Thread: Pressure Canning with a Glass Top Stove: 3 Solutions

Pressure Canning with a Glass Top Stove: 3 Solutions

1. There can be damage to the cooktop from the excessive heat that reflects back down on the surface, especially if the canners used are too large of a diameter than is intended for the burner being used. The damage can range from discoloration of white tops to actual burner damage to cracking of the glass tops to fusion of the metal to the glass top…

2. Many of these cooktops have automatic cut-offs on their burners when heat gets excessive. If that option is built in, and the burner under a canner shuts off during the process time, then the product will be underprocessed and cannot be salvaged as a canned food. The process time must be continuous at the intended temperature, or microorganisms may survive. Also, if the pressure drops quickly, most likely liquid and maybe even food will be lost from the jar (it will spill over from the area of higher pressure inside the jar to the lower pressure now in the canner around the jar).

3. Even if boiling water canning is approved by the manufacturer, it may be necessary to fashion your own canner out of a flat-bottomed stockpot with a bottom rack inserted. Many canners do not have flat enough bottoms to work well on a smooth cooktop to be able to maintain a full boil over the tops of the jars. The pot used as a canner must also be large enough to have lots of water boiling freely around the jars, and at least 1 inch over the tops of jars. If the canner is too small, then it starts boiling faster than expected and the total required heat the jars receive in the canner even before the process time begins can be too short.
    http://www.theorganicprepper.ca/pres...tions-10142015
    "The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields

2. The Following User Says Thank You to hawgrider For This Useful Post:

MountainGirl (07-11-2022)

Found my way back to the barn. Baglady's Avatar

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 4,163 Times in 1,868 Posts
    Learn something new every day. We bought a glass top stove this past year, and I haven't used the pressure canner on it yet.
    I'll take this advise and use the outdoor cooking burners instead.
    thanks Hawg.
    Being cremated...my last chance for a SMOKING HOT BODY!!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Baglady For This Useful Post:

hawgrider (05-09-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Baglady View Post
    Learn something new every day. We bought a glass top stove this past year, and I haven't used the pressure canner on it yet.
    I'll take this advise and use the outdoor cooking burners instead.
    thanks Hawg.
    I did 2 years of heavy water bath canning on my glasstop stove. The glass cracked one day a couple years later cooking a regular meal. I blame it on all the canning we did on it.

I have the 16QT presto pressure canner so that should be good to go.

The big no no on glass tops is the traditional water bath canners that don't have a flat bottom and are way bigger that the burner.
    "The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields

Found my way back to the barn. Baglady's Avatar

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 4,163 Times in 1,868 Posts
    Both of our canners, (water bath and pressure) are bigger than the large burner. So, I'll play it safe and use the outdoor burners. We bought two propane burners that are cast iron, and about 14" - 16" wide. They were about $30 each.
    Being cremated...my last chance for a SMOKING HOT BODY!!

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Baglady For This Useful Post:

hawgrider (05-09-2017),Sparkyprep (05-09-2017)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 13,135 Times in 4,781 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Yep. No canning on my glass-top stove. I have an outdoor turkey fryer type burner for canning.
    Friends don't let friends shoot Glocks.

Proud Deplorable

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Sparkyprep For This Useful Post:

hawgrider (05-09-2017)