Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Here’s Why You Shouldn’t Join The Military

Experimental User

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Lol- I got out in April 09 just before they implemented most of those regs the following August I believe it was.
    I was told at the time of my discharge that there wasn't going to be med board because my command was in Afghanistan ( I was home in port hueneme ) and they emailed what they had only in their tri care computers to a doc at camp Pendleton who called me and said he didn't have time to review my records. Literally 3 hours later at 1600 my home port liaison chief told me I had four days to get out.
    Last edited by GMFuzy; 04-24-2017 at 09:57 AM. Reason: Spelling

2. The Following User Says Thank You to GMFuzy For This Useful Post:

juskom95 (04-24-2017)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 20,730 Times in 8,455 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GMFuzy View Post
    Lol- I got out in April 09 just before they implemented most of those regs the following August I believe it was.
    I was told at the time of my discharge that there wasn't going to be med board because my command was in Afghanistan ( I was home in port hueneme ) and they emailed what they had only in their tri care computers to a doc at camp Pendleton who called me and said he didn't have time to review my records. Literally 3 hours later at 1600 my home port liaison chief told me I had four days to get out.
    I went through a med-board after my second deployment, for an injury on my first deployment, but at the time the Army was hurting for Soldiers, so the med board was more accepting/accommodating . . . as long as one could still deploy. They (my doctors) were going to med-board me in 2011, but it would have meant staying on active duty a year+ over my last contract (and potentially another deployment) and I was simply burnt out on deployments and the whole Army thing. I probably would have been medically retired (due to time in service and the injuries) but I was simply done, I wanted out and to spend time with my family.
    "Every person’s life is theirs by right. An individual’s life can and must belong only to himself, not to any society or community, or he is then but a slave. No one can deny another person their right to their life, nor seize by force what is produced by someone else, because that is stealing their means to sustain their life. It is treason against mankind to hold a knife to a man’s throat and dictate how he must live his life."

COFFEE!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to juskom95 For This Useful Post:

GMFuzy (04-24-2017)

Zealot

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 4,615 Times in 1,621 Posts
    I never even got an exit physical.
    One day I'm in Cam Rahn Bay, Vietnam, 23 hours later I'm in Fort Lewis Washington. On a Friday evening. They separated out the guys who were getting out, told us the medics and doctors were off for the weekend. If we wanted we could get a physical on Monday, but otherwise they could have our paperwork done and have us out of there in about 10 hours.
    You know what we did. The next day I was free on the streets of South Florida. After 12 months deep in indian country, it was quite a shock.

The VA has me in their health care system, Priority Group Six, Vietnam veteran. I do not use them for any health care beyond my yearly physical. They gave me hearing aids a few years ago, and if I ever come down with any of the diseases the VA associates with Agent Orange exposure they are supposed to give me treatment and a disability rating. But i'd most likely be dead before seeing one damn dime.

The VA Vet Center program did help me with my PTSD, but I never filed a disability claim. At that time I wanted nothing at all to do with the VA system.
    Still pretty much don't.
    Kill A Commie For Mommy

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to rice paddy daddy For This Useful Post:

Dwight55 (08-03-2017),GMFuzy (05-01-2017),Inor (04-30-2017),juskom95 (05-01-2017),Unclefred (04-30-2017)

Little Miss Chatterbox Unclefred's Avatar

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 2,574 Times in 1,186 Posts
    I had many older friends and family over there. None of them got killed, one did disappear though, probably dead. I think they all have had ptsd issues, some are dead in the last few years. A couple are soldiering on and successful. My respects to them all.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Unclefred For This Useful Post:

GMFuzy (05-01-2017),juskom95 (05-01-2017)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 6,450 Times in 2,487 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GMFuzy View Post
    I got hurt in service ( spinal cord injury) for which i was medically discharged under honorable conditions without having a medical board, and was given a 0% service connection by a doctor that I had never even met - 4 days before I was set to reenlist under an approved contract that the Navy reneged on.
    I knew I would have to fight the VA for benefits but never thought they would make it worse.
    It took the VA nearly 4 years to even schedule me for " emergency spinal surgery"........ Which they botched by first overdosing me with anesthetic, then they replaced my neuro surgeon with a student from UCSD medical school who proceeded to punch a hole through my spine resulting in a prolonged cerebral spinal fluid leak that lead to deafness in one ear, benign positional vertigo, and increased paralysis in both of my legs now.
    Lol
    But wait there's more!
    While transferring me to the icu post surgery the two male nurses dropped me off of the crashcart.
    I'm not even going to lie, I have 12 pins in my back and a bunch of other issues directly related to this debacle, I feel that adds up to a little more than 0% for a service connected injury haha.
    My first claim was denied because the VA lost my medical and service records, didn't ask ME for them at any time and then ultimately denied me because they spelled my name wrong and couldn't verify my service ( according to them).
    My case has currently been certified as being on the docket with the bva since feb 2016 and I'm still waiting for my number to get called.

I loved my time in the Navy, but the VA is junk

The VA is the Bureaucracy the Government pays to do their job...which is spend as little money as possible on you. I WILL NEVER GO TO A VA HOSPITAL.

Don't get too close, I bite! Innkeeper's Avatar

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 7,310 Times in 3,090 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by juskom95 View Post
    I went through a med-board after my second deployment, for an injury on my first deployment, but at the time the Army was hurting for Soldiers, so the med board was more accepting/accommodating . . . as long as one could still deploy. They (my doctors) were going to med-board me in 2011, but it would have meant staying on active duty a year+ over my last contract (and potentially another deployment) and I was simply burnt out on deployments and the whole Army thing. I probably would have been medically retired (due to time in service and the injuries) but I was simply done, I wanted out and to spend time with my family.
    I had much the same as you an injury from my first deployment made worst on my second, I was transferred from my unit to a WTB unit at Ft Stewart, and spent 4 1/2 years in the program getting medical work done and going through the board when they decided I could not be repaired. I was finally medically retired with just shy of 21 years, with both an army and a VA rating, I got lucky, but I know of the problems many of the others speak about on hear about VA issues with getting a rating. I am lucky and we have a decent VA clinic in town which is great for basic care and they have a great mental health clinic here also which I do use for PTSD issues. But I avoid all the major VA hospitals down in Detroit and such I just hope they keep the choice program which helps those who live so far away from big cities be able to use local civilian doctors.
    To OSFG, RPD and all the other vets on here, I salute all of you for your sacrifice and thank you with all my heart.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Innkeeper For This Useful Post:

hawgrider (08-03-2017),juskom95 (08-03-2017)

Don't get too close, I bite! Gambit's Avatar

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 13,042 Times in 5,248 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rice paddy daddy View Post
    I beat the draft by enlisting in 1967.
    The rules regarding Army Basic Combat Infantry Training (BCIT) had just been changed to where the Drill Sergeants were no longer allowed to physically strike recruits. Although it was still done. And they sure cursed a lot.
    I wasn't about to let them order me to go to Vietnam, I beat them to it by requesting "overseas service in the Republic of Viet Nam". I still have my copy of the form.

Would I do it all over again? Absolutely.
    Would I want my kids to do it? No.

FWIW - The Moving Wall, the travelling replica of the Vietnam Memorial, came to the city not far away this weekend. I went down today to pay my respects. 514 of my Brothers, fellow soldiers of the 1st Infantry Brigade, 5th Infantry Division (Mechanized), are on that wall.
    They are not forgotten.

Perhaps that's why I'm in a sad mood.
    It happened before, it can happen again.
    It happened there, it can happen here.
    It happened to that person, it can happen to you.
    No one is immune to the trials and tribulations of life.

I'm not allowed at the Zoo anymore...

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Gambit For This Useful Post:

Innkeeper (08-03-2017)

Don't get too close, I bite! Gambit's Avatar

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 13,042 Times in 5,248 Posts
    my father and my brothers wanted me to join the marines or the navy
    when I was thrown out as a freshmen my father was upset and same time he said me being size I was and at times stutter the drill sgt's will have a orgasm ripping me apart then making everyone else suffer because of it
    which will end up me being a receiver of a blanket party
    It happened before, it can happen again.
    It happened there, it can happen here.
    It happened to that person, it can happen to you.
    No one is immune to the trials and tribulations of life.

I'm not allowed at the Zoo anymore...

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Gambit For This Useful Post:

juskom95 (08-03-2017)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 14,183 Times in 4,306 Posts
    I joined the USN in '63, did two tours on two different DD's, plus pulled a deployment year in Saigon and down in the delta with the very first (so I was told) PBR boat group on the rivers. We were up at Long Xuyen.

For the most part, . . . I had good officers, . . . good friends, . . . good duty, . . . we'll talk about the chow some other time though.

Do it over? In a heartbeat, . . . no questions asked. I get out the old uniform and if I'm able, . . . carry a rifle or a flag in the July 4th parade and the local county fair parade.

Got Agent Orange problems? I have no doubt, . . . VA says not. PTSD? Probably not, . . . but if I'm sitting on the front porch and just staring off in the distance, . . . just leave me be, . . . I'll be OK.

And like others, . . . been to the traveling wall, . . . will never go back again, . . . nor go to WDC, . . . I just thank God my name is not on it.

May God bless,
    Dwight
    If you can breathe, . . . thank God.

If you can read, . . . thank a teacher.

If you can read in English, . . . thank a veteran.

www.dwightsgunleather.com

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dwight55 For This Useful Post:

Gambit (08-03-2017),Innkeeper (08-03-2017),juskom95 (08-03-2017)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 20,730 Times in 8,455 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Innkeeper View Post
    I had much the same as you an injury from my first deployment made worst on my second, I was transferred from my unit to a WTB unit at Ft Stewart, and spent 4 1/2 years in the program getting medical work done and going through the board when they decided I could not be repaired. I was finally medically retired with just shy of 21 years, with both an army and a VA rating, I got lucky, but I know of the problems many of the others speak about on hear about VA issues with getting a rating. I am lucky and we have a decent VA clinic in town which is great for basic care and they have a great mental health clinic here also which I do use for PTSD issues. But I avoid all the major VA hospitals down in Detroit and such I just hope they keep the choice program which helps those who live so far away from big cities be able to use local civilian doctors.
    To OSFG, RPD and all the other vets on here, I salute all of you for your sacrifice and thank you with all my heart.
    I already knew my injuries couldn't be repaired, at least repaired to the point of making me deployable again and I knew a few in the WTU on base . . . they said it was miserable. They were in a perpetual 'sit around and wait,' every day. No work, not even crappy details or connex drills, nothing. It would have been four or five more years of doing nothing (if they didn't snag me for a deployment in that time!) so I said "screw it," and went civilian.

On a bright not, I might have FINALLY gotten a VA appointment after five years of trying!
    "Every person’s life is theirs by right. An individual’s life can and must belong only to himself, not to any society or community, or he is then but a slave. No one can deny another person their right to their life, nor seize by force what is produced by someone else, because that is stealing their means to sustain their life. It is treason against mankind to hold a knife to a man’s throat and dictate how he must live his life."

COFFEE!

19. The Following User Says Thank You to juskom95 For This Useful Post:

Innkeeper (08-03-2017)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast