Thread: Going Nuts: A Rough and Dirty Field Guide To Foraging For Food

Going Nuts: A Rough and Dirty Field Guide To Foraging For Food

A Rough and Dirty Field Guide To Foraging For Food

You’re going to need nuts. No, get your mind out of the gutter… I’m talking about the hard-shelled snacks that grow naturally in lots of different environments and climates. They are light, healthy, and packed with protein to keep you plugging along and to maintain your energy. Nuts are awesome.

In the times of hunter gatherers, when humans roamed the land and relied on their tracking, trapping, hunting and foraging skills to survive, seeds and nuts accounted for half of people’s diets. That is huge! Imagine if half of everything you ate today was nuts? You’d go nuts (at least I know I would).

Now, I’m not suggesting you go full hunter gatherer as soon as food starts getting tight – don’t get me wrong. I’m only suggesting that everyone understand the basic concepts behind foraging for and identifying edible nuts in the wild in case of an emergency. Of course, it would also be handy to understand the best ways of finding and foraging for edible plants, fruits, veggies and roots – but that is all for another article. What follows will specifically focus on nuts.

The Nuts

Believe it or not, nuts are technically fruits. People who regularly consume nuts are less likely to develop physical health issues like coronary heart disease,
    https://survivallife.com/foraging-nuts/
    "The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hawgrider For This Useful Post:

Jerry D Young (03-03-2017),KnuteFartne (03-03-2017),RubberDuck (03-03-2017)