Thread: Portable water distilled/multi-purpose item for my INCH bag

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 1,996 Times in 896 Posts

Portable water distilled/multi-purpose item for my INCH bag

I just purchased one of these from Amazon awhile back. I did a little test with it on my kitchen stove, and it really seemed to improve the water quality despite the crudeness of my operation. Anyway, the item I am talking about is a three piece set of stainless steel pots/bowls that can be used to make 2 quarts of distilled water per day. I do not recall what the exact product name is at this time. However, these pots/bowls nest. Uses for the top bowl include rain collection, wash sink, water carrying container, dog's food/water dish, and general container for carrying anything else. The small bowl can be used as a drinking cup and rain collector. The large pot/pail can be a big carrying device, large cook pot, and is big enough to wash clothes in. Of course, I would have to boil water in it to sanitize it again.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	93.7 KB 
ID:	3056
    A picture of the three stainless steel containers. The process to distill water is relatively simple with this device. The large pail is filled up and the water is brought to a rapid boil for a few minutes. Getting the water to a rapid boil for a few minutes helps remove some chemical contamination (chemicals in water that have a lower boiling temperature). Let water cool a bit, and place the smallest bowl inside in the water (it will float). Place the loose fitting medium bowl over the top of the pail. Keep water heated just below a boil to prevent chemicals with higher boiling point from getting collected. Fill the top bowl with cool water, snow, etc. to keep the lid cool so condensation drips into the little catch bowl below. The water in the top bowl can be frequently changed to keep the condenser plate cool. It will not produce perfect distilled water, but I think this is a pretty versatile little thing especially if you live near the salt water or really questionable water.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	94.9 KB 
ID:	3057
    All three containers nested together. It weighs about two pounds. The phone in the picture is my Samsung Note 5. It is a huge phone, but you get an idea as to the size of the thing.
    Last edited by Kfilly; 02-14-2017 at 09:44 AM.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kfilly For This Useful Post:

Arklatex (02-12-2017),Baglady (02-12-2017),hawgrider (02-14-2017),Inor (02-13-2017)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 8,673 Times in 3,616 Posts
    Ummmm. You should try running some mash through that thing! Think about it. SHTF and you're sitting on a gold mine for bartering liquor. Aka liquid gold. Sorry for the hijack of your review but it was the first thing that I thought of when I saw it. "Kitchen counter stealth still" lol. Thanks for the gear review as always Kfilly.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Arklatex For This Useful Post:

Kfilly (02-12-2017)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Arklatex View Post
    Ummmm. You should try running some mash through that thing! Think about it. SHTF and you're sitting on a gold mine for bartering liquor. Aka liquid gold. Sorry for the hijack of your review but it was the first thing that I thought of when I saw it. "Kitchen counter stealth still" lol. Thanks for the gear review as always Kfilly.
    This is more of a long-term survival item which has multiple uses. It is always good to have a few different sized pots when out for awhile. However, this one can help purify water. Is it perfect at that? No, it is not. However, one can really reduce the chemical contamination of their water by using a little common sense. By using common sense, I mean boil the water for a few minutes prior to starting any collection to remove chemical contamination that has a lower vapor pressure (boils at lower temp) than water. Let the water cool a bit and then start the process of collecting distilled water. Keeping the water just below a boil will prevent chemicals with a higher vapor pressure from getting into the distilled water. I know true stills are really controlled devices. This definitely is not that, but it should reduce what one is exposed. Even though it probably misses some chemicals, it probably produces safer water than my city's municipal supply.
    Last edited by Kfilly; 02-14-2017 at 09:37 AM.

Found my way back to the barn. Baglady's Avatar

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 4,163 Times in 1,868 Posts
    I like it. I didn't know that that was how you distilled water. And especially like you said, if you can use it to make drinking water out of salt water? Whats not to like?
    Being cremated...my last chance for a SMOKING HOT BODY!!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Baglady For This Useful Post:

Kfilly (02-13-2017)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Baglady View Post
    I like it. I didn't know that that was how you distilled water. And especially like you said, if you can use it to make drinking water out of salt water? Whats not to like?
    Yes, it is about $30 on Amazon including the shipping. It is slow, but it does work decent enough as long as one follows the method I described above.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kfilly For This Useful Post:

Baglady (02-13-2017),Inor (02-13-2017)

Found my way back to the barn. Baglady's Avatar

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 4,163 Times in 1,868 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kfilly View Post
    Yes, it is about $30 on Amazon including the shipping. It is slow, but it does work decent enough as long as one follows the method I described above.
    That's a damn good price, especially for stainless steel bowls/buckets that size.
    Being cremated...my last chance for a SMOKING HOT BODY!!

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Baglady View Post
    That's a damn good price, especially for stainless steel bowls/buckets that size.
    They sell larger sizes as well, but I wanted something smaller as it is more portable.