Thread: They call me Mustard Nuts

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 34,019 Times in 10,450 Posts

They call me Mustard Nuts

I got an idea after doing some smoked peanuts, inspired by Hawg. Last time I did them, I did two batches. One batch was honey, chili powder and brown sugar. The other was just black pepper, salt and olive oil. They both turned out good, but salt and pepper batch was really oily even after being cooked. So I had an idea to try something different.

Today I mixed up 2 teaspoons of black pepper, 2 teaspoons of salt and 2 tablespoons of regular cheap yellow mustard and 13 oz of raw peanuts.

As I write this, I am waiting for the Egg to heat up to 350. Then I will smoke them for about 15 minutes, stirring every 2-3 minutes.

The idea is the same putting mustard on steaks. After they are grilled, you cannot taste the mustard but acts like a "glue" to hold the spices on. We'll see how it works out.
    Admin for the most politically correct site on the web. Welcome to the OTP!

Follow our house build: http://www.mtacres.net/

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Inor For This Useful Post:

hawgrider (03-21-2017),homefire (04-18-2017),juskom95 (03-22-2017),Ricekila (03-21-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Inor View Post
    I got an idea after doing some smoked peanuts, inspired by Hawg. Last time I did them, I did two batches. One batch was honey, chili powder and brown sugar. The other was just black pepper, salt and olive oil. They both turned out good, but salt and pepper batch was really oily even after being cooked. So I had an idea to try something different.

Today I mixed up 2 teaspoons of black pepper, 2 teaspoons of salt and 2 tablespoons of regular cheap yellow mustard and 13 oz of raw peanuts.

As I write this, I am waiting for the Egg to heat up to 350. Then I will smoke them for about 15 minutes, stirring every 2-3 minutes.

The idea is the same putting mustard on steaks. After they are grilled, you cannot taste the mustard but acts like a "glue" to hold the spices on. We'll see how it works out.
    Eagerly waiting for the test results.

Very short smoke time.... figgerin the mustard will hold tons of smoke?
    "The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields

4. The Following User Says Thank You to hawgrider For This Useful Post:

Inor (03-21-2017)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 6,450 Times in 2,487 Posts
    Its 19 minutes later already....how'd it turn out!!!!!

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OSFG For This Useful Post:

hawgrider (03-21-2017),Inor (03-21-2017)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by OSFG View Post
    Its 19 minutes later already....how'd it turn out!!!!!
    Just did the first turn. It is pretty windy so I am having trouble holding 350. I may go an extra 5 minutes, just in case. (I hate raw peanuts.)

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Inor For This Useful Post:

hawgrider (03-21-2017),homefire (04-18-2017)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    I ended up going a full 25 minutes. They are cooling off presently. I could not resist eating a few and the mustard seems to have done its job! They have plenty of salt and pepper on them and as the cool down, they are getting crunchy. The mustard also captured a lot of smoke. I am calling this one an unqualified success!

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Inor For This Useful Post:

hawgrider (03-21-2017),homefire (04-18-2017),juskom95 (03-22-2017),OSFG (03-21-2017)

I ended up going a full 25 minutes. They are cooling off presently. I could not resist eating a few and the mustard seems to have done its job! They have plenty of salt and pepper on them and as the cool down, they are getting crunchy. The mustard also captured a lot of smoke. I am calling this one an unqualified success!
    Excellence... Its now on my short list!
    "The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields

12. The Following User Says Thank You to hawgrider For This Useful Post:

homefire (04-18-2017)

What wood did you smoke with?

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hawgrider View Post
    What wood did you smoke with?
    Mesquite.

Update: They are starting to cool down and get crunchy and they have just a hint of mustard flavor. These babies are perfect beer drinking nuts.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Inor For This Useful Post:

hawgrider (03-21-2017)

Mesquite.

Update: They are starting to cool down and get crunchy and they have just a hint of mustard flavor. These babies are perfect beer drinking nuts.
    When you mentioned mustard and then honey from the last batch you did I immediately thought "beer nuts"

17. The Following User Says Thank You to hawgrider For This Useful Post:

Inor (03-21-2017)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hawgrider View Post
    When you mentioned mustard and then honey from the last batch you did I immediately thought "beer nuts"
    The honey, brown sugar and chili powder ones I did last time were pretty close to the Beer Nuts. Although they did not have much kick for having so much chili powder in them. I think next time I do those I will try using Zatarain's instead.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Inor For This Useful Post:

hawgrider (03-22-2017)