Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Getting ready for spring planting

Found my way back to the barn. Baglady's Avatar

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 4,163 Times in 1,868 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TJC44 View Post
    O.k. stupid question time, but at least I'm returning to the OP, why would one move lettuce under a shade tree?
    Well, uh, who likes sweaty lettuce?

Seriously tho, it gets too hot in the afternoon sun. Wilts and kills it. Our weather is so unpredictable we have to get creative if we want the fruits of our labors.
    Being cremated...my last chance for a SMOKING HOT BODY!!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Baglady For This Useful Post:

Slippy (02-25-2017),Xerographica (02-23-2017)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 8,716 Times in 3,587 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Baglady View Post
    Well, uh, who likes sweaty lettuce?

Seriously tho, it gets too hot in the afternoon sun. Wilts and kills it. Our weather is so unpredictable we have to get creative if we want the fruits of our labors.
    Maybe you're working it too hard.
    BAH FUCKING HUMBUG!

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TJC44 View Post
    Maybe you're working it too hard.

VIP Member!

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 5,180 Times in 1,552 Posts
    Baglady You didn't say why the garlic was a failure. Did it rot, just not grow large enough? Garlic planted in the fall does a lot better than spring garlic. Raised beds are also a lot better with good soil. I use thin plastic roll mulch which help control weeds. I also us a piece of wood lattice to space my garlic. When planting I add a small amount of organic fertilizer in the hole before planting. I don't know it wouldn't grow in NE Ohio I'm in SE Ohio and it does well. Might also be the kind of garlic.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Broncosfan For This Useful Post:

Baglady (02-12-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Broncosfan View Post
    Baglady You didn't say why the garlic was a failure. Did it rot, just not grow large enough? Garlic planted in the fall does a lot better than spring garlic. Raised beds are also a lot better with good soil. I use thin plastic roll mulch which help control weeds. I also us a piece of wood lattice to space my garlic. When planting I add a small amount of organic fertilizer in the hole before planting. I don't know it wouldn't grow in NE Ohio I'm in SE Ohio and it does well. Might also be the kind of garlic.
    Yup I was always taught to plant garlic in the fall. I've been growing the same strain for 26 years. Some tricks are if you harvest the scapes before they seed the cloves will grow bigger. I always let a couple of the biggest garlic plants go to flower so I have seed for fall.

They say if you plant the clove in the fall instead of the seed you will get even bigger garlic cloves. Although I have no proof of that yet.... I did do this last fall for the first time so I will see how that goes.
    Last edited by hawgrider; 02-12-2017 at 08:27 AM.
    "The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to hawgrider For This Useful Post:

Baglady (02-12-2017),Broncosfan (02-12-2017),hag (02-13-2017),slewfoot (05-10-2017),Slippy (02-25-2017)

VIP Member!

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 5,180 Times in 1,552 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hawgrider View Post
    Yup I was always taught to plant garlic in the fall. I've been growing the same strain for 26 years. Some tricks are if you harvest the scapes before they seed the cloves will grow bigger. I always let a couple of the biggest garlic plants go to flower so I have seed for fall.

They say if you plant the clove in the fall instead of the seed you will get even bigger garlic cloves. Although I have no proof of that yet.... I did do this last fall for the first time so I will see how that goes.
    Hawgrider Good information. I forgot about cutting the scapes which I always do. I dried them this year for another spice. I have never saved garlic seed only planted cloves. I also think garlic does better if you purchase you stock cloves local instead of mail order from another part of the country. I have seen a difference in mail order and local. I also think it adapts to your conditions if you save you own to replant.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Broncosfan For This Useful Post:

Baglady (02-12-2017),hag (02-13-2017),hawgrider (02-12-2017),Slippy (02-25-2017)

Hawgrider Good information. I forgot about cutting the scapes which I always do. I dried them this year for another spice. I have never saved garlic seed only planted cloves. I also think garlic does better if you purchase you stock cloves local instead of mail order from another part of the country. I have seen a difference in mail order and local. I also think it adapts to your conditions if you save you own to replant.
    I had this same garlic given to me by an old neighbor 26 or so years ago been growing it since.

He always said eat whats in the ground and plant whats on top. I've done that ever since. But I read an article a while back that said you can also like you do plant the cloves. I did both seed and clove last fall so the race is on.
    Last edited by hawgrider; 02-12-2017 at 02:59 PM.
    "The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields

12. The Following User Says Thank You to hawgrider For This Useful Post:

Baglady (02-12-2017)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    I planted about 3 cloves in a large flower pot. I don't recall what time of year, but I left it alone for around 9 months or more. The leaves came up and grew tall, but when I pulled one out, there was no bulb of garlic. Just the clove I had planted.
    Where were you living in the NE part of Ohio?

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hawgrider View Post

What's a scape?

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 1,714 Times in 685 Posts
    Baglady, the picture will have to wait until next week. I didn't get it finished. Oh well, next weekend is a 3 day weekend for me.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to inceptor For This Useful Post:

Baglady (02-12-2017)

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast