Thread: Ruffwear Highlands Sleeping Bag for Dogs Review

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 1,996 Times in 896 Posts

Ruffwear Highlands Sleeping Bag for Dogs Review

It is official. This thread is now going to the dogs! Anyway, I ordered a sleeping bag for my dog to use if I have to bug out on foot. This is a small, lightweight sleeping bag (1.9 pounds). The bag comes with a small stuff sack. The stuff sack can be attached to the Ruffwear Palisades pack I purchased which means my dog can carry a majority of her own sleep system. The sleeping bag itself is made out of synthetic materials, and it is water resistant. There is a small pocket on the underside which accepts a piece of a foam bed roll. The sleeping bag can be staked down on all four corners to keep it in place. The bag has a large clamshell style opening which is fully zippered, and that makes it easier to get the dog inside. My 50 pound lab pointer mix fits inside of the bag with room to spare. I have read reviews where people said this sleeping bag fit dogs as large as 75 pounds.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	95.6 KB 
ID:	3376
    The stuff sack is roughly 12" long by 7" diameter. It has a row of webbing going down the length of one side of the sack which allows it to get tied off to other packs. There is a also a grab handle on the bottom of the stuff sack which makes it easy to remove the sleeping bag.

Size:	92.0 KB 
ID:	3377
    The wide clamshell style opening of the sleeping bag makes it easy to get dogs inside.

Size:	91.4 KB 
ID:	3378
    Picture of my 50 pound dog inside of the bag. There is plentry of room for her to ball up or for a larger dog.

Size:	109.1 KB 
ID:	3379
    The underside of the bag has a pocket for a bedrolls of help insulate the dog from the ground.
    Last edited by Kfilly; 04-07-2017 at 02:17 PM.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kfilly For This Useful Post:

juskom95 (04-07-2017),MI.oldguy (04-07-2017),Unclefred (04-07-2017)

Little Miss Chatterbox Unclefred's Avatar

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 2,574 Times in 1,186 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kfilly View Post
    It is official. This thread is now going to the dogs! Anyway, I ordered a sleeping bag for my dog to use if I have to bug out on foot. This is a small, lightweight sleeping bag (1.9 pounds). The bag comes with a small stuff sack. The stuff sack can be attached to the Ruffwear Palisades pack I purchased which means my dog can carry majority of her own sleep system. The sleeping bag itself is made out of synthetic materials, and it is water resistant. There is a small pocket on the underside which accepts a piece of a foam bed roll. The sleeping bag can be staked down on all four corners to keep it in place. The bag has a large clamshell style opening which is fully zippered, and that makes it easier to get the dog inside. My 50 pound lab pointer mix fits inside of the bag with room to spare. I have read reviews where people said this sleeping bag fit dogs as large as 75 pounds.
    That's pretty cool. I'm not sure if my GS would cooperate though. She might, she hates the rain.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Unclefred For This Useful Post:

Kfilly (04-07-2017)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 20,730 Times in 8,455 Posts
    My previous dogs have always wanted to get into the bag with someone so I had never thought about this. Neat idea, especially if you're making the dog carry it!
    "Every person’s life is theirs by right. An individual’s life can and must belong only to himself, not to any society or community, or he is then but a slave. No one can deny another person their right to their life, nor seize by force what is produced by someone else, because that is stealing their means to sustain their life. It is treason against mankind to hold a knife to a man’s throat and dictate how he must live his life."

COFFEE!

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to juskom95 For This Useful Post:

Kfilly (04-07-2017),Unclefred (04-07-2017)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by juskom95 View Post
    My previous dogs have always wanted to get into the bag with someone so I had never thought about this. Neat idea, especially if you're making the dog carry it!
    I never would have thought of this myself. I stumbled across a YouTube channel I found interesting (Hiker in Estonia). She is actually kind of pretty, and she has some good information about survival. She did a review on this sleeping bag which is the sole reason I bought it. I had never heard of dog sleeping bags before then. You should check out some of her videos.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kfilly For This Useful Post:

juskom95 (04-07-2017),Unclefred (04-07-2017)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 20,730 Times in 8,455 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kfilly View Post
    I never would have thought of this myself. I stumbled across a YouTube channel I found interesting (Hiker in Estonia). She is actually kind of pretty, and she has some good information about survival. She did a review on this sleeping bag which is the sole reason I bought it. I had never heard of dog sleeping bags before then. You should check out some of her videos.
    I plan on hiking more and taking the 'family dog,' with me, so this is some good information.
    "Every person’s life is theirs by right. An individual’s life can and must belong only to himself, not to any society or community, or he is then but a slave. No one can deny another person their right to their life, nor seize by force what is produced by someone else, because that is stealing their means to sustain their life. It is treason against mankind to hold a knife to a man’s throat and dictate how he must live his life."

COFFEE!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to juskom95 For This Useful Post:

Kfilly (04-07-2017)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Unclefred View Post
    That's pretty cool. I'm not sure if my GS would cooperate though. She might, she hates the rain.
    Order one from Amazon. If your dog does not like it, send it back. I was initially worried about that myself. My dog wants lay on it as soon as I set it out. She tried to get in all the photos. It has been warm here so she does not really like being zipped inside which is understandable.
    Last edited by Kfilly; 04-07-2017 at 02:53 PM.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kfilly For This Useful Post:

juskom95 (04-07-2017),Unclefred (04-07-2017)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by juskom95 View Post
    I plan on hiking more and taking the 'family dog,' with me, so this is some good information.
    My two dogs carry all of their stuff. My toy Australian shepherd is old and cannot carry much, but she can handle four days worth of food, her leash, and a collapsable bowl. My larger dog can carry all her food, a liter of water, a leash, and her sleeping sleeping bag. Depending upon the hike intensity, you will want to feed your dog an extra meal. I typically feed my dogs twice a day, but they would get a third meal if we are hiking all day to make up for calories burned. I pack their food in Foodsaver bags. Each meal is prepackaged separately. That protects their food from moisture and eliminates the need for measuring anything. It also helps keep their packs compact. That is what I do on overnight trips. I use the same set up for my dogs' bug out bags. I pack four days worth of food in my dogs' bug out bags.
    Last edited by Kfilly; 04-09-2017 at 08:04 AM.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kfilly For This Useful Post:

hawgrider (04-07-2017),juskom95 (04-10-2017)