Thread: Vargo Titanium Hexagonal Stove Review

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 1,996 Times in 896 Posts

Vargo Titanium Hexagonal Stove Review

I carry the aforementioned stove in my INCH pack. I had mentioned this in a few previous posts and did a quasi review at that time, but it probably did not get seen by very many people. Anyway, this is a small bio-fuel stove. The stove weighs 4.1 ounces without its nylon case. I am guessing the case puts it up to about 5 ounces total pack weight. As I said, this is a small stove. It measures 5" diameter at the base when set up, 3" diameter at the top, and it is 4" tall. This model stove is a one piece design. All of the panels are attached via hinges, and there are no parts to lose. Assembly takes a matter of seconds. The stove has 19 ventilation holes on the bottom (3/8" diameter), and I believe the stove needs additional ventilation to be effective. I drilled the all of the holes in the side panels close to the diameter of the bottom holes.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	95.0 KB 
ID:	3125
    The stove folds fairly flat, and it fits in a small case.

Size:	87.9 KB 
ID:	3126
    The stove is a one piece design. All of the panels are attached by hinges. Assembling the stove takes a matter of seconds.

Size:	96.6 KB 
ID:	3127
    The stove set up. The shortest side is a door for loading the stove with fuel. The door also serves as a damper.

Size:	96.0 KB 
ID:	3128
    The stove has two slots that fit into the sides to support the fire pan. The last slot has two little tabs to lock the stove together. The last slot is pictured below. I use a small stainless steel cotter pin to secure that tab. That tab is a "U" shape that fits through the door. I drilled four sides with the same pattern as shown. All holes are 3/8" diameter. I left the door intact so it serves as a damper. I also left the side opposite the door intact to facilitate lighting in windy conditions.

Size:	91.4 KB 
ID:	3129
    This stove can be used inverted. A small fire can be lit under the stove. The fire pan can be used as a small grill.

This stove is good for one or two people. The stove is easy to light, and it generates a lot of heat for its size. I also like the fact I can burn whatever combustible material I can find. I am not limited by how much fuel I can carry which makes a bio-stove my choice for extended use. Titanium is a very durable metal that can withstand high heat. I also believe titanium does not readily oxidize. This stove cools very quickly after use. The stove burns little sticks, and it is easy to find fuel. Fires contained inside of the stove are small and are hard to see at at a distance.

This stove does have a few negatives. The stove does not work well without being modified. The bottom ventilation holes get clogged with ash, and the stove produces a smokey fire. After the holes were drilled, my stove burns like a champion. Titanium is a hard metal to drill. I used a drill press and used progressive sized bits to get my holes to the size I wanted. I supported the underside of the panels with a block of wood as I drilled the stove. This stove design does require a lot of attention to use as it needs to be fed frequently.

This is a great stove after it gets modified. It is too bad Vargo does not make some of the changes right at their factory.

I purchased mine from Amazon for about $50.
    Last edited by Kfilly; 03-05-2017 at 10:18 AM.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Kfilly For This Useful Post:

Arklatex (02-22-2017),Baglady (02-22-2017),hawgrider (02-22-2017),Inor (02-21-2017),juskom95 (02-22-2017)

Found my way back to the barn. Baglady's Avatar

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 4,163 Times in 1,868 Posts
    Titanium? Oh yeah! Thanks for the pic's and the tips. Looks good.
    Being cremated...my last chance for a SMOKING HOT BODY!!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Baglady For This Useful Post:

Kfilly (03-06-2017)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Baglady View Post
    Titanium? Oh yeah! Thanks for the pic's and the tips. Looks good.
    Titanium is different kind of metal. It should be a lot longer lasting than stainless steel models. I know it is also more heat resistant than stainless steel. It is also very strong and lighter weight than stainless steel. I like carrying a small stove like this in my kit for a few reasons. I can make a small fire that is hard to detect (very small small=little smoke, flames are small=do not emit a lot of light). This sets sets up a lot quicker than I could ever dig a Dakota fire pit. I can also carry a small piece of flexible metal tubing. I can use that tubing as a chimney and have this as a tiny heater inside of my shelter.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Kfilly For This Useful Post:

Baglady (02-22-2017)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 8,673 Times in 3,616 Posts
    Very cool little stove! I imagine it would also be great as a pot stand for an alcohol stove or fuel tabs if you just wanted a quick meal without hunting for sticks.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Arklatex For This Useful Post:

Kfilly (02-22-2017)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Arklatex View Post
    Very cool little stove! I imagine it would also be great as a pot stand for an alcohol stove or fuel tabs if you just wanted a quick meal without hunting for sticks.

Yes, it also works well for that. Another use is as a small windscreen. I like items that can be used multiple ways and for more than one thing.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kfilly For This Useful Post:

Arklatex (02-22-2017),Baglady (02-22-2017)

Found my way back to the barn. Baglady's Avatar

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 4,163 Times in 1,868 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kfilly View Post
    Titanium is different kind of metal. It should be a lot longer lasting than stainless steel models. I know it is also more heat resistant than stainless steel. It is also very strong and lighter weight than stainless steel. I like carrying a small stove like this in my kit for a few reasons. I can make a small fire that is hard to detect (very small small=little smoke, flames are small=do not emit a lot of light). This sets sets up a lot quicker than I could ever dig a Dakota fire pit. I can also carry a small piece of flexible metal tubing. I can use that tubing as a chimney and have this as a tiny heater inside of my shelter.
    I think its great we're finally seeing other materials available. It's well thought out and useful. Love the light weight.
    I found out about the Dakota Fire pit years ago, and love that idea too.
    Never tried it, but we'll be doing a good bit of camping this year so I do want to try that.
    Being cremated...my last chance for a SMOKING HOT BODY!!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Baglady For This Useful Post:

Kfilly (03-06-2017)