Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Home Canning: How To - Credit to Original Poster

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 3,702 Times in 1,442 Posts
    Okay, I am looking for some clarification on putting some peppers and cucumbers in mason jars for short term use. They won't last long enough to require canning before they are ravished .... mostly by me. I have reviewed the past threads and am a little confused regarding if I can just pour hot brine over my goodies on the mason jar without any further sealing techniques. Remember, I am not looking for long term storage.

With this method if possible, what is the best brine mix?
    Can I use sea salt instead of kosher salt?
    I have some dill weed and fennel seed, but no dill weed will this work? What's the difference in the end result?

In lieu of answering my dumbass questions, ya can just send me a few jars of what you got put up, huh?

Thanks guys, and any of you gals that are in the know.

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 24,848 Times in 6,976 Posts
    For pickles and peppers, we simply prepare the vegetables, (slice dice or whatever) and place them in clean sanitized jars with reusable lids. Then we season with whatever, (pickling spices etc, salt, sugar vinegar, crushed peppers etc) and add them to the veggies. Then we make a simple salt/sugar vinegar water brine; boil it, let it cool then pour over peppers and cucumbers. Screw lids on jars and place in fridge. Lasts about a month or so but normally eaten before.

Easy peasy

Quote Originally Posted by A Watchman View Post
    Okay, I am looking for some clarification on putting some peppers and cucumbers in mason jars for short term use. They won't last long enough to require canning before they are ravished .... mostly by me. I have reviewed the past threads and am a little confused regarding if I can just pour hot brine over my goodies on the mason jar without any further sealing techniques. Remember, I am not looking for long term storage.

With this method if possible, what is the best brine mix?
    Can I use sea salt instead of kosher salt?
    I have some dill weed and fennel seed, but no dill weed will this work? What's the difference in the end result?

In lieu of answering my dumbass questions, ya can just send me a few jars of what you got put up, huh?

Thanks guys, and any of you gals that are in the know.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Slippy For This Useful Post:

A Watchman (12-16-2017)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 3,702 Times in 1,442 Posts
    I've got my peppers, cucumbers and cauliflower in pickling brine and in the frig now using regular vinegar ...... for the upcoming weekend. Looking forward to them as is my oldest Son. I tried this cold pickling recipe (see below)from the bbq pit boys a few week ago and did not like the taste that overpowered the peepers, especially the cauliflower. Not sure if it was the red cider vinegar or the fennel seed.

http://bbqpitboys.com/easy-pepper-pickles/

Quote Originally Posted by A Watchman View Post
    I've got my peppers, cucumbers and cauliflower in pickling brine and in the frig now using regular vinegar ...... for the upcoming weekend. Looking forward to them as is my oldest Son. I tried this cold pickling recipe (see below)from the bbq pit boys a few week ago and did not like the taste that overpowered the peepers, especially the cauliflower. Not sure if it was the red cider vinegar or the fennel seed.

http://bbqpitboys.com/easy-pepper-pickles/
    The apple cider vinager I do not like. When we do the vinagar cuke slices for the fridge I always go with the white vinagar. Fennel is pretty strong.....
    "The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields

6. The Following User Says Thank You to hawgrider For This Useful Post:

A Watchman (12-19-2017)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12