Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Here’s Why You Shouldn’t Join The Military

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 34,017 Times in 10,450 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rice paddy daddy View Post
    I beat the draft by enlisting in 1967.
    The rules regarding Army Basic Combat Infantry Training (BCIT) had just been changed to where the Drill Sergeants were no longer allowed to physically strike recruits. Although it was still done. And they sure cursed a lot.
    I wasn't about to let them order me to go to Vietnam, I beat them to it by requesting "overseas service in the Republic of Viet Nam". I still have my copy of the form.

Would I do it all over again? Absolutely.
    Would I want my kids to do it? No.

FWIW - The Moving Wall, the travelling replica of the Vietnam Memorial, came to the city not far away this weekend. I went down today to pay my respects. 514 of my Brothers, fellow soldiers of the 1st Infantry Brigade, 5th Infantry Division (Mechanized), are on that wall.
    They are not forgotten.

Perhaps that's why I'm in a sad mood.
    You and I have gotten to know each other well enough over the years that I can honestly say that you are one of the folks (outside of my wife and kids) that I do love and look up to. But you sure were a dumb son of a bitch in your youth! Thank-you for being a dumb son of a bitch.
    Last edited by Inor; 04-16-2017 at 12:38 AM.
    Admin for the most politically correct site on the web. Welcome to the OTP!

Follow our house build: http://www.mtacres.net/

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Inor For This Useful Post:

Innkeeper (08-02-2017),juskom95 (04-16-2017),rice paddy daddy (04-16-2017),Steve28 (04-24-2017)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 20,730 Times in 8,455 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rice paddy daddy View Post
    I beat the draft by enlisting in 1967.
    The rules regarding Army Basic Combat Infantry Training (BCIT) had just been changed to where the Drill Sergeants were no longer allowed to physically strike recruits. Although it was still done. And they sure cursed a lot.
    I wasn't about to let them order me to go to Vietnam, I beat them to it by requesting "overseas service in the Republic of Viet Nam". I still have my copy of the form.

Would I do it all over again? Absolutely.
    Would I want my kids to do it? No.

FWIW - The Moving Wall, the travelling replica of the Vietnam Memorial, came to the city not far away this weekend. I went down today to pay my respects. 514 of my Brothers, fellow soldiers of the 1st Infantry Brigade, 5th Infantry Division (Mechanized), are on that wall.
    They are not forgotten.

Perhaps that's why I'm in a sad mood.
    All the good, all the bad and downright stupid . . . I'd do it again. I would not be the person I am now without the military, it really teaches one how to take shit and make something out of it. How to beat your head against the wall day in and day out without getting a concussion.
    "Every person’s life is theirs by right. An individual’s life can and must belong only to himself, not to any society or community, or he is then but a slave. No one can deny another person their right to their life, nor seize by force what is produced by someone else, because that is stealing their means to sustain their life. It is treason against mankind to hold a knife to a man’s throat and dictate how he must live his life."

COFFEE!

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to juskom95 For This Useful Post:

Innkeeper (08-02-2017),rice paddy daddy (04-16-2017),Steve28 (04-24-2017)

Zealot

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 4,615 Times in 1,621 Posts
    I truly consider it a Blessing from God that He allowed me to go to Vietnam and return. And to have been a part of the 5th Infantry Division, Patton's Red Diamond Devils.
    I actually thank my Lord Jesus each day for this, during my regular prayers.

I think enough of Inor and Slippy that I enabled them to become Associate Members of the Society Of The Fifth Infantry Division. They have no doubt read the quarterly magazines that come with membership and have learned of the history of the 5th, and camaraderie between its members.
    It is my hope that they will one day attend one of our annual reunion/conventions and get to meet some of what I consider to be the best bunch of guys on the face of the earth.
    Kill A Commie For Mommy

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to rice paddy daddy For This Useful Post:

Dwight55 (08-03-2017),Innkeeper (08-02-2017),Inor (04-23-2017),juskom95 (04-16-2017),Unclefred (04-23-2017)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 6,450 Times in 2,487 Posts
    If you look at joini g the service as a job...then i agree you shouldnt do it. Lots of folks in already doing that and they stand out from the ones who do it as a service to our country and feel the commitment to do so their core.

I have two sons in with a 3rd joing the Rangers this summer. I still serve. Why? Simple... its what God put in my heart to do....not for money...not for praise....just a feeling that i must be where I am.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to OSFG For This Useful Post:

hag (04-17-2017),Innkeeper (08-02-2017),Inor (04-23-2017),juskom95 (04-17-2017),rice paddy daddy (04-17-2017),Unclefred (04-23-2017)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by OSFG View Post
    If you look at joini g the service as a job...then i agree you shouldnt do it. Lots of folks in already doing that and they stand out from the ones who do it as a service to our country and feel the commitment to do so their core.
    That was part of the reason I initially enlisted, but not the reason I re-enlisted. After I got hurt the first time I had the opportunity to get out (medical chapter) but I realized I did not want to. Interesting realization.
    "Every person’s life is theirs by right. An individual’s life can and must belong only to himself, not to any society or community, or he is then but a slave. No one can deny another person their right to their life, nor seize by force what is produced by someone else, because that is stealing their means to sustain their life. It is treason against mankind to hold a knife to a man’s throat and dictate how he must live his life."

COFFEE!

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to juskom95 For This Useful Post:

GMFuzy (04-23-2017),homefire (04-17-2017),Unclefred (04-23-2017)

Experimental User

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    I enjoyed this article, it is in fact very honest.
    I don't regret my service in the Navy at all even though it didn't work out for me in the end and I got Hurt.
    The military helped shape who I am, I joined as a street kid with a Mohawk, I learned the discipline I needed.
    I was well aware of the risk of injury when I enlisted in the reserves in 2003 but I still went active duty for 5 years.
    The biggest downside with the military I have found is when you are " spent" they give you the boot and expect the VA to handle things after- and most of us know how that goes.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GMFuzy For This Useful Post:

juskom95 (04-24-2017),OSFG (04-23-2017),Steve28 (04-24-2017),Unclefred (04-23-2017)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 6,450 Times in 2,487 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GMFuzy View Post
    I enjoyed this article, it is in fact very honest.
    I don't regret my service in the Navy at all even though it didn't work out for me in the end and I got Hurt.
    The military helped shape who I am, I joined as a street kid with a Mohawk, I learned the discipline I needed.
    I was well aware of the risk of injury when I enlisted in the reserves in 2003 but I still went active duty for 5 years.
    The biggest downside with the military I have found is when you are " spent" they give you the boot and expect the VA to handle things after- and most of us know how that goes.

It's not what have you done...it's what have you done for me lately....
    once you stop being useful, it has no use for you. But people have to remember what a military is for...It sends the masses in to do a job and fully expects people to fall by the wayside. It cannot be like GM that bankrupted itself by unreasonable retirement practices. Its tax payer funded so I expect no special caring, feeling, concern, or empathy. It's just an uncaring machine and thats what it really has to be to be effective. I'm broken in half a dozen different ways....but thats life and thats from my decisions in life....so Uncle Sam owes me nothing in my view...the fact it lived up to the retirement check was good enough...and if it were to dry up...Thats ok...I have my own plan to get by.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to OSFG For This Useful Post:

GMFuzy (04-23-2017),Innkeeper (08-02-2017),rice paddy daddy (04-30-2017)

Smooth conversationalist slewfoot's Avatar

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Did my time and damn proud of it.

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to slewfoot For This Useful Post:

hawgrider (04-23-2017),Innkeeper (08-02-2017),Inor (04-23-2017),juskom95 (04-24-2017)

Experimental User

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    I got hurt in service ( spinal cord injury) for which i was medically discharged under honorable conditions without having a medical board, and was given a 0% service connection by a doctor that I had never even met - 4 days before I was set to reenlist under an approved contract that the Navy reneged on.
    I knew I would have to fight the VA for benefits but never thought they would make it worse.
    It took the VA nearly 4 years to even schedule me for " emergency spinal surgery"........ Which they botched by first overdosing me with anesthetic, then they replaced my neuro surgeon with a student from UCSD medical school who proceeded to punch a hole through my spine resulting in a prolonged cerebral spinal fluid leak that lead to deafness in one ear, benign positional vertigo, and increased paralysis in both of my legs now.
    Lol
    But wait there's more!
    While transferring me to the icu post surgery the two male nurses dropped me off of the crashcart.
    I'm not even going to lie, I have 12 pins in my back and a bunch of other issues directly related to this debacle, I feel that adds up to a little more than 0% for a service connected injury haha.
    My first claim was denied because the VA lost my medical and service records, didn't ask ME for them at any time and then ultimately denied me because they spelled my name wrong and couldn't verify my service ( according to them).
    My case has currently been certified as being on the docket with the bva since feb 2016 and I'm still waiting for my number to get called.

I loved my time in the Navy, but the VA is junk

18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to GMFuzy For This Useful Post:

hawgrider (04-23-2017),Inor (04-23-2017),juskom95 (04-24-2017),Steve28 (04-24-2017),Unclefred (04-24-2017)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by GMFuzy View Post
    I got hurt in service ( spinal cord injury) for which i was medically discharged under honorable conditions without having a medical board, and was given a 0% service connection by a doctor that I had never even met - 4 days before I was set to reenlist under an approved contract that the Navy reneged on.
    I knew I would have to fight the VA for benefits but never thought they would make it worse.
    It took the VA nearly 4 years to even schedule me for " emergency spinal surgery"........ Which they botched by first overdosing me with anesthetic, then they replaced my neuro surgeon with a student from UCSD medical school who proceeded to punch a hole through my spine resulting in a prolonged cerebral spinal fluid leak that lead to deafness in one ear, benign positional vertigo, and increased paralysis in both of my legs now.
    Lol
    But wait there's more!
    While transferring me to the icu post surgery the two male nurses dropped me off of the crashcart.
    I'm not even going to lie, I have 12 pins in my back and a bunch of other issues directly related to this debacle, I feel that adds up to a little more than 0% for a service connected injury haha.
    My first claim was denied because the VA lost my medical and service records, didn't ask ME for them at any time and then ultimately denied me because they spelled my name wrong and couldn't verify my service ( according to them).
    My case has currently been certified as being on the docket with the bva since feb 2016 and I'm still waiting for my number to get called.

I loved my time in the Navy, but the VA is junk
    I got lucky when I was discharged, because of the intense backlash and the amount of deployments from my installation, there was more scrutiny on the VA to make sure everything was correct BEFORE the end of a Soldier's enlistment. It was a new program they started in 2010 or 2011 I believe, where one goes through the VA screening process before they are discharged, to avoid the issues so many like yourself had. We were unique as our installation had an unusually high op-tempo and ratio of deployed units, so we got some special attention other installations did not.

The bright side is, they identified my injuries on paper and only almost killed me once.

COFFEE!

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to juskom95 For This Useful Post:

GMFuzy (04-24-2017),Innkeeper (08-02-2017)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast