Thread: Ruffwear Palisades Dog Pack Review

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 1,996 Times in 896 Posts

Ruffwear Palisades Dog Pack Review

This is a different kind of gear review. This one is for the dogs. Anyway, I have two dogs I made bug out bags for. This is the pack I chose for my 2 year lab pointer mix. The Ruffwear Palisades is a large pack for dogs, and it is also a spendy pack. Ruffwear makes a similar pack called the Approach which is about half the price, but lacks a few features (water bladders, removeable saddle bags, and side compression straps). This pack comes in three sizes (small, medium, and you guessed it--large). This pack is fairly easily to measure for your dog. The only measurement you need to get is the diameter of the largest part of the chest. This pack weighs 2 pounds 5 ounces. The small pack has a 10 liter capacity, medium 14 liters, and large is 19 liters. This pack has some great features if I have to bug out on foot. The saddle bags are removeable for rough terrain, water crossings, or rest stops. When the saddle bags are removed, the harness can be left on the dog to control the dog. This pack provides the owner with just using the harness in addition to having a pack. The pack/harness has a five point system to keep your dog from escaping. All of the stitching is excellent, and critical parts are heavily reinforced.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	90.1 KB 
ID:	3365
    Picture of the overall pack width. A dining placement is under the pack for size reference. My dog wears a medium pack.

Size:	82.4 KB 
ID:	3366
    Each side of the pack has three separate pockets. The zippers are water resistant, and they close to the rear of the pack. There are also two rows of webbing for attaching addition gear to the pack exterior. They run parallel to the top pocket on each side of the pack.

Size:	89.2 KB 
ID:	3367
    The middle pocket on each side has an internal divider.

Size:	87.7 KB 
ID:	3368
    The exterior pockets have a compression system to keep the pack small when empty and keep the contents from bouncing around. There is also a drain grommet on this pocket as it is not totally water proof.

Size:	86.5 KB 
ID:	3369
    This pack comes with two soft 1 liter water bladders.

Size:	90.2 KB 
ID:	3370
    The pack can be removed from the harness by sliding four clips through the slots in the pack. That area of the pack is reinforced.

Size:	95.6 KB 
ID:	3371
    There is a small clip on each side which clip around the chest strap to prevent the saddle bags bouncing around.
    Last edited by Kfilly; 04-07-2017 at 09:21 PM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kfilly For This Useful Post:

hawgrider (04-07-2017),juskom95 (04-07-2017)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 1,996 Times in 896 Posts
    Review continued..

Size:	92.8 KB 
ID:	3372
    Picture of the top of the harness assembly without the saddle bags attached. All of the critical points are heavily reinforced. This pack/harness can be used as a lifting aid for your pet.

Size:	91.7 KB 
ID:	3373
    Picture of the underside of the harness. The straps do not side or loosen once adjusted. The clips also have padding under them.

Size:	96.5 KB 
ID:	3374
    Close up of the leash attachment ring, grab handle, and two of the points where the straps are attached. They are really sewn well.

Size:	94.0 KB 
ID:	3375
    It fits my girl well. She likes wearing it, and the bags do not shift around when worn. She is modeling it in harness mode here.

My bitches can carry their own gear. This is also a good idea for anyone with an active dog that wants to tire them out.
    Last edited by Kfilly; 04-07-2017 at 11:04 AM.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kfilly For This Useful Post:

hawgrider (04-07-2017),juskom95 (04-07-2017)

I like it! Modern version of this-

"The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hawgrider For This Useful Post:

hag (04-07-2017),Kfilly (04-07-2017),RubberDuck (04-07-2017)