Thread: Stanley 1.1 Quart Stainless Steel Canteen Review

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 1,996 Times in 896 Posts

Stanley 1.1 Quart Stainless Steel Canteen Review

I wanted to take a moment and do yet another gear review. The product I am reviewing is the Stanley 1.1 Quart Stainless Steel Canteen. This canteen is similar in size and weight to the hard plastic USGI military surplus canteens. Most nesting cups and stoves that fit around that will also work for this. This canteen will also fit into the same same size pockets and pouches (It will not fit as neatly in a USGI MOLLE pouch, but it does fit). The canteen is a single walled stainless steel design. So, it can be used for boiling water. I have not personally done this with mine, but I saw a YouTube review where a person used this model canteen to make char cloth with no ill effects to the canteen. The canteen came with a nylon carry strap. I used a bolt cutter to cut the stainless steel swivels that held the strap on as I did not want those rattling around in my pack. I was in the process of instaling a small piece of wire through the riveted points that held the canteen swivels I removed so I can hang my canteen over a fire. The lid was also a bright stainless color. I tried using nail polish to color the lid as my previous pouch had the shiny lid exposed. I did not want a reflective object on my pack during a bug out situation. I have used my canteen for awhile for basic camping, and I am to the point where I can recommend them. The best place to purchase these canteens is at Wal-Mart in the camping aisle. They can be purchased there for about $20 a piece. For the record, I carry two of these in my INCH/bug out bags.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	97.8 KB 
ID:	3110
    Picture of my barely used canteen. I have another which has survived my testing process which has not been photographed.

Size:	96.2 KB 
ID:	3111
    The canteen has a duo opening lid. The smaller cap can opened when drinking from the canteen.

Size:	98.6 KB 
ID:	3112
    The entire lid assembly can be removed when boiling water, filling, and to aid in cleaning the canteen. Each section of the lid has a gasket to help prevent leaking. As an FYI, the gaskets do not readily come off, but I would recommend using caution when removing the lids as the gaskets can come be removed.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kfilly For This Useful Post:

Arklatex (02-21-2017),hawgrider (02-21-2017),juskom95 (02-21-2017),Sparkyprep (02-21-2017)

Stanley has a pretty good history of making good products. Their thermos is a hit!
    "The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields

4. The Following User Says Thank You to hawgrider For This Useful Post:

Kfilly (02-21-2017)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hawgrider View Post
    Stanley has a pretty good history of making good products. Their thermos is a hit!
    The only real problems I have with this canteen is the fact that it is made in China and the best place to buy it is China-Mart.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kfilly For This Useful Post:

hawgrider (02-21-2017),juskom95 (02-21-2017)

This is what Ive been using. Bought them at the local army navy store. Not sure if the are china or USA Ill have to look.
    Last edited by hawgrider; 02-21-2017 at 09:35 AM.
    "The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields

8. The Following User Says Thank You to hawgrider For This Useful Post:

Kfilly (02-21-2017)

Comes with the cup

10. The Following User Says Thank You to hawgrider For This Useful Post:

Kfilly (02-21-2017)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hawgrider View Post
    Comes with the cup

This canteen will fit the set up you have there. I do like the fact I can boil water in my canteen as it is always good to have multiple ways to make water safe to drink. Another unusual use for this canteen is to boil water inside of it, and place the canteen inside of a sleeping bag to help stay warm on a cold night.
    Last edited by Kfilly; 02-21-2017 at 09:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kfilly View Post
    This canteen will fit the set up you have there. I do like the fact I can boil water in my canteen as it is always good to have multiple ways to make water safe to drink. Another unusual use for this canteen is to boil water inside of it, and place the canteen inside of a sleeping bag to help stay warm on a cold night.
    I was wondering if this is the rig you thought it would fit in.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to hawgrider For This Useful Post:

Kfilly (02-21-2017)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks

Size:	94.3 KB 
ID:	3115
    The two styles of canteens are the same width, but the USGI version is tapered from top to bottom. As long as the cup is not tapered from top to bottom, it should fit. The Stanley canteen is also a shade thinner than its USGI counterpart even with the slight kidney shape of the surplus model.

Size:	99.4 KB 
ID:	3116
    This canteen is taller than the USGI version. It fits snugly into the ALICE pouch. There is not a lot of room at the shoulders. A cup may or may not fit with this inside of the pouch depending upon how much height it adds.
    Last edited by Kfilly; 02-21-2017 at 06:00 PM.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Kfilly For This Useful Post:

hawgrider (02-21-2017)

I Never Log Off!

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 4,573 Times in 2,015 Posts
    Nice reporting.
    You will never be forgotten. RIP Corporal Bradley Coy (USMC)

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Deebo For This Useful Post:

Kfilly (02-21-2017)