Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Prepping is not hoarding.

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 2,685 Times in 1,171 Posts
    Blog Entries

Prepping is not hoarding.

For me, prepping isn’t just a matter of stockpiling supplies. It also a mindset, a means of gathering skills you and your family need to survive once these supplies run out. If a long-term SHTF scenario, like an EMP were to occur or, more likely, if our civilized nation collapses, your knowledge and skills will be more valuable than the stockpile of water, food and gadgets.

I try to make it a responsibility for each family or group member in my “group” to learn at least two skills that would be crucial if SHTF. Also I want the experts to be able to teach other group members the skills to everyone. Because lets face it, highly skilled individuals need rest or may become injured. If your only medic is injured, what steps do you take if he never taught any other member the skill? What are your skills?

What, if any, skills do other group members possess? Do you believe each person should spend time teaching others their skills now, before they could be life saving, or used to trade during a potential societal collapse?

Me, I am a licensed wildlife control operator. You name if, I can catch it, gut it, skin it, cook it. Snares, legholds, conibears and cage traps are a few things I can use and/or make.
    I am decent with a hammer and other hand tools as well as power tools (which depending on the scenario may be worthless). I am a licensed HAM radio operator with 10M, 2M, 11M and a few other radios.
    I can cook and can, shooting is a hobby of mine. But, more importantly I try to diversify when I can and teach others I know the skills I possess.

So lets here it ladies, what are your skills and group skills? Do you take the time to teach each other?
    Admin for the BEST gun site on the web! WELCOME TO THE OTP!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RWalls For This Useful Post:

Baglady (07-25-2014),longrider (12-25-2014)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 1,714 Times in 685 Posts
    Is prepping hoarding? That will depend on who you talk to. At one time the govt suggested 2 weeks of supplies, now it's down to 3 days. And many still don't pay attention. Take a look at Sandy. Folks thought the govt would care for them. SURPRISE!!! When people find out you are a prepper, you get treated like a pariah.

I'm a city boy that grew up in the inner city. I have only been hunting one day in my life and I missed the only shot I had. My skills are in what I can fix work around what can't be fixed. I have a prep or two to help me get through. I used to have a couple of guns but they were lost in a boating accident.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to inceptor For This Useful Post:

BugMan (07-26-2014)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 13,339 Times in 4,829 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I can kill, clean, and, cook just about anything that crawls, walks, slithers, swims, or flys. I can build just about anything that you would need to survive. I know a lot about edible plants in my area (SouthFlorida swamps and bush). I know how to grow cows, and vegetables. I'm an avid shooter, and a VERY avid fisherman. I can make fire from nothing. I'm skilled at various knot tying. I can sharpen a dull blade to a razor.

Before I sound too much like I'm tooting my own horn.....

If you were in an all-out firefight with a well-organized enemy, you better pick someone else besides me to lead the defense. I am not a soldier, or tactician. If you need someone to preserve your foodstuffs in any manner other than smoking, get someone else. I don't know squat about canning. (I want to learn though.). I'm still pestering my dad to teach me reloading, but it hasn't happened yet.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sparkyprep For This Useful Post:

jbrooks19 (07-26-2014),RWalls (07-25-2014),Slippy (07-25-2014)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Hoarders have an emotional tie to everything they have. Preppers have a use for almost everything they have.

If you can give away your items without having an "emotional moment" about them you are not a hoarder, you might be a pack rat but not a hoarder.

As far as skills go: I am a jack of all trades and master of none.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dsdmmat For This Useful Post:

Just Sayin' (07-25-2014),RWalls (07-25-2014)

Occasionally Replies Back
    Thanks
    my food stores are only to keep me over the "hunkering down" period, after that i'll have about as much food stored as the average sheeple. but I can fish,shoot,trap and know the back country of North Devon like the back of my hand. I still have to learn how to look after livestock properly but wife was a herdswoman(stock person) in the past and is a life long country woman my mother was a farmers daughter and I have inherited her love of the countryside.

Occasionally Replies Back machinejjh's Avatar
    Thanks
    I was not a "woodsman" growing up. I was sick a lot, up until about 12 (pneumonia 13 times in those 12 years). So I spent a lot of time indoors. But I am trying to make up for it now. I learn all I can from anyone who can teach me. Our food stores were testing last month, due to medical bills for my wife coming in. If we didn't have those extra supplies, I don't know what we would have done.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to machinejjh For This Useful Post:

Slippy (07-25-2014)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dsdmmat View Post
    Hoarders have an emotional tie to everything they have. Preppers have a use for almost everything they have.

If you can give away your items without having an "emotional moment" about them you are not a hoarder, you might be a pack rat but not a hoarder.

Well said dsdmmat!

Part of the problem is finding people who care enough about being prepared to either learn from, or to teach. My wife is not really into prepping, although recent events have sparked a little more interest in what we have. She already has a fair amount of skills and she learns pretty quickly. Most of the other people I know that have any leaning toward being prepared are pretty much like myself a hunter and fisherman, ex-military or LE, pretty skilled and self sufficient. When we get to discussing most anything about prepping, first aid, weapons, tactics etc, we're just nitpicking the little details, because we are all pretty competent in the same areas. Heck, we trade more recipes and gun loads than prepping info it seems like sometimes.

Forums like this are about the only place I have the opportunity to maybe pass on some knowledge that I have, and the best place to learn about things that I might be unaware of or don't know how to do.
    "Free men do not ask permission to bear arms"

Thomas Jefferson

Seen on Bumper Sticker:

I may be an old dog
    But I can still bury a bone

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 13,339 Times in 4,829 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dsdmmat View Post

Well, I have an emotional connection to some of my things. There are certain fishing poles, and firearms, that I would never dream of selling, or getting rid of. Does that count?

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Preppers are not hoarders, but some are.
    The definition of SHALL is will or can.
    So SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED would read WILL not CAN not be infringed.

Dinky Dau

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    I have been told that I am a "collector with hoarding tendencies" How does that fit in? I have no emotional attachment to MOST of my stuff, just a lot of stuff

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast