every day. I have to make him slow down so not to over do it. Well that's just how he is. I love my Dad.

Occasionally Replies Back

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    I didn't make my post to win the ammo and would have turned it down for my post as it wasn't in the proper context of this thread, but just told what some Dads were/are and how you can overcome what life gives you some times. Have I drank before, yes, but not in the past 6 years at least and never to the point I got out of control. I'm not saying I'm special, just that you don't have to let your past control who you become. It's great that most have such good memories with their Dads, but I do have some good past memories from other family members.

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 6,450 Times in 2,487 Posts
    Thanks RWalls...and more importantly thanks to all who shared tales of their fathers. I am at home with all four of my boys (the 1 in the Navy is home on leave too). My second had his graduation party this weekend and was the students choice to speak at the graduation as the JROTC Cadet Commander. He is also a volunteer fire fighter and joining the Navy to be a Navy Seal. I can say that I give the credit to Mrs. Young SF Gal (I'm not gonna call her Old cause I'm scared of her). Without our ladies...we would probably eat our young so God bless them to.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OSFG For This Useful Post:

Innkeeper (06-16-2014),Inor (06-16-2014)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12