Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Good Investment ideas

Dinky Dau

Ranks Showcase

Thanks

Good Investment ideas

Got what I could away from the stock market- just don't see it doing me any good right now. I think we have hit a plateau and when it jumps up the next time, it's gonna come crashing back down. I don't have time to monitor it constantly so I'm out for now. I'm not sure I just want to keep it in the bank either.

What are good investments to build up? Gold? Silver? Those still smack of the stock market to me. Guns, ammo, preps? Material things that I can sell right away?

What about paying off the house? My concern with that is if the economy does tank, am I ahead? During this last down turn, the banks couldn't evict you so it gave you time to get a job and start paying again. Or did I see that incorrectly?

Any and all thoughts are appreciated

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Coppertop For This Useful Post:

SquirrelBait (07-24-2014)

Thanks
    Tangibles are where it's at. Food water, Self defense, PMs. Take your pick.

Edit: Land is the best though.
    Last edited by SquirrelBait; 07-27-2014 at 08:18 AM. Reason: Brain Cramp
    The squirrels are lurking... @ http://theoutdoortradingpost.com/

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Coppertop View Post
    Got what I could away from the stock market- just don't see it doing me any good right now. I think we have hit a plateau and when it jumps up the next time, it's gonna come crashing back down. I don't have time to monitor it constantly so I'm out for now. I'm not sure I just want to keep it in the bank either.

What are good investments to build up? Gold? Silver? Those still smack of the stock market to me. Guns, ammo, preps? Material things that I can sell right away?

What about paying off the house? My concern with that is if the economy does tank, am I ahead? During this last down turn, the banks couldn't evict you so it gave you time to get a job and start paying again. Or did I see that incorrectly?

Any and all thoughts are appreciated
    Here is a good plan

1. get at least enough food, water, and cash to survive 1 month.

2. Now get enough to survive 3 months.

(Hint) the water issue is the hard one to solve, under dire straights you will need 1 gallon of water per person a day, and that is if you decide to not bathe. Doing the simple math at 1 gallon of water (6 pounds) for 90 days is A LOT OF WATER.

Next get enough to survive for 12 months, thinks about other things like sleeping bags, feminine hygene product, toilet paper, guns to protect your growing stockpiles, communications, security, books on how to garden, and hunt and make whiskey.

Next plan out for 18 months and consider family members joining you and bringing sick children with them, quaranteen procedures, bed lice, hygene on another level, housing for the additions, and of course protecting what you have from looters (government included)

Next lets take this out to 24 months with 1800 calories a day for all the members at your house, and entertainment so they don't go bitch crazy and just hang themselves and how about having enough fat, and vitamin D, and some way to reduce the stress on the entire population.

After laying that framework,

Once you have all of that figured out, I suggest putting the rest of your money into Silver and Gold. It has always been a great hedge against fiat money and will continue to do so.

Don't get too close, I bite! Innkeeper's Avatar

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 7,310 Times in 3,090 Posts
    If you are looking for things for after SHTF and could be used as barter material, think building supplies. People are definitely going to need those and hey if need be you can always use them for your own projects.

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Innkeeper View Post
    If you are looking for things for after SHTF and could be used as barter material, think building supplies. People are definitely going to need those and hey if need be you can always use them for your own projects.
    Quite possibly the worst post I have seen ever in my entire life.

Really you think building supplies will be the thing people think about after a major collapse?

I guess I should stock up on Shingles and wall paper and paint? What a good idea (sic)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Montana Rancher For This Useful Post:

shootbrownelk (09-07-2014)

Don't get too close, I bite! Innkeeper's Avatar

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 7,310 Times in 3,090 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Montana Rancher View Post
    Quite possibly the worst post I have seen ever in my entire life.

Really you think building supplies will be the thing people think about after a major collapse?

I guess I should stock up on Shingles and wall paper and paint? What a good idea (sic)
    I am talking 4x4, 2x4 and other lumber....stuff people can use to build, or do you have a lumber mill on your property where you can just fell trees and run them through creating what you need?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Innkeeper For This Useful Post:

Slippy (09-05-2014)

Occasionally Replies Back

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Innkeeper View Post
    I am talking 4x4, 2x4 and other lumber....stuff people can use to build, or do you have a lumber mill on your property where you can just fell trees and run them through creating what you need?
    Tread carefully, some consider MR a sort of god and his opinion / word is gospel.......

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ekim For This Useful Post:

Innkeeper (09-23-2014),Slippy (09-05-2014)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 13,135 Times in 4,781 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ekim View Post
    Tread carefully, some consider MR a sort of god and his opinion / word is gospel.......
    I don't. But I do like him.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sparkyprep For This Useful Post:

Coppertop (09-04-2014),Slippy (09-04-2014)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 24,847 Times in 6,976 Posts
    As long as the FED continues to print money and participate in QE the stock market will artificially rise but when it crashes watchout!

I still have stocks and mutual funds but I'm not adding to the market. My goal is debt free, and I'm close. Old habits are hard to change and I've always kept a line of credit going but having the land and house paid for is a feeling of true liberty.

Replenishable food, water and a strong storage of certain goods is important to me. Having some cash on hand is good too. Weapons, Ammo, PM's are excellent choices as is good quality machinery/tangible goods.

I disagree with MR, having some Building Materials around is like a small insurance policy. Homes, as modern as they are today, are all built around the model of "Planned Obsolescence" so they will fail. Nothing wrong with keeping some lumber, roofing, siding, nails, screws etc around for repairs or projects. Like it or not, the EPA has jacked up every manufacturing sector and building materials has been hit hard in the last 30 years. Building Materials prices are higher today than during the building boom and it is due to mill shutdowns and regulations, not demand. I see inflation affecting everything, building materials as well as food, fuel etc.

If we continue on this Fed debt/deficit/spending spree, one day the Feds may come for IRA's 401 (k) and pensions. Scary deal so I want to have zero debt and have as much tangible goods as I can the older I get.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Slippy For This Useful Post:

Inor (09-04-2014)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 34,018 Times in 10,450 Posts
    I usually have anywhere between 700 and 1000 board feet of select furniture-grade hardwood on hand at any given time. I do not have it as a prep, although I guess it could be. I have it because I am woodworker and I just like having some on hand if I am struck with a bolt of inspiration and need to build something. I buy it when it is cheapest (usually January-March) or if I happen to see a nice board or two when I am walking through the wood store (those cases are usually Bird's Eye maple which is never cheap and never on sale).

If I were thinking of just buying 100 2x4 studs to keep around, I would be VERY careful with how and where you stack them for storage. Building material wood is notoriously wet, even after it has been kiln dried. That and the fact that most of it is rift sawed now means that it is almost guaranteed to warp and/or split if you are not REAL careful with how you stack it.

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Inor For This Useful Post:

Arklatex (09-05-2014),Coppertop (09-04-2014),Slippy (09-04-2014)

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast