Thread: Keylogger Found in Audio Driver of HP Laptops

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 20,730 Times in 8,455 Posts

Keylogger Found in Audio Driver of HP Laptops

The audio driver installed on some HP laptops includes a feature that could best be described as a keylogger, which records all the user's keystrokes and saves the information to a local file, accessible to anyone or any third-party software or malware that knows where to look.
    https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/new...of-hp-laptops/

There is a list of models further down in the article, but the chipset used (Conexant) may be in other manufacturers.
    "Every person’s life is theirs by right. An individual’s life can and must belong only to himself, not to any society or community, or he is then but a slave. No one can deny another person their right to their life, nor seize by force what is produced by someone else, because that is stealing their means to sustain their life. It is treason against mankind to hold a knife to a man’s throat and dictate how he must live his life."

COFFEE!

Hairy beast AKA Sasquatch KnuteFartne's Avatar

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 6,307 Times in 1,962 Posts
    I've heard of this. What has the world become? That's rhetorical.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

3. The Following User Says Thank You to KnuteFartne For This Useful Post:

juskom95 (05-11-2017)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by KnuteFartne View Post
    I've heard of this. What has the world become? That's rhetorical.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Just laziness by the programmers it appears. We just got an HP contract in our environment too, thankfully the effected systems were only in testing and have been easy to round up. They did have the keylogger file and it was easy to read, so its there.
    "Every person’s life is theirs by right. An individual’s life can and must belong only to himself, not to any society or community, or he is then but a slave. No one can deny another person their right to their life, nor seize by force what is produced by someone else, because that is stealing their means to sustain their life. It is treason against mankind to hold a knife to a man’s throat and dictate how he must live his life."

COFFEE!

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 2,877 Times in 1,350 Posts
    Not really related but,A place I used to work used keylogger on everyone's pc.a gal I worked with in my dept.got fired by using her pc to find a new job.gotta watch what you do on the bosses system!.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to MI.oldguy For This Useful Post:

juskom95 (05-11-2017)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MI.oldguy View Post
    gotta watch what you do on the bosses system!.
    Yup, but it helps when you're one of the guys who manages the company system/network too . . .

COFFEE!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to juskom95 For This Useful Post:

MI.oldguy (05-12-2017)