Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: pay off the credit card

Daily Abuser
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 1moretoy View Post
    If you use a debit card you put yourself at a greater risk. Check with the bank or credit union you have it with. Most do not back you if it is stolen and you incur a large bill that isn't yours. CC companies allow you to dispute the charges that are not yours.
    This is so very true. With ID theft as prevalent and as easy as it is today, your walking on water chancing that the ice don't break going this route. Your better off with a CC and just paying it off during the 20-30 day grace period. That's coming from someone who lost their wallet this last Friday with ID's, CC's, ATM and a Military ID with my SSN on it. Thank God I had life lock and they were on the job and I have a good relationship with Navy Federal Credit Union on the ATM. Instead of being a disaster it turned out to just be a PITA and a bump in the road!!! BTW...You don't wanna know what I can do with that check book in a matter of minutes if I am dishonest and can get my hands on it. Just saying...

Daily Abuser
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Coppertop View Post
    IF it's paid off monthly, is it a bad thing to use? I always have enough money in the bank to cover what I'm spending. I like to use it so I don't have to pack a bunch of cash around and it's pretty difficult to get anyone to take out of state checks anymore. I travel from MT to WY almost every week.

It's difficult to make purchases on line without using one.
    No its pretty smart although it wont build your credit rating or get your limit increased nearly as much as carrying over a little bit of a balance every month. While lenders base your credit score on a number of variables one of them is seeing proof that you can carry over and manage debt responsibly making you a good risk which prompts them to be more willing to extend you a higher line of credit. lenders issue CC's to make money when you carry over a balance and they can charge you interest. When you pay it off every month in full they aren't making money and if they aint making money you aint likely going to benefit credit score wise or limit wise as you would in carrying a bit of a balance from month to month. The real trick for you as the consumer is not to max it out and make only minimum payments, the trap that all lenders hope you will do so they can rake in the bucks every month off you as long as you can continue to make the payments to them. Having a lot of credit cards will aslo hurt your score more than it will help as will having a lot of "department store cards". Get a Visa or Master Card or something of that nature and get just a couple. Having a couple cards like that will do way more for you than a dozen Department store cards will and will cost you a lot less in interest as well as annual fees and what not that they often slip in on you. Having both a Visa and a Master Card will also give you the most flexibility in purchasing no matter where you go. Discover and American Express are also good options too. The one I avoid though is a card through Capital One. Many beginers have to go this route to get their first card issued as they tend to cover higher risk people more readily than many others will. The down side is the interest rate and terms can be pretty brutal to you the consumer. If you have to go this route, do it short term to establish credit then switch to Chase, Citibank or someone else who has a much lower rate and more consumer friendly terms and ditch the Capital One card asap!!!

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 2,685 Times in 1,171 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by James m View Post
    Earlier this month we ordered something over the phone with my debit card. It was supposed to be a $5 charge. Well my checking account would up at -$100 yes negative 100$ it took what seemed like forever but I did get it back including the overdraft fee. I had to call my bank and the company that charged me, they hung up. I had to be polite to a company with a better business bureau F rating so they wouldn't hang up. Thanks for listening.
    NAMES!! What company?
    Admin for the BEST gun site on the web! WELCOME TO THE OTP!

I Never Log Off!

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 4,573 Times in 2,015 Posts
    I use bank of america, and i have it on my phone, with an alert for any transaction, online, atm actions, all that.
    I got "bit" a few years ago, some London airlines in Florida charged me 990 dollars, and 99 dollars a whack, until account was drained.
    B Of A gave me the amount I had in my account in cash, to pay the rent and few bills, while they worked it out.
    I am pretty satisfied, so far, and I just dont like "borrowing".
    If when I get into a better credit rating, I find a card with a great interest rate, I might use one, but havent found a deal I could not refuse yet

Little Miss Chatterbox

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 1,623 Times in 767 Posts
    Best thing I ever did was pay off my credit cards. I took a loan from my retirement and paid them all off now I make one payment every month which is less than the minimum payments on those cards and the loan will be paid off in 5 years. My credit cards haven't seen the light of day in months and if they get used they get paid off at the end of the month. Oh yeah I almost forgot the interest on the loan goes back in my retirement so actually I'm putting away a little bit extra for retirement.

-Infidel

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Infidel For This Useful Post:

dsdmmat (07-29-2014)

Daily Abuser
    Thanks
    Good deal. I would definitely go that route but they aint gonna give me a loan for what I still have left out standing on my CC's, so I got to just suck it up and bite the bullet on this one and let it be a learning experience. Right now I am making significantly higher monthly payments on the one with the higher interest rate so as to pay it down first and not take it up the back side on interest anymore than I have to in the process.

Zealot

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 4,615 Times in 1,621 Posts
    My wife and I have not had credit cards since 1986.
    If we can't pay cash, we just do without. A totally new concept for some, I'm sure.
    Kill A Commie For Mommy

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 8,673 Times in 3,616 Posts
    The one thing I don't understand is why paying off loans early doesn't help your credit. Is was told that by the loan officer at my credit union after I paid off a used vehicle loan. I would have thought it would help it...

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 4,646 Times in 1,327 Posts
    It helps your credit to pay them more of your money, apparently.

Passed on.
    Thanks
    http://www.windstream.net/news/read/..._collectors-ap

Posting to show the economy isn't as great as the politicians make it out to be.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast