Thread: What to do with those extra onions

VIP Member!

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 5,180 Times in 1,552 Posts

What to do with those extra onions

Dehydrated onions over the weekend. Wanted to use up the smaller ones. It takes approx 2 1/2 lbs to make one pint jar of dehydrated onion flakes. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170724_075459.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	91.8 KB 
ID:	3683. After vacuum sealing they last a long time.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Broncosfan For This Useful Post:

azrancher (07-25-2017),Gambit (07-24-2017),hawgrider (07-24-2017),KnuteFartne (07-24-2017)

Excellent work! Great Idea!
    "The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields

4. The Following User Says Thank You to hawgrider For This Useful Post:

Broncosfan (07-24-2017)

I Never Log Off!

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 4,573 Times in 2,015 Posts
    UGh, we have no extra anything right now. Our tomataoes have a million yellow flowers on them, but only about twenty toms so far.
    The small superhot peppers, produced about ten peppers, I picked them and ate them, now there are lots of flowers, and only a few peppers.
    The green chile plants have produced about six chiles.
    Hoping all these flowers turn out.
    I would pay shipping and handling, or trade for DEEBOS famous jerky, for some onions, or cheese, or anything....
    You will never be forgotten. RIP Corporal Bradley Coy (USMC)

VIP Member!

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 5,180 Times in 1,552 Posts
    Just finished making some smoked onion spice. I think it will be a nice addition to my homemade spices. After smoking and then dehydrating I ended up with 2 pints of smoked flakes. After grinding I got a little over half a pint of smoked onion spice. A lot of work but in the end it worth it. You sure can't get it any fresher than that at any store.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Broncosfan For This Useful Post:

hawgrider (07-25-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Broncosfan View Post
    Just finished making some smoked onion spice. I think it will be a nice addition to my homemade spices. After smoking and then dehydrating I ended up with 2 pints of smoked flakes. After grinding I got a little over half a pint of smoked onion spice. A lot of work but in the end it worth it. You sure can't get it any fresher than that at any store.
    Onion powder is always a good thing.

Soon I will be sending you some dehydrated wild leeks for you to grind up and make some wild leek powder. If you like regular onion powder you will love the rare treat of wild leeks from RubberDucks farmland/hunting grounds in mid Mi.
    "The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields

9. The Following User Says Thank You to hawgrider For This Useful Post:

Broncosfan (07-25-2017)