Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Wood stuff

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 34,018 Times in 10,450 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by inceptor View Post
    I ended up getting the SawStop contractor grade. It folds up nicely and fits in my mess. I've used it a couple of times now and what a sweet saw. Plus this is the one the wife wanted me to get. Who am I to argue???
    Congrats boyo! Welcome to the addiction.

Now that you have a nice new saw that is accurate and true, go to Homie Despot and buy a sheet of 1/2" or 3/4" birch plywood -not the cheap shit. It will cost you about $50 but you want something that does not have a lot of imperfections on the face. Then take it home and make some perfectly square boxes for your shop. Store nails in one, screws in another, your Playboy collection from high school in another; I don't care. Those boxes are your jig for making perfect 90 degree corners. It is MUCH easier to clamp a part to the side of a plywood box using a plain old F-clamp than using stupid corner clamps. Plus, F-clamps are much stronger.

You da mang!
    Admin for the most politically correct site on the web. Welcome to the OTP!

Follow our house build: http://www.mtacres.net/

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Inor For This Useful Post:

inceptor (07-15-2018),MountainGirl (07-15-2018),Sasquatch (07-15-2018),Slippy (07-15-2018)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 1,714 Times in 685 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Inor View Post
    Congrats boyo! Welcome to the addiction.

Now that you have a nice new saw that is accurate and true, go to Homie Despot and buy a sheet of 1/2" or 3/4" birch plywood -not the cheap shit. It will cost you about $50 but you want something that does not have a lot of imperfections on the face. Then take it home and make some perfectly square boxes for your shop. Store nails in one, screws in another, your Playboy collection from high school in another; I don't care. Those boxes are your jig for making perfect 90 degree corners. It is MUCH easier to clamp a part to the side of a plywood box using a plain old F-clamp than using stupid corner clamps. Plus, F-clamps are much stronger.

You da mang!
    I retired as of June 30th.

Already have some Birch. Got it on sale at Rocklers. One of the projects I'll eventually get to is a wall mounted cabinet/box for my hand planes. That's why I bought the Birch. It's gonna be a bit before I get started though, damn it's hot in Texas right now.

But you're right. Both Home Depot and Lowes are close by so I'll probably be getting my wood from there. I'll be going small and slow for a while until I get decent at this. I already have a number of projects in mind. One is Paul Seller's work bench.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to inceptor For This Useful Post:

Sasquatch (07-15-2018)

Don't get too close, I bite! Sasquatch's Avatar

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 13,039 Times in 3,886 Posts
    Got a hand plane and some wood chisels from my Grandfather when he passed away. Still haven't found the right project tot use them though. One day soon though.
    "That guy has the right idea, he wore the brown pants today!"

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sasquatch For This Useful Post:

inceptor (07-15-2018),MountainGirl (07-15-2018)

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567