Thread: Karrimor Yoke Review

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 1,996 Times in 896 Posts

Karrimor Yoke Review

This review focuses on another part of the Karrimor Personal Load Carrying Equipment (PLCE) system. I already talked about my pockets in my previous Karrimor SF Sabre 60-100 review on this site. The last part of the system I am reviewing is the yoke assembly. The yoke is a lightweight harness that can be used to convert two (or three) Karrimor Sabre and Predator PLCE pockets into a small daypack. The yoke weighs approximately 8 ounces and folds small. I plan on carrying one in my INCH pack in case I have to ditch my main pack or for use as a small day pack when at camp.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	98.0 KB 
ID:	3037
    Picture of the yoke folded up. My hand is there for a size reference. It can also be compacted more as far as the height goes, but it tends to settle to that height when nothing is holding it compressed.

Size:	96.0 KB 
ID:	3038
    The yoke harness spread out. The photo was taken on my kitchen table. The place mat under the yoke is a typical dinner place mat for size reference.

Size:	97.7 KB 
ID:	3039
    The first step to attaching the PLCE (Sabre or Predator) is to zip the pouches together. There is not a left or right pouch. They can be zipped together on either side as only one side the pockets has a zipper pull, and all of the zipper pulls are on the same side.

Size:	95.4 KB 
ID:	3040
    The next step is to lay the yoke down with the back closest to you. The harness should be set with the plastic clips pointing up. The back of the yoke has the mesh back material. The top of the yoke has the four male plastic clips seen on the left side of the photo.

Size:	98.0 KB 
ID:	3041
    The next step is connect the four male clips on the top of the yoke to the female clips on the top of the pocket. Each pocket is connected to two clips on each side of side of the yoke harness.

Size:	97.9 KB 
ID:	3042
    After the top is attached, the bottom of the yoke harness has a male clip on each side which connects to the inner female clip on each pocket.

Size:	95.6 KB 
ID:	3044
    The waist strap of the yoke harness gets threaded through the sewn loop on each side. This helps keep the waist strap accessible.

Size:	93.2 KB 
ID:	3045
    Each shoulder strap has one male clip that gets connected to the outer female clip on each pocket. I am holding the strap out to make this more visible. The yoke is now ready to wear as a back pack. If desired, the two pockets can be unzipped to increase ventilation. The process is the same regardless of the type of pockets used except for the fact the Predator pockets do not have the webbing to secure the yoke's waist strap.
    Last edited by Kfilly; 02-17-2017 at 06:22 AM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kfilly For This Useful Post:

hawgrider (02-11-2017),Inor (02-11-2017)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Review continued.

Size:	97.4 KB 
ID:	3051
    What most people do not know is that a third pocket can be added to this assembly. I would recommend using two Sabre pockets and a Predator pocket in the middle. All that needs to be done to attach the third pocket is to unzip the two pockets already attached to the harness and zip the pocket to the two pockets already attached to the harness. The middle pocket attaches on both sides via zipper. The Sabre pockets are 12.5 liters each. The Predator pocket has a 5 liter capacity.

Size:	90.1 KB 
ID:	3049
    A visual as to how the pack fits. I have place weight in the pockets, and it is surprising comfortable to wear. The waist strap does sit up high but is comfortable.

Size:	89.4 KB 
ID:	3050
    How the back of the pack rides.

I apologize for some of my pictures being upside down. That is not how they were taken or saved on my iPad.
    Last edited by Kfilly; 02-11-2017 at 11:34 AM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Kfilly For This Useful Post:

hawgrider (02-11-2017)

Quite the versatile rig.
    "The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields

6. The Following User Says Thank You to hawgrider For This Useful Post:

Kfilly (02-17-2017)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hawgrider View Post
    Quite the versatile rig.
    Yes, that is one of the main appeals of the system I bought. I think I watched every YouTube review on most of Karrimor's larger packs. I did that to get different pack set up ideas in addition to see the features on the bags. The PLCE system is incredibly modular and can be tailored to each use. With two packs, four pockets (two Sabre and two Predator), and a yoke, I can create just about any sized pack imaginable. The best part is that these are high quality packs which are also very comfortable to wear. A lot of people who have done reviews have stated they have had their packs for many years before upgrading. Looking at the stitching and build quality of my packs, I think these will also last for quite awhile of hard use. It was the best $600 dollars I have ever spent.
    Last edited by Kfilly; 02-12-2017 at 06:15 AM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Kfilly For This Useful Post:

hawgrider (02-11-2017)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    I just learned about this add on for my pack. Instead of side pockets, one can add side panels of MOLLE webbing.

https://www.extreme-cases.com/produc...le-panel-plce/