Thread: Snugpak All Weather Shelter Review

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 1,996 Times in 896 Posts

Snugpak All Weather Shelter Review

This is the tarp I carry in my INCH bag. The tarp comes with a nice packing case. That case is not what you want to take out back packing. It also comes with a stuff pack for the tarp and a separate small pouch for the stakes and paracord. Here are a few details on the tarp. It is a 10'x10' nylon tarp. The tarp weighs approximately 2.25 pounds as a kit. The tarp comes with 8 aluminum tent stakes and four 10 foot pieces of paracord with cord tensioners. Each side of the tarp has 4 nylon tie downs (corners are shared). There is a spine which runs diagonally across the tarp. The spine has 3 additional tie outs for a typical diamond set up. There is also a brass grommet in each corner. I would never use my tarp in this fashion, but it has plastic snaps that allow it to be made into a bivy sack. Another use for these snaps is to snap multiple tarps together. This tarp is available in either coyote brown or olive green.

The tarp can be set up a few different ways. The colors it comes in makes it a good option for stealth camping. The aluminum tent stakes that come with the tarp are pretty low quality. I replaced thise with some light weight titanium tent stakes. I also took the plastic adjusters off of my paracord as I can tie knots quicker than use those. This is not the absolute lightest tarp out there, but it is solid choice. I bought my tarp and tent stakes from Amazon for less than $100 combined.

A tarp makes a better shelter for a bug out situation than a tent. It can be set up as a lower profile shelter than a tent for stealth. A tarp is quicker to take down and re-pack. A fire can be lit outside of a tarp to keep a person warmer than if they were in a tent. A tarp weighs less and packs smaller than most tents.

I will post pictures of the tarp later this week. I will also include some tarp set up configurations.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	94.4 KB 
ID:	3190
    A picture of how the tarp is packaged. The outer case is good for storage, but it is not so good for back packing. The coat hanger is in the picture for size reference.

Size:	89.3 KB 
ID:	3191
    The 8 aluminum tent stakes and the four 10 foot lengths of paracord. The small stuff sack is for those items to keep separate from the main tarp.

Size:	89.8 KB 
ID:	3192
    The tarp partially unfolded next to its stuff sack. Coat hanger once again for size reference.

Size:	93.2 KB 
ID:	3193
    Picture of opposing corners of the tarp. Plastic snaps, grommets, tie down, and main diagonal seam tape are visible.
    Last edited by Kfilly; 03-06-2017 at 12:09 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Kfilly For This Useful Post:

Camel923 (03-05-2017)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 1,996 Times in 896 Posts
    This is reserved for more pictures as a part of the review.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Kfilly For This Useful Post:

A Watchman (03-06-2017)