Thread: Got My Thermal Scope, . . . finally

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 14,137 Times in 4,295 Posts

Got My Thermal Scope, . . . finally

Well, gals and guys, . . . I bit the bullet and bought my thermal scope.

No, . . . I would not trade it for any NV device out there that I have had the privilege to see / investigate / use.

It's a Pulsar, Apex, XQ50, . . . and for all tense and purposes, is the replacement for their XD 75, . . . at a price below their old XD 38.

I took it out last night, . . . down to the reservoir, . . . because I knew I could get some long shots there.

I could see 2 white lights across the water, about 1/3 of a mile away with the naked eye, . . . scope showed me 3 men fishing in a pram.

With the naked eye, . . . could not see anything on another bank, . . . same distance, . . . with the scope, . . . watched a guy fly fishing at 9:00 PM.

Later went up to the soy bean fields nearby, . . . deer all over the place, . . . easily seen, . . . one was according to Google, . . . 8/10 of a mile away. No I could not count his points by any means, . . . but it was a white tail deer, detectable at that distance.

All in all I am absolutely thrilled with my new "toy", . . . saving coins for a DV recorder for it, . . . will post when I get it.

Just wanted to share the joy.

May God bless,
    Dwight
    If you can breathe, . . . thank God.

If you can read, . . . thank a teacher.

If you can read in English, . . . thank a veteran.

www.dwightsgunleather.com

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dwight55 For This Useful Post:

Innkeeper (07-27-2017),Kfilly (10-29-2017),MI.oldguy (07-28-2017),RubberDuck (07-28-2017),Sparkyprep (07-28-2017)

Don't get too close, I bite! Innkeeper's Avatar

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 7,310 Times in 3,090 Posts
    Sounds like I may have to check this out for yourself thanks for the good info. Have lots of fun with it.
    Last edited by Innkeeper; 07-27-2017 at 10:25 PM. Reason: spelling

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Innkeeper For This Useful Post:

RubberDuck (07-28-2017)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Innkeeper View Post
    Sounds like I may have to check this out for yourself thanks for the good info. Have lots of fun with it.
    Well, . . . we're hoping for a lot of fun, . . . but the primary purpose for it is to be able to check out "bump in the night" stuff that goes on outside. True, I have to go outside to check it out, . . . but we've had a few incidents here where it would have been super useful.

One was when we were awakened in the early morning hours by someone screaming for help. My son and I searched the 10 acres side by side (in case it was a ruse to get us out of the house) after calling the sheriff, . . . and found nothing. The thermal scope in that instance would have been perfect, . . .

I plan on mounting it for SHTF on a Rock River AR pistol. Should be a really good combination for night season CQB, . . . and just super hope and pray that I never need it.

Other than that, . . . coyotes, coons, feral cats, and rats are "targeted" so to speak.

May God bless,
    Dwight

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Dwight55 For This Useful Post:

Innkeeper (07-28-2017)

Don't get too close, I bite! Innkeeper's Avatar

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 7,310 Times in 3,090 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwight55 View Post
    Well, . . . we're hoping for a lot of fun, . . . but the primary purpose for it is to be able to check out "bump in the night" stuff that goes on outside. True, I have to go outside to check it out, . . . but we've had a few incidents here where it would have been super useful.

One was when we were awakened in the early morning hours by someone screaming for help. My son and I searched the 10 acres side by side (in case it was a ruse to get us out of the house) after calling the sheriff, . . . and found nothing. The thermal scope in that instance would have been perfect, . . .

I plan on mounting it for SHTF on a Rock River AR pistol. Should be a really good combination for night season CQB, . . . and just super hope and pray that I never need it.

Other than that, . . . coyotes, coons, feral cats, and rats are "targeted" so to speak.

May God bless,
    Dwight
    Yeah I can understand where that would make it a nice addition. Be careful out there. I sold several when I sold guns for Coyote hunting here, we would play with them when we had the occasional power outage at work in the winter at work, but that model I have not heard of. I would like one for coyotes and hopefully never for SHTF as you say.

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Innkeeper View Post
    Yeah I can understand where that would make it a nice addition. Be careful out there. I sold several when I sold guns for Coyote hunting here, we would play with them when we had the occasional power outage at work in the winter at work, but that model I have not heard of. I would like one for coyotes and hopefully never for SHTF as you say.
    Hit the Google button, . . . youtube, . . . search for Pulsar XD75, . . . it's the older model mine replaced. There are several hog hunting and coyote hunting videos out there.

I've read in several sources, . . . and had one seller tell me without a doubt they are the best for the buck. He said he makes more money on other brands, but prefers to be up front with his customers, . . . and this brand (made in the UK) has it hands down over the others.

Many of the others have tons of other features, . . . including color palettes, . . . but I chose this one for it's simplicity, . . . and a couple features others did not have. One is a PIP, or picture in a picture, . . . where there is an enlarged area in the top center of the point of impact, . . . yet allows you a wider angle to watch.

In one of the videos, . . . a field mouse goes running across the screen out about 40 yds or so, . . . cannot make out what it is, . . . but the fact that it IS, . . . was neat to me.

Additionally, . . . it uses CR123 batteries, . . . available pretty near everywhere.

May God bless,
    Dwight

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]