Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wood stuff

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 34,019 Times in 10,450 Posts

Wood stuff

My first passion is woodworking. Specifically, I like to make furniture but I also do a bit of turning. Here are a few of my projects:

A 6 board blanket chest. I made this piece with only hand tools. The sides are joined using hand cut dovetails.
    Attachment 414

A Queen Anne style audio cabinet. I did use a table saw to rip the pieces to width and cut the panels for the sides, top and back. All of the other shaping was done by hand.
    Attachment 415

Walnut barrister bookcases. These were mostly machine made. But each shelf is a separate unit. I made 6 shelf units and two tops and two bottoms. So they can be stacked with 3 and 3 units or 4 and 2 etc.
    Attachment 416

Then I have made a bunch of fixtures for my shop. Here is a workbench:
    Attachment 417

And a cart for all of my saws and table saw stuff:
    Attachment 418

I have made a bunch of other stuff too, but I do not have pictures of them - a reloading bench, all of Mrs Inor's kitchen cabinets, a couple other bookcases, etc.
    Last edited by Inor; 06-12-2014 at 11:10 PM.

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Inor For This Useful Post:

Arklatex (08-03-2014),Casie (07-21-2014),Infidel (06-13-2014),omegabrock (08-03-2014),OSFG (06-12-2014),Reptilicus (08-02-2014),rice paddy daddy (06-13-2014),Sasquatch (08-07-2016),Slippy (08-03-2014)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Old SF Guy View Post
    Inor that is great work. I have a chest and a cradle i made that I would love to show you but you do good work. I grew up working in a saw mill from the age of 9 so I know me some wood. Good Job my man...good job.
    Thanks pal! I would love to see pictures of your work.

Little Miss Chatterbox 1moretoy's Avatar

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Inor...you do great work. I mostly work with metal so my skills and lack of woodworking tools leave me classified as a beginner woodworker. You have skills.

Zealot

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 4,615 Times in 1,621 Posts
    Excellent work, Inor! Excellent!!
    Woodworking has always been something I enjoy, although I haven't done any fun projects in maybe a decade.
    Spending my entire working life in the building materials distribution business, I have made extensive use of packing dunnage, crates, pallets, unsaleable product etc. For example when I worked for Georgia Pacific, on the units of furniture grade plywood the forklift blades would always scuff up the bottom sheet. Even though that was the back side of the sheet, customers would not buy it. My boss sold them to me for $5. We're talking stuff like 3/4" A-1 maple!!
    And you would be suprised at some of the wood that is considered "trash wood" used for pallets and crates. Lots of red oak, poplar, philipine mahogany, douglas fir, eastern white pine.
    All my work is done with simple tools - 10" benchtop table saw, 7 1/2" Skilsaw, router, hand planes, etc. I have always wanted a drill press and a jointer.
    Last edited by rice paddy daddy; 06-13-2014 at 11:34 AM.
    Kill A Commie For Mommy

Occasionally Replies Back Eagle1803's Avatar
    Thanks
    Good work Inor, My dad does wood working also....his work is good like you.

Little Miss Chatterbox

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 1,623 Times in 767 Posts
    Beautiful work Inor. I dabble in it and build things as needed but no way I could do any of that, I don't have anywhere near the patience for it. I can build what we need but it may not always be the prettiest thing.

-Infidel

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rice paddy daddy View Post
    Excellent work, Inor! Excellent!!
    Woodworking has always been something I enjoy, although I haven't done any fun projects in maybe a decade.
    Spending my entire working life in the building materials distribution business, I have made extensive use of packing dunnage, crates, pallets, unsaleable product etc. For example when I worked for Georgia Pacific, on the units of furniture grade plywood the forklift blades would always scuff up the bottom sheet. Even though that was the back side of the sheet, customers would not buy it. My boss sold them to me for $5. We're talking stuff like 3/4" A-1 maple!!
    And you would be suprised at some of the wood that is considered "trash wood" used for pallets and crates. Lots of red oak, poplar, philipine mahogany, douglas fir, eastern white pine.
    All my work is done with simple tools - 10" benchtop table saw, 7 1/2" Skilsaw, router, hand planes, etc. I have always wanted a drill press and a jointer.
    I do have far more woodworking tools than I need. But that is only because I travel so much for business. At the end of the year, I take all of my American Express travel points and trade them for AmEx gift certificates which I use to furnish my shop. But for the most part, all of those projects above could be built with a table saw, a router, a jointer's plane and a good set of bench chisels. The longer I do this, the more I like to rely only on hand tools. There is something really rewarding about spending a day in the shop without all of the noise.

Little Miss Chatterbox
    Thanks
    It would take me forever to make the amount of sawdust using only hand tools. I would still have little of value at the end of the day - just a lot less sawdust.
    ==============================
    live, work, love and be all you are meant to be.

Zealot

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 4,615 Times in 1,621 Posts
    Back when we had TV, one of my favorite shows was the Woodwrights Shop on PBS. The guy (I forget his name) made all sorts of projects using 18th and 19th century hand tools. He did make use of typical "power tools" of the day, such as his foot powered treadle lathe.
    Anybody else watch it? Is it even still on?
    Watching him hand cut dovetails was awesome. He gets a better fit by hand than I get with a router and metal template.
    Kill A Commie For Mommy

11. The Following User Says Thank You to rice paddy daddy For This Useful Post:

Inor (06-14-2014)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    I have heard of Woodwrights Shop, but have never watched it. But like you now, we do not watch TV.

If you like the old-school way of woodworking, check out Glen Huey:

http://woodworkersedge.wordpress.com/

He does amazing stuff. He does use modern tools, but he also reverts to a lot of the old ways. For example, I picked up on the idea to make custom scrapers for cutting detailed mouldings (without a router) from him. I used the technique to cut all of the mouldings on the audio cabinet above. I was really surprised that once I had made the profiles in the scrapers, actually cutting the mouldings was as fast as doing it with a router since I had zero setup time setting the depth of the bit and setting the fence etc. Plus, you do not need to sand them once they are cut!

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast