Thread: Karrimor SF Sabre 45 backpack review

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 1,996 Times in 896 Posts

Karrimor SF Sabre 45 backpack review

I recently posted a review for my Karrimor SF Sabre 60-100 pack which I am intending to use as an INCH pack. Link: http://www.theoutdoortradingpost.com...ead.php?t=7410 Time to focus on a smaller bag in Karrimor's line up which might make a better bug bag option for most. The pack I am reviewing is a Karrimor SF Sabre 45. The Sabre 45 is a 45 liter no frills top loading pack. It has a lightweight rigid foam board for a frame. The back frame is removeable, and it can also be molded to a user's back. The pack itself is made out of 1000D nylon. It weighs about 4 pounds empty. The pack has a total of three pockets. Two pockets are on the lid (one exterior, one interior) and the last pocket is an elastic sleeve that runs most of the length of the pack. All zippers on the pack are YKK. The stitching is impeccable. This pack is also compatible with Karrimor's Sabre and Predator PLCE pouches. With those pouches installed, the pack can have up to 70 liters of very useable space. I purchased this pack on Amazon for about $150.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	95.1 KB 
ID:	3024
    The front of the pack resting against the side of my couch for size reference. I had two normal sized bed pillows in the main compartment and a round throw pillow which is about 16" diameter and 5" depth. The front of the pack also has two vertical compression straps, two ice ax straps, a set of crampon loops, and two moveable elastic holding straps (i.e. to hold ax handles or a small rifle). The top of the lid has shock cord for securing quick access items (warmer layers, wet tarp, etc).

Size:	95.5 KB 
ID:	3025
    Close up of moveable elastic holding strap. Plastic clip is a quick release device. Simply squeeze plastic to move it as slide and release it to engage it as a cord lock.

Size:	92.1 KB 
ID:	3026
    Picture of the back of the pack. The pack has one grab handle located between the shoulder straps and has load lifter straps.

ID:	3027
    Sorry for the somewhat blurry picture. The main thing I wanted to illustrate in this picture is the thickness of the shoulder strap. It is about the thickness of my finger.

Size:	94.3 KB 
ID:	3028
    This picture illustrates the width of the shoulder straps. They are very wide and comfortable.

Size:	89.7 KB 
ID:	3029
    The waist strap is well padded. The buckles do not slip and are easy to cinch. Extra strap can also be tucked into elastic band located on hip belt. Nylon belt is 2" wide. The hip belt also has a large rope attachment on each side of the padding. This can be used for attaching Caribiners or to carry small tools (like an ice ax). My first picture of the pack shows those rope attachment points on the waist strap.

Size:	97.4 KB 
ID:	3030
    The back padding is about an inch thick. There are ventilation channels sewn into the back pad. The padding is close to my first knuckle of my pointer finger.
    Last edited by Kfilly; 02-27-2017 at 09:44 PM.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kfilly For This Useful Post:

Arklatex (02-10-2017),BucketBack (02-10-2017),hawgrider (02-10-2017)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Review continued.

Size:	96.5 KB 
ID:	3031
    Each side of the pack has two compression straps. The compression straps are long so they can be used to lash things to the side of the pack (sleep mat, bed roll, small tools/large knives). All of the straps have strap minders to retain excess strap to keep pack tidy when hitting the trails. Each side of the pack has a set of zippers and four clips for accepting PLCE pockets. There are no exterior pockets on the side of this pack.

Size:	95.9 KB 
ID:	3032
    The top exterior lid pocket has a decent capacity for items one would want to access quickly. Items include 16 ounce isopropyl alcohol, 500 pack Q tips, large tube of toothpaste, and four pack of 60 watt LED lights.

ID:	3033
    Contents I had in the lid pocket during the photo shoot. It holds a decent amount of stuff. I also could have fit a few more smaller items inside.

Size:	96.5 KB 
ID:	3034
    The inside of the lid has a mesh zippered pocket. The pocket shares a fabric wall with the outer lid pocket which limits its capacity (only knock on the bag). This pocket is good for flat items, and it also has a key keeper.

Views:	4 
Size:	93.1 KB 
ID:	3035
    This is the view of the top of the pack when the lid is folded out of the way. There is a compression strap that goes over the top of the snow collar.

Views:	4 
Size:	101.5 KB 
ID:	3036
    The last pocket is an elastic pocket which runs along the foam back panel. The pocket is almost as deep and as wide of the pack. I can fit my arm into the pocket all the way down to my elbow.

I have a pretty standard build. I am 5'11" inches and weigh 190 pounds. This pack fits me like a dream and is comfortable to carry. It is also very modular as it accepts the same PLCE pockets I use on my Karrimor Sabre 60-100. With those pockets, my pack can become a 70 liter pack for extended outings. I will eventually do a separate review on those pockets and the yoke carry system. I apologize for not attaching those pockets in this review. If you see my other Karrimor review, I put a little detail on those pockets in my review. The pockets use the same attachment system.
    Last edited by Kfilly; 02-10-2017 at 03:01 PM.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kfilly For This Useful Post:

Arklatex (02-10-2017),BucketBack (02-10-2017)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 33,021 Times in 14,691 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Makes me rethink my Molle II packs

6. The Following User Says Thank You to BucketBack For This Useful Post:

Kfilly (02-10-2017)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BucketBack View Post
    Makes me rethink my Molle II packs
    I am becoming a big fan of the British Personal Load Carrying Equipment (PLCE) pack system. The PLCE is a set of bags which are compatible with quick removable PLCE pockets. The pockets are easy to add and remove from a pack. Karrimor makes a couple styles of PLCE pockets. Any PLCE pocket is compatible with any PLCE pack. The system is modular, and one can tailor a pack to suit their needs. Karrimor makes a Predator pocket which is a smaller 5 liter capacity pocket that provides more organization. The second pocket is a Sabre pocket which is a 12.5 liter storage pocket without dividers. These pockets can also be combined with an 8 ounce yoke system to make a small daypack. I intend on keeping my essentials in those pockets, and carrying a yoke in my pack for that purpose. I also plan on keeping a week's worth of food in one of my Sabre pockets. I can simply remove that pocket from my pack and suspend it in a tree to keep it away from predators while at camp. I have never done this personally, but I saw a video where three pockets (two Sabre and a Predator pocket in the middle) were connected to the Yoke to make a 30 liter day pack. I would not want that pack heavy as the yoke straps are not very padded.

I do want to add that Karrimor also makes MOLLE packs that are PLCE compatible. Their Predator packs have MOLLE. The only pack I would be hesitant to buy is their Predator 45 as I have seen a few reviews where people mentioned the waist belt does not transfer weight to the hips. I do not know about the other packs, but I would assume as the packs get larger that weight transfer will happen.
    Last edited by Kfilly; 02-19-2017 at 06:54 PM.

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    I like it , wish it was a little cheaper .
    God Bless the south , I believe in God , Country , Family , 2nd Amendment , Judge Jeanie Pirro , The Constitution, The U.S. Military , President Trump , The Wall , A Country Boy Can Survive ,

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Targetshooter For This Useful Post:

Kfilly (02-10-2017)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Target shooter, it is unfortunate the price is high. However, I look at this as a long-term purchase. This pack should last me a very, very long time as it is built like a tank. I also used interest free financing on my Amazon credit card which makes my packs and all the accessories a little easier to swallow.

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 8,673 Times in 3,616 Posts
    Another great review. I added a link to your other review in case folks wondered about the larger pack.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Arklatex For This Useful Post:

Kfilly (02-10-2017)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Arklatex View Post
    Another great review. I added a link to your other review in case folks wondered about the larger pack.
    Thanks for doing that!

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 3,702 Times in 1,442 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Targetshooter View Post
    I like it , wish it was a little cheaper .
    Naw .... if it was a little cheaper it wouldn't be worth a hundred and fifty bucks, huh?

15. The Following User Says Thank You to A Watchman For This Useful Post:

Kfilly (02-11-2017)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by A Watchman View Post
    Naw .... if it was a little cheaper it wouldn't be worth a hundred and fifty bucks, huh?
    ok you buy one for me , I can't spend $150 on it . I am on a fixed income . lol
    God Bless the south , I believe in God , Country , Family , 2nd Amendment , Judge Jeanie Pirro , The Constitution, The U.S. Military , President Trump , The Wall , A Country Boy Can Survive ,

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Targetshooter For This Useful Post:

A Watchman (02-11-2017),Kfilly (02-11-2017)