Thread: Karrimor SF Sabre 60-100

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 1,996 Times in 896 Posts

Karrimor SF Sabre 60-100

Hey everyone,

I just got myself a new bug out/INCH bag. It is a British made pack made for the civilian market. It is also made to military specs and utilizes the British military PLCE removeable side pocket system, but unlike military packs, this one is actually very comfortable to wear. This pack is a 60 liter pack that has two zipper gussets which allow the pack to expand to a 100 liter capacity. The Sabre is made out of 1000D nylon. All zippers are YKK. The attention to detail on this pack is impressive. This pack is the smallest pack made by Karrimor SF that has a height adjustable torso adjustment system which makes this pack carry like a dream. This is a beast of a pack, and it is also quite heavy. The pack has an empty weight of about 8.7 pounds. The other negative of this pack is the price. I got this pack in coyote brown for about $260 from Amazon (standard shipping). This also does not stand out like a military pack in the coyote brown or black colors.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	93.7 KB 
ID:	2974
    This is a picture of the pack in 60 liter mode minus PLCE side pouches. I have a GI surplus 1 quart canteen in the bottom pocket, a Fiskars X7, and Becker BK 9 in the top side pocket for reference. There are two exterior pockets, three compression straps, a grab handle, and a zipper for the pack expansion on each side.

Views:	5 
Size:	99.9 KB 
ID:	2976
    This picture is the front of the pack. Karrimor SF packs are top entry. This pack also has a lower pocket/zipper entry. There are 2 ice ax loops, straps for securing ax handles, and crampon loops. I added the black shock cord for quickly securing items to the front of the pack. There are two vertical compression straps which hold the top lid. There are also two adjustable straps that help secure the lower zippered sleeping bag compartment. The straps that secure the sleeping bag compartment are also long enough to store a foam mat or bed roll.

Views:	4 
Size:	94.2 KB 
ID:	2977
    Close up of the lower zipper pocket, cinch straps, and ice ax loops. All pockets have twin zippers accept for two small interior pockets.

Views:	3 
Size:	104.2 KB 
ID:	2978
    One of two zippers to convert pack from 60 liter to 100 liter mode. Zippers run vertically near front of pack.

Size:	95.0 KB 
ID:	2979
    Side of pack with one 12.5 liter Sabre PLCE pocket installed. I plan on keeping a week's worth of food in one. I can remove the pocket and hang it in a tree away from camp when in an area with predatory animals.

Size:	98.4 KB 
ID:	2980
    Picture from front of pack with two Sabre PLCE pockets installed. Skinny items still fit into the main pack's exterior pockets behind Sabre pockets. I can carry my BK9 and Fiskars X7 on one side of my pack behind one of them and trekking poles on the other side.

Size:	100.8 KB 
ID:	2981
    Picture showing capacity of one side pocket. Inside is a full roll of Bounty paper towel with room left over for width and my Fiskars X7 for length. Each pocket holds a lot. I also ordered a Predator pocket for this pack which has compartmentilization for things like magazines. I am still waiting for my Predator PLCE pouches.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
    Last edited by Kfilly; 02-11-2017 at 07:47 PM.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kfilly For This Useful Post:

Arklatex (01-30-2017),hag (01-30-2017),hawgrider (01-29-2017)

Looks like a nice pack. Internal frame I assume with that weight empty. Good packs aren't cheap I think I paid about 170.00 for my Kelty from amazon. The external frame with folding shelf on mine weight just under 10 lbs then the weight of the bag. Mine is a backpackers/hiking pack. Less places to add or strap stuff than the one you have.
    "The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields

4. The Following User Says Thank You to hawgrider For This Useful Post:

Kfilly (02-03-2017)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hawgrider View Post
    Looks like a nice pack. Internal frame I assume with that weight empty. Good packs aren't cheap I think I paid about 170.00 for my Kelty from amazon. The external frame with folding shelf on mine weight just under 10 lbs then the weight of the bag. Mine is a backpackers/hiking pack. Less places to add or strap stuff than the one you have.
    Yes, this pack has a frame. It is two external heavy duty aluminum rails. The back plate rides up and down those rails for height adjustment. The back plate and hip pad are fairly rigid and prevent items from inside of the pack from pressing on your back. This is by no means a typical frame design. I do not really know how else to describe it.

Views:	5 
Size:	96.2 KB 
ID:	2983
    This picture is kind of hard to see. The left side of the image is the top moveable back pad. The right side of the image is the hip pad. The two straps are the mechanism used to raise and lower the moveable back pad. It is easy to adjust this pack even when it is on and fully loaded.

Views:	4 
Size:	95.9 KB 
ID:	2984
    The shoulder straps are nice and wide. They are also well padded. The shoulder straps also have load lifters. There is a long grab handle in between the shoulder straps.

Size:	95.5 KB 
ID:	2985
    The padding is thick and very comfortable. The little tan tab (close to buckle) at the top of the shoulder strap is supposed to be adjusted so it is at the highest point of the shoulder. There are a few loops of vertical MOLLE webbing and a D-ring on each shoulder strap. There is an adjustable chest strap on the pack.

Size:	97.0 KB 
ID:	2986
    The height of the semi rigid waist strap. The strap hanging off is part of a "lower" load lifter.

Size:	94.0 KB 
ID:	2987
    The thick semi rigid waist strap holds the pack on the hips. The rest of the waist strap is two inches wide.

Size:	92.4 KB 
ID:	2992
    Even though I had straps dangling all over my pack during this photo shoot, every strap has a retaining clip to prevent extra strap from being loose. These clips are attached to the straps and are free to slide to where they are needed.
    Last edited by Kfilly; 02-03-2017 at 06:25 PM.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kfilly For This Useful Post:

Arklatex (01-30-2017),hawgrider (01-29-2017)

If your attaching the pictures from the forums attachment there could be a size issue or a space limit issue thats affecting your trying to attach more pics. Try a 3rd party picture storage like imagur or photobucket.
    "The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields

8. The Following User Says Thank You to hawgrider For This Useful Post:

Kfilly (02-03-2017)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    The pack lid and interior.

Views:	0 
Size:	97.7 KB 
ID:	2995
    This pack has two pockets in the lid. The one on the exterior is the only one which is really usable as the two pockets share a fabric wall. I have a packaged Sawyer Mini and my fist inside of the pocket up to my wrist watch. This pack also comes with a rain cover which is stored inside of the same pocket. It was also crammed in the pocket during this picture.

Views:	2 
Size:	99.6 KB 
ID:	2989
    Folding the top lid over reveals a a compression strap over the top of the snow collar. There is a second snow collar with a drawstring closer just above the top of the lower zipper compartment. The second snow cover can make the pack a single compartment pack or be used to divide it into two compartments.

Size:	102.4 KB 
ID:	2990
    A look into the main pack. There is one interior pocket. It is a large elastic sleeve located toward the back of ot the pack.

Size:	101.3 KB 
ID:	2991
    This is a small pouch attached to a clip inside the pack. This little pouch is for valuables. It is also removable and can be worn on your person.
    Last edited by Kfilly; 01-31-2017 at 06:28 PM.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kfilly For This Useful Post:

Arklatex (01-30-2017),hawgrider (01-29-2017)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    This pack is incredible. Even though it is heavy, it transfers all the weight to my hips, and my load feels a heck of lot lighter than what it actually is. Karrimor really paid attention to detail. I am beyond impressed with this pack. I also ordered their Sabre 45. I have not seen a negative review on any of their packs. One last thing I wanted to bring up. Karrimor also sells a Yoke. The Yoke is essentially a lightweight harness that can be used to make a day pack out of the two Saber pouches. I ordered one of those, but I do not have it yet. So, I get a lot of value and versatility for my money. I spent just under $600 with all of the pockets (Predator ones were $50 each), but I got a lot of different pack configurations I can use. My 45 liter pack cost about $150, the side pouches cost about $50, and the yoke about $25. For about $225, I get a 25 liter pack, a 45 liter pack, and a 70 liter pack all in one. The pack I currently reviewed can be a 60 liter pack, 85 liter pack, 100 liter pack, or 125 liter pack. I did not even mention adding any of the Predator pockets to either system. These packs are also built tough as nails. A lot of people who own this brand of pack say these packs last for years and years of abuse. I am also by no means exceptionally wealthy. I put these on my Amazon credit card and will be paying them off interest free for a few months. ;-)
    Last edited by Kfilly; 02-03-2017 at 06:39 AM.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kfilly For This Useful Post:

Arklatex (01-30-2017),hag (01-30-2017),hawgrider (01-29-2017)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 8,673 Times in 3,616 Posts
    Great review. Like Hawg said, good ones don't come cheap. I'd like to see your inch load out one of these days. Thanks!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Arklatex For This Useful Post:

Kfilly (02-02-2017)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    I just received my Predator pouches in the mail. Those are side attachment compartmentalizations pouches for my bag. They have a 5 liter capacity according to Karrimor's website. I plan on keeping a Saber pocket on one side of my pack stuffed with food. I am opting for a Predator on the other side so I can have some organization for stuff I want to get in a hurry.

Pictures of the Karrimor Predator Pouch

Size:	102.9 KB 
ID:	2998
    Picture of Karrimor Predator Pouch. It is attaches to any PLCE bag. It can also be connected to yoke system to be a small day pack. It has three pockets on the front. The top two are the same size. The front pockets have Velcro and a plastic clip. There is a fold over Velcro strap that can cover the Velcro on the pocket if desired.

Size:	100.8 KB 
ID:	2997
    This picture is of my pouch mounted. I apologize the picture is kind of dark. The pouch is running vertical from left to right with the left side being the top. Just to the left of my hand is the top pouch loaded with three BX-25's. It also looks like I am pointing, but I am holding the lid of the larger bottom pouch open. The top pockets each hold three BX-25. The bottom pocket holds a 1 quart canteen, gun cleaning/maintenance kit, knife sharpener, Altoids fire making kit, and a laminated map I would like to be able to quickly access.

Size:	104.5 KB 
ID:	2999
    There is a large stuff stuff pocket in the back of the pouch. I crammed my arm inside to demonstrate its size. I am a pretty average 5'11 male, and I can almost get my entire arm up to my elbow inside. There are two Velcro straps which can help secure items inside as well as a small Velcro closure for the pocket. I am storing laminated documents inside of that pocket.
    Last edited by Kfilly; 02-11-2017 at 06:30 PM.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kfilly For This Useful Post:

Arklatex (01-31-2017),hawgrider (01-31-2017)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Arklatex View Post
    Great review. Like Hawg said, good ones don't come cheap. I'd like to see your inch load out one of these days. Thanks!
    Check the gear review section. I am slowly reviewing stuff in my kit.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Kfilly For This Useful Post:

Arklatex (02-22-2017)