Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 12 Lifesaving Canning Rules

12 Lifesaving Canning Rules

SAFETY RULES OF CANNING

1. Don’t use jars larger than a quart. Home canning technology cannot guarantee that larger quantities will be sufficiently heated through for enough time. Rather, the food on the outside will overcook, while that on the inside won’t get hot enough for food safety.

2. A water-bath canner may only be used for high acid foods such as tomatoes, fruits, rhubarb, sauerkraut, pickles, and jams/jellies. A pressure canner MUST be used for low acid foods including vegetables, meats, and stews.

3. Use only modern canning recipes from reliable sources (especially when first learning canning as a beginner).

4. Never reuse jar lids. Used lids aren’t reliable for sealing correctly. If a screw-on band is rusty or bent, it won’t work right and should be discarded and replaced. That said, you might consider purpose-designed reusable Tattler lids.

5. Don’t use antique or ‘French’ -type canning jars. They aren’t as safe as the modern, regular ‘Ball, Kerr’ type.

6. Check the jar rims carefully every year by running your finger over the top of the rim and checking for nicks. Even the tiniest nick makes the jar unusable for canning. A nicked jar rim won’t seal reliably.

7. Raw pack is not safe for certain foods: beets, all kinds of greens (spinach, etc.), white potatoes, squash, okra, a tomato/okra combination, and stewed tomatoes.

8. You must allow the correct amount of space (head-space) between your food, together with the liquid that covers it, and the jar lid (follow the recipe instructions).

9. Water Bath Method: Do not begin counting the processing time until after the water in the canner comes to a rolling boil

10. Pressure Canner: Do not begin counting the processing time until after steam has vented for 10 minutes AND until the pressure gauge has risen to the recommended pressure after placing the weight on the vent pipe.

11. Process the full recommended time (and at the recommended pressure if using pressure canner).

12. If a jar did not seal, discard the lid, check to see if the jar rim is chipped (discard jar), check for food residue on the rim (clean), put on a new lid, and reprocess. Or consume the food and/or put in the refrigerator as you would any other leftover food for later consumption.
    http://modernsurvivalblog.com/surviv...canning-rules/
    "The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to hawgrider For This Useful Post:

Broncosfan (08-14-2017),Gambit (08-14-2017),Innkeeper (08-14-2017),MI.oldguy (08-15-2017),RubberDuck (08-14-2017),shootbrownelk (08-14-2017),Sparkyprep (08-14-2017),Toefoot (08-15-2017)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 14,186 Times in 4,307 Posts
    I may have starved to death if someone had believed the first four, . . . namely my mother, grandmother, Aunt Inez, Aunt Della, Aunt Cloma, . . . and a handfull of other folks who contributed to my eating.

Did you just make these up, . . . or did you get em from Wilipedia???

May God bless,
    Dwight
    If you can breathe, . . . thank God.

If you can read, . . . thank a teacher.

If you can read in English, . . . thank a veteran.

www.dwightsgunleather.com

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Dwight55 For This Useful Post:

Toefoot (08-15-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight55 View Post
    I may have starved to death if someone had believed the first four, . . . namely my mother, grandmother, Aunt Inez, Aunt Della, Aunt Cloma, . . . and a handfull of other folks who contributed to my eating.

Did you just make these up, . . . or did you get em from Wilipedia???

May God bless,
    Dwight
    Different era different food. If you want to play games with canning its certainly your choice. Personally when I can meat and produce I follow those rules. If you don't and you recommend to people not to follow them then I certinly am not responsible for your lack of basic safe practice rules of canning todays meat and produce.
    Last edited by hawgrider; 08-14-2017 at 07:12 PM.
    "The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hawgrider For This Useful Post:

Broncosfan (08-14-2017),Toefoot (08-15-2017)

Don't get too close, I bite! Gambit's Avatar

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 13,042 Times in 5,248 Posts
    this is good information for starters such as myself
    It happened before, it can happen again.
    It happened there, it can happen here.
    It happened to that person, it can happen to you.
    No one is immune to the trials and tribulations of life.

I'm not allowed at the Zoo anymore...

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gambit For This Useful Post:

Broncosfan (08-14-2017),hawgrider (08-14-2017),Toefoot (08-15-2017)

VIP Member!

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 5,180 Times in 1,552 Posts
    I know a lot of people that gamble using a water bath rather than a pressure cooker. They always tell me that they haven't had any problems. Well that one time you do you will regret it. A good canning book is a must. I have several now because of the recipes. I use my pressure canner more now than ever. Since it hold 14 quarts I get done faster than water bathing.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Broncosfan For This Useful Post:

hawgrider (08-15-2017),Toefoot (08-15-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Broncosfan View Post
    I know a lot of people that gamble using a water bath rather than a pressure cooker. They always tell me that they haven't had any problems. Well that one time you do you will regret it. A good canning book is a must. I have several now because of the recipes. I use my pressure canner more now than ever. Since it hold 14 quarts I get done faster than water bathing.
    This^^^ is good advise! You are wise Mr Bronco!

Its not worth a shortcut or sloppy practices when it comes to family and friends enjoying natures bounty.

At minimum get a current Ball blue book and follow it especially if your new to canning.

Some of grandmaws recipes are still good today but some are not.

Example water bathed canned meat is suicide!!!!
    Anybody that tells you its not is a fool!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to hawgrider For This Useful Post:

Broncosfan (08-14-2017)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 14,186 Times in 4,307 Posts
    Do what you want in canning, . . . I personally use all three of my presssure canners instead of water bath, . . .

BUT, . . .

Growing up all we had to eat were beans, corn, blackberries, peas, cherries, apples, pears, peaches, kraut, carrots, beets, pickles, and a few other odd and end things I don't recall that were all done using a water bath canner, . . .

OR, . . .

A wash tub full of water, jars, sitting out in the front yard with a piece of metal siding on it for a lid, . . . boys kept the wood under it to keep it boiling.

Aunt Inez had more half gallon jars than she did quarts, . . . did almost all of her canning in half gallon jars, . . . quarts was for jam and jelly.

It is only unsafe, if the people doing it don't follow good hygiene practices, etc.

But then again, . . . gotta remember the wonderful government scientists who give us this life saving information, . . . used to also teach that eggs, butter, and bacon would kill you, . . . and if you were really sick, . . . needed to go down to the barber, have him bleed you a bit, let that bad blood out that is poisoning your body.

Thanks for the info, . . . but just be careful you don't take it as THE gospel, . . . because it darn sure is not.

Edited to add: none of us ever died with any kind of food poisoning or anything like that (or even getting sick) either, . . . we're all living proof of that, . . . with my aunts and uncles all living into late 70's at least, . . . and did it without Obamacare.

May God bless,
    Dwight
    If you can breathe, . . . thank God.

If you can read, . . . thank a teacher.

If you can read in English, . . . thank a veteran.

www.dwightsgunleather.com

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Dwight55 For This Useful Post:

Gambit (08-15-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight55 View Post
    Do what you want in canning, . . . I personally use all three of my presssure canners instead of water bath, . . .

BUT, . . .

Growing up all we had to eat were beans, corn, blackberries, peas, cherries, apples, pears, peaches, kraut, carrots, beets, pickles, and a few other odd and end things I don't recall that were all done using a water bath canner, . . .

OR, . . .

A wash tub full of water, jars, sitting out in the front yard with a piece of metal siding on it for a lid, . . . boys kept the wood under it to keep it boiling.

Aunt Inez had more half gallon jars than she did quarts, . . . did almost all of her canning in half gallon jars, . . . quarts was for jam and jelly.

It is only unsafe, if the people doing it don't follow good hygiene practices, etc.

But then again, . . . gotta remember the wonderful government scientists who give us this life saving information, . . . used to also teach that eggs, butter, and bacon would kill you, . . . and if you were really sick, . . . needed to go down to the barber, have him bleed you a bit, let that bad blood out that is poisoning your body.

Thanks for the info, . . . but just be careful you don't take it as THE gospel, . . . because it darn sure is not.

Edited to add: none of us ever died with any kind of food poisoning or anything like that (or even getting sick) either, . . . we're all living proof of that, . . . with my aunts and uncles all living into late 70's at least, . . . and did it without Obamacare.

May God bless,
    Dwight
    You completly missed my point...

Different era different food.

Half gallon jars should not be used for the reason listed. Sorry dwight but your promoting very dangerous practices. I won't do that and neither should you. People have died and become very sick using your recommend practices.

Nobody will get sick or die using mine.

You better say an extra prayer over your food your going to need it!
    Last edited by hawgrider; 08-15-2017 at 05:23 AM. Reason: Fixed a fat finger spelling error.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to hawgrider For This Useful Post:

Broncosfan (08-15-2017)

VIP Member!

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 5,180 Times in 1,552 Posts
    [QUOTE=hawgrider;107465]You completly missed my point...

Different era different food.

Half gallon jars should not be used for the reason listed. Sorry dwight but your promoting very dangerous practices. I won't dont that and neither should you. People have died and become very sick using your recommend practices.

Nobody will get sick or die using mine.

You better say an extra prayer over your food your going to need it![/QUOTE

My grandmothers both water bathed their green beans years ago. I know people that still do but its not safe and a gamble and I would never do it. I still hear" Well my mother did it that way" but that doesn't make it doing it the safe way.
    I recommend the book " Keeping the Harvest" by Nancy Chioffi & Gretchen Mead. Not sure where you can get it probably amazon its not expensive and has a lot of good recipes and lots of basic canning guidelines for water bath and pressure canning.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Broncosfan For This Useful Post:

hawgrider (08-15-2017)

Yes green beans are a no no. Meat and fish are absolute no no's all low acid vegtables are all a no no for waterbath method.

Just because someone you know tells you it safe to jump off a bridge doesnt mean its proven tested and safe. Resonable thinking sane people don't jump off the bridge.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast