Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Here’s Why You Shouldn’t Join The Military

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 6,450 Times in 2,487 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by juskom95 View Post
    Read the article again, is it not military bashing.
    Initially I read it as bashing, however by the end I could see the intent of the article....Anyone who joins for any reason other than intention to serve and gain a unique perspective on the world is foolish or stupid, because no one outside of Generals and politician get rich working for the people.

There is lots of insight there, (if you've ever seen the Milky Way as I have) but also some some tongue and cheek that comes across hard.

I liked it.

Regrets.... Missed time with my family. Thats about it.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OSFG For This Useful Post:

Innkeeper (08-03-2017),juskom95 (08-04-2017)

Don't get too close, I bite! Innkeeper's Avatar

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 7,310 Times in 3,090 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OSFG View Post
    Initially I read it as bashing, however by the end I could see the intent of the article....Anyone who joins for any reason other than intention to serve and gain a unique perspective on the world is foolish or stupid, because no one outside of Generals and politician get rich working for the people.

There is lots of insight there, (if you've ever seen the Milky Way as I have) but also some some tongue and cheek that comes across hard.

I liked it.

Regrets.... Missed time with my family. Thats about it.
    Amen

Don't get too close, I bite! Innkeeper's Avatar

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 7,310 Times in 3,090 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by juskom95 View Post
    I already knew my injuries couldn't be repaired, at least repaired to the point of making me deployable again and I knew a few in the WTU on base . . . they said it was miserable. They were in a perpetual 'sit around and wait,' every day. No work, not even crappy details or connex drills, nothing. It would have been four or five more years of doing nothing (if they didn't snag me for a deployment in that time!) so I said "screw it," and went civilian.

On a bright not, I might have FINALLY gotten a VA appointment after five years of trying!
    I got Lucky I only Spent 3 months at the WTU and got offered a slot in a CBWTU sent home to get medical work there and work for the Gov't in my home town. It worked out pretty good especially since I knew with the Back injury and 16 years in service they would not keep me but the slow process allowed me to finish up my time and I got my 20 years though I was listed as 70% by the Army. So I took the money and ran with it all the way back to college.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Innkeeper For This Useful Post:

juskom95 (08-04-2017)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 20,730 Times in 8,455 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Innkeeper View Post
    I got Lucky I only Spent 3 months at the WTU and got offered a slot in a CBWTU sent home to get medical work there and work for the Gov't in my home town. It worked out pretty good especially since I knew with the Back injury and 16 years in service they would not keep me but the slow process allowed me to finish up my time and I got my 20 years though I was listed as 70% by the Army. So I took the money and ran with it all the way back to college.
    The WTU was brand new then (~2010-2011) so it was mismanaged pretty bad. One of the common occurrences there was paperwork being screwed up, so suddenly that injured soldier was now deployable again. So they would get deployed or moved to a unit and the process would reset.

Really the only thing I don't have is a retiree card, so not a big issue for me.
    "Every person’s life is theirs by right. An individual’s life can and must belong only to himself, not to any society or community, or he is then but a slave. No one can deny another person their right to their life, nor seize by force what is produced by someone else, because that is stealing their means to sustain their life. It is treason against mankind to hold a knife to a man’s throat and dictate how he must live his life."

COFFEE!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to juskom95 For This Useful Post:

Innkeeper (08-04-2017)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234