Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Good Investment ideas

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 34,017 Times in 10,450 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Arklatex View Post
    1: it was chosen because it was the best on the market at the time. My father bought it when I was much younger. It has been a great machine.

2: timberking has a sawmill school in MO. I learned the ropes as a youngster. It's a one man mill be we always ran a 3 man operation. 1 operating, 1 unloading and 1 felling trees and skidding them to the mill.

3: the blade life is variable, wood type factors in. I usually switch them out every 4 hours. Make sure to get the re sharpening kit or find a good setter/sharpening shop in your area.

Sorry for the thread hijacking op...
    Thanks for the info! That is a great skill to have, especially for a prepper. Nicely done!

I noticed they are made in KC. I may have to look at them more seriously as KC is only about a 6 hour drive from here and picking it up at the factory would not be a bad idea.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Inor For This Useful Post:

Arklatex (09-07-2014)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 8,673 Times in 3,616 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Inor View Post
    collect tools and devices that will allow you and your people to prosper when the rebuilding starts.
    Add land with a water source (get at least 1 berkey or make one) and you're good to go. Make sure to get your bullets, beans and band aids sorted out as well. After this is accomplished you can start looking into pm and tangible barter items.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Arklatex For This Useful Post:

Inor (09-07-2014),Slippy (09-07-2014)

Thanks
    What I would do (and presently do), is to lay some scrap pieces (inside as Slippy mentioned) perpendicular to the direction I intend to lay the boards.
    this is pretty good and i wouldnt have thought about the tarp...about the rift sawn, i have no idea what that means lol...

but, what i meant was a canning storage system. i was thinking of a way to rotate stock...first in, first out

Thanks
    also, what's a timberking?

back to topic though...i think a good investment would depend on what your goals are. example - if you are investing for normal life, i would say paying your house off would be a great idea. it would give you more disposable income (or money in savings) and get rid of the biggest monthly bill/expense the average person has...however, if you are investing in your future and if the thought of some sort of collapse is inevitable closer than we expect it (which is definitely a scenario) than the extra money you would put into the house (or other long term financial investments) would be better used for things like Inor said...

i do think one thing people neglect though, the simple pleasures...things like books, and board games or cards. crayons for kids/grandkids and paper...

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    The feeling is mutual sir. And we will meet at some time; I am sure of it.

As far as investments...

First and foremost, pay off any debt you might have, except government debt. - Those pricks deserve to be holding the bag if it falls to shit.

Second, build up at least 3 months of green cash to cover bills and expenses.

Third, build up at least a year of water, food, clothing, fuel and other necessary consumables for you and all of your family members you expect to cover. We are at 16 months for our immediate family, but that is because I expect a few follow-ons that I cannot turn away.

Forth, build up enough of a stock of PM to cover 3 years of consumables at current prices of consumables and spot price of PM. In SHTF situation, that will last about an additional 6 months.

Finally, collect tools and devices that will allow you and your people to prosper when the rebuilding starts. (I.E. a portable sawmill)

Notice, I did not mention anything about weapons. I assume you have those already with enough ammunition to keep your skills in tune.
    Yes as we assumed, we could be best of friends, good post.

Don't get too close, I bite! Innkeeper's Avatar

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 7,310 Times in 3,090 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ekim View Post
    Tread carefully, some consider MR a sort of god and his opinion / word is gospel.......
    I have served Almost 21 years in the military and retired this spring medically from injuries while deployed. I will exercise my 1st Amendment rights just like MR will and after all those years in service I have learned not everyone agrees and I do not care if everyone agrees with me, but thanks for the word.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Innkeeper For This Useful Post:

omegabrock (09-23-2014)

Occasionally Replies Back Jerry D Young's Avatar

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    This is something I came up with a long time ago and was never able to follow through on. Just consider what might apply to you and forget the rest.

What I'd do if I could start over. This is investment/retirement money only, not total income use. It pre-supposes extensive preps and back up funds in place all the time. At least a year of preps, a year of equivalent salary for normal things if income stops, and a large emergency cash fund for the unexpected expenses such as car repairs or medical bills.

The plan is approximately 1/3 each income producing property (35%), more or less regular financial investments, diversified as to type (33%), and precious metals (32%) to spread the risks, no matter what happens. I don’t think it is possible to accurately predict what will work in the future, so I prefer to cover as many bases as possible.

If there isn't a reasonable amount for an item, shift the amount 50/50 to the other assets and PM assets, and then transfer to the item when enough is accumulated.

The Warrant trading account has to be managed, as do the separate parts of the self-managed Permanent Portfolio Fund.

I know that Permanent Whole Life Insurance gets a very bad rap. I think it is unjustified, if one understands just how it works and takes advantages of the possibilities, always knowing that it, like a 401(k) or any retirement fund, is a long term investment and will not have much value, especially compared to what goes into it, during the first 20 years.

But the payoffs are great, and it is one of the few ways to pass an inheritance down to future generations with only minimal tax impacts. And be aware that one of the reasons that I like it is that the investments that pay the dividends are not just conventional stocks and bonds. The applicable insurance companies that one would want to get a Permanent Whole Life Insurance Policy with are the same ones that one would use for Annuities.

And they have a wide portfolio of investments, including hard assets such as raw and income producing property, things like businesses, leasing of railroad rolling stock and motive power, warehouses, trucking fleets, fisheries, and all sorts of things besides just stocks and bonds.

Pretty much the same goes for the Annuities. You will hear lots of bashing. Research everything and think it through.

The rest can pretty much just be watched and changes made when the overall percentages get out of whack.

I'm not an investment person. This is just what I'd do with a significant amount of money I wanted to diversify so as not to lose too much in any one account. Seek professional advice before you make any investments.

For someone starting out, I would build solid credit, maintain a very minimum amount of debt in order to build that credit, and otherwise pay as you go, living a reasonable lifestyle without overdoing the fun, but having some, and always buy quality for a good price rather than just cheap. Keep long range goals in mind even when considering short term decisions.

Just my opinion.

20% - Income producing working farm/ranch primarily as a hedge for bad times so you’ll have food, plus income. Buy in and perhaps even some sweat equity when possible, but not to run and operate oneself.
    15% - Quadraplexes on corner lots in small towns with live in manager as income producing property (usually not subject to apartment rules and restrictions in most places that can have rent controls put into place)

5% - Permanent Portfolio Fund (PRPFX)

2% - US Treasury Bonds (28+ years)(self-managed PPF)(equalized each year)
    2% - US Treasury Money Market Fund (self-managed PPF)(equalized each year)
    2% - Gold coins (self-managed PPF)(equalized each year)
    2% - Growth Funds (self-managed PPF)(equalized each year)

5% - Blue chip mutual funds – keep rolling the dividends back into the same funds (PRFDX) (FBGRX)(FBCVX)
    5% - Warrant trading accounts – Never buy more warrants than the money would buy of the stock.

2% - Deferred annuity #1 Paid into until retirement for monthly income (Hartford, John Hancock, Met Life, Mutual of Omaha, and Prudential)
    3% - Deferred annuity #2 Paid into until retirement for big ticket items (Hartford, John Hancock, Met Life, Mutual of Omaha, and Prudential)

2% - A trust fund to capitalize a few projects I have in mind.

3% - Permanent whole life insurance (dividend reinvested/no withdrawals)(if under 50 else 5% trust fund)(Check the same insurance companies as for the Deferred annuities. Many offer participatory Permanent Whole Life Insurance.)

5% - 1 ounce Gold Eagle (in hand)
    5% - 1/2 ounce Gold Eagle (in hand)
    5% - 1/4 ounce Gold Eagle (in hand)
    5% - 1/10 ounce Gold Eagle (in hand)

2.5% - Pre-1965 silver dimes (in hand)
    2.5% - Pre-1965 silver quarters (in hand)
    2.5% - Pre-1965 silver halves (in hand)

4.5% - One-ounce Silver Eagle rounds (in hand)
    Jerry D Young

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best, and always remember TANSTAAFL

(TANSTAAFL: There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch - Robert A. Heinlein)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Slippy View Post
    As long as the FED continues to print money and participate in QE the stock market will artificially rise but when it crashes watchout!

I still have stocks and mutual funds but I'm not adding to the market. My goal is debt free, and I'm close. Old habits are hard to change and I've always kept a line of credit going but having the land and house paid for is a feeling of true liberty.

Replenishable food, water and a strong storage of certain goods is important to me. Having some cash on hand is good too. Weapons, Ammo, PM's are excellent choices as is good quality machinery/tangible goods.

I disagree with MR, having some Building Materials around is like a small insurance policy. Homes, as modern as they are today, are all built around the model of "Planned Obsolescence" so they will fail. Nothing wrong with keeping some lumber, roofing, siding, nails, screws etc around for repairs or projects. Like it or not, the EPA has jacked up every manufacturing sector and building materials has been hit hard in the last 30 years. Building Materials prices are higher today than during the building boom and it is due to mill shutdowns and regulations, not demand. I see inflation affecting everything, building materials as well as food, fuel etc.

If we continue on this Fed debt/deficit/spending spree, one day the Feds may come for IRA's 401 (k) and pensions. Scary deal so I want to have zero debt and have as much tangible goods as I can the older I get.
    A good point having "some" building materials on the homestead is an asset, I keep about 20 2x4's and I have a lot of 2x6 and 2'x8's in the barn (treated) from a recent deconstruct. I guess my point was, "gee I have $2000 to spend I guess I should buy some lumber"

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Montana Rancher For This Useful Post:

Slippy (02-25-2015)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ekim View Post
    Tread carefully, some consider MR a sort of god and his opinion / word is gospel.......
    I am tempted to give you a link to my wifes Email for 2 reasons.

1. She would laugh her ass off.

2. Her instant reply would be... No

Which is also my reply

I've been doing this a lot longer than most, I just have the advantage of experience and patience.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Montana Rancher For This Useful Post:

Slippy (02-25-2015)

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345