Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Snugpak Patrol Poncho Review

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 1,996 Times in 896 Posts

Snugpak Patrol Poncho Review

I know some of you are probably familiar with and carry the USGI Poncho as a part of your gear. I carry a Snugpak Patrol Poncho in my bag. My poncho weighs about 14 ounces with its included stuff pack. The poncho also packs small as it is about a 4" diameter x 8" long pack. The pouch has a drawstring enclosure, and the bottom of the pouch has a mesh material so that moisture can drain from the pouch if the poncho is packed wet.

The poncho itself is cut quite large and is designed to be worn over a large pack (elininates pack cover). I am 5'11" and 190 pounds and have a pretty typical build. The Snugpak poncho is made out of lightweight ripstop nylon. The front of my poncho comes down to about the top of my shins, and the back is cut slightly longer. This also is not a typical poncho as it has sleeves to keep the arms dry. The sleeves feel a touch short on me. If you have long arms, they will definitely be too short, but they have elastic cuffs to help keep them in place. The sides of the poncho are also fully enclosed. So, this pocho is not as versatile as GI variant as it cannot be used as a shelter. However, it does a better job of keeping the wearer dry than the GI poncho. There is an adjustable hood. The hood can be cinched down with two drawstrings. There is also a small zipper that opens below the hood. There is waterproof fabric behind that zipper, but it does allow the poncho to breathe a little better. The chest has a velcro map pocket that opens horizonally across the chest. Behind the map pocket is a large pass through pocket where a person can keep their hands.

This poncho does not breathe as well as the GI version. Conversely, the material is very windproof when worn. The poncho is a very lightweight material that can get blown around in a strong wind, but I will tie a small paracord belt to keep it around me to prevent that from happening.

Despite a few shortcomings, this is the poncho I am taking in my INCH kit.

Like just about everything else in my bag, I got this on Amazon. The poncho comes in balck, olive green, or coyote brown. The link below has pictures of the poncho and its features. The person modeling the poncho is not me.

http://www.sumosurvival.com/snugpak-...-month-review/
    Last edited by Kfilly; 03-05-2017 at 06:49 PM.

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Kfilly For This Useful Post:

Arklatex (03-03-2017),Camel923 (03-03-2017),Dwight55 (03-04-2017),hawgrider (03-03-2017),Inor (03-04-2017),RubberDuck (03-04-2017),Sasquatch (03-04-2017),Sparkyprep (03-05-2017),TJC44 (03-03-2017)

I've tried poncos. Yours sounds better with actual sleaves than the traditional ones I've used.
    Whats good about a poncho is your can drape it over your backpack if it doesnt have a rain cover and keep it dry too. But....

I always found that my arms got wet and my legs especially while moving thru an area with tall grasses.

My solution in recent times is I use my very small packable Harley Davidson rain suit as my back pack has its own rain cover. I stay snug as a bug and dry as a popcorn fart!

I'll try to dig it our and take a pic of it tomorrow..... if I remember.

Note: Im not really recommending Harley Davidson brand although it is a very small packable suit. Frogg toggs is another brand that is very popular and should be considered for staying as dry as a popcorn fart.
    Last edited by hawgrider; 03-03-2017 at 09:31 PM.
    "The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to hawgrider For This Useful Post:

Arklatex (03-05-2017),Camel923 (03-03-2017),Kfilly (03-04-2017),RubberDuck (03-04-2017),Sparkyprep (03-05-2017)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 1,384 Times in 626 Posts
    I have a Swiss army surplus poncho that works reasonably well. It's nowhere near as nice as the Browning rain suit I have for hunting. It really keeps foul weather out.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Camel923 For This Useful Post:

Arklatex (03-05-2017),hawgrider (03-03-2017),Kfilly (03-04-2017),RubberDuck (03-04-2017)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Camel923 View Post
    I have a Swiss army surplus poncho that works reasonably well. It's nowhere near as nice as the Browning rain suit I have for hunting. It really keeps foul weather out.
    I iniitailly had one of those in my pack. However, I went with this to cut weight in my pack. Like I said in a different post, my pack is always evolving.
    Last edited by Kfilly; 03-04-2017 at 08:10 AM.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kfilly For This Useful Post:

Camel923 (03-04-2017),hawgrider (03-05-2017)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 33,021 Times in 14,691 Posts
    Blog Entries
    My USGI Poncho works great as a tarp shelter, but it's heavy and sucks in the rain when worn as designed

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BucketBack For This Useful Post:

hawgrider (03-05-2017),Kfilly (03-04-2017)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 14,186 Times in 4,307 Posts
    I keep my USGI poncho rolled, . . . tied with blousing rubbers, . . . laying on the top of my dresser, . . .

It doesn't get used much anymore, . . . but will when it comes up necessary.

I've never had any problems with mine, . . . other than the fact it needs aired out every now and then. When I first got it, . . . the smell brought back so many memories of other days.

May God bless,
    Dwight
    If you can breathe, . . . thank God.

If you can read, . . . thank a teacher.

If you can read in English, . . . thank a veteran.

www.dwightsgunleather.com

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dwight55 For This Useful Post:

Camel923 (03-04-2017),hawgrider (03-05-2017),Kfilly (03-04-2017)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hawgrider View Post
    I've tried poncos. Yours sounds better with actual sleaves than the traditional ones I've used.
    Whats good about a poncho is your can drape it over your backpack if it doesnt have a rain cover and keep it dry too. But....

I always found that my arms got wet and my legs especially while moving thru an area with tall grasses.

My solution in recent times is I use my very small packable Harley Davidson rain suit as my back pack has its own rain cover. I stay snug as a bug and dry as a popcorn fart!

Note: Im not really recommending Harley Davidson brand although it is a very small packable suit. Frogg toggs is another brand that is very popular and should be considered for staying as dry as a popcorn fart.
    I combat that issue by keeping water resistant convertible nylon hiking pants in my bag. Those pants are not waterproof, but they do afford some protection. My INCH bag has also has two full sets of clothing. One set is in case I am somewhere where I am not wearing survival clothes. If I am wearing survival clothing, I can ditch a set right away.
    Last edited by Kfilly; 03-06-2017 at 06:18 PM.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Kfilly For This Useful Post:

hawgrider (03-05-2017)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BucketBack View Post
    My USGI Poncho works great as a tarp shelter, but it's heavy and sucks in the rain when worn as designed
    I never used a USGI poncho, but I heard that issue mentioned a lot. I will take a little extra weight to stay dry. My poncho keeps me dry. I also use a Snugpak All Weather Shelter (nylon tarp) for my INCH bag shelter. I can stay dry while I set up my tarp shelter. I have a hard time imaging how you guys manage to stay dry while converting a USGI poncho into a shelter while wearing it in a heavy downpour.
    Last edited by Kfilly; 03-04-2017 at 11:10 AM.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Kfilly For This Useful Post:

hawgrider (03-05-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by hawgrider View Post

Here is my choice of rain gear for the last few years its not super small but its pretty small for the type is. Keeps me dry on the scoot doing 70 in the pouring rain. Works well in the field too. Dry as a popcorn fart as my pappy used to say.

Zippo lighter sitting in front to gage the size of the rainsuit in the built in carry bag.

"The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hawgrider For This Useful Post:

Arklatex (03-05-2017),Kfilly (03-05-2017),RubberDuck (03-06-2017)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 8,673 Times in 3,616 Posts
    I used to pack a US poncho. I ditched it in favor of Columbia rain jacket and pants.
    Last edited by Arklatex; 03-05-2017 at 07:57 PM.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Arklatex For This Useful Post:

hawgrider (03-05-2017),Kfilly (03-06-2017)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast