Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 12 Lifesaving Canning Rules

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 14,186 Times in 4,307 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hawgrider View Post
    Just because someone you know tells you it safe to jump off a bridge doesnt mean its proven tested and safe. Resonable thinking sane people don't jump off the bridge.
    The total point I attempted to make (please note that I DO USE pressure canners for virtually everything myself) is that just because someone says "THIS IS SAFE" or "THAT is not safe", . . . does not mean it IS CORRECT.

And YES, . . . we can look back to what other folks did, . . . and we very well may have to do that in the future sometime, . . . that is what PREPPING is all about in many cases.

It is obvious that the "so called" experts have not been as perfectly correct in all their warnings in the past, . . . the admonition that everyone will die if they keep eating those eggs, that bacon, that butter, . . . "It'll clog up your ateries, . . . you'll be dead at 40" was the typical warning.

Now the fashion is that red meat is bad for you, . . . they want you to eat more tilapia, tofu, and turkey burgers.

If we totally ignore the practices of making jerky, . . . drying fruits and veggies, . . . and yes, water bath canning, . . . then we rob ourselves of options that may not be the best, but are still options that DID IN THE PAST provide safe food sources for our ancestors.

YES, . . . YES, . . . YES, many of those practices have an element of danger in them, but at the same time, . . . sitting and watching food spoil because "I was afraid to try to preserve it, . . . it might make me sick", . . . is a far worse practice, . . . for then they die of starvation, . . . sitting in a pile of rotting meat and veggies.

Walking across the Walmart parking lot has an element of danger in it, . . . but if we are careful it works out.

As an example, . . . my Grandmother, her sister in law, and another lady spent 2 days canning catfish back about 100 years ago, . . . Uncle Vince had caught the thing in the Ohio river, . . . they carried it back home on a horse drawn wagon (40 plus miles), . . . and they canned it using the old zinc lids and rubber washers.

Nobody got sick, . . . nobody died, . . . and they all had catfish in jars for later on.

No, . . . I would not attempt it, . . . but they knew how to do it, . . . how to do it successfully, . . . and if we are so inclined, . . . we can learn how they did it, . . . and it does not make any difference what the so called experts say, . . . it CAN BE DONE, . . . with or without Wikipedia's help.

May God bless,
    Dwight
    If you can breathe, . . . thank God.

If you can read, . . . thank a teacher.

If you can read in English, . . . thank a veteran.

www.dwightsgunleather.com

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Dwight55 For This Useful Post:

Toefoot (08-15-2017)

Water bath canning has been used in my family as long as I can remember, I use the same process my mother used and she used the same process her mother used and so on, the key is doing it correctly as is in much cooking. It's just a matter of what canning process are you comfortable with.......oh and buy the way, I've been eating canned venison since childhood and I am still here to write this.......I'm not writing this to promote any certain method, it's just the process I use.....

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rstanek For This Useful Post:

Dwight55 (08-15-2017),Toefoot (08-15-2017)

Occasionally Replies Back

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    I use both methods (Pressure cooker/Water bath) depending on the product and acidity. Harvest time I can outside in the evening enjoying a good beer or two. Methods used during hard times like the depression was crisis cooking and reflect on what they had to work with, resources, money. Crisis cooking has a place and needs to be understood, like all things being as sanitary as possible increases success.

In today's environment pressure cooker for low acidic meats, fruits and vegies is a must.

Amish Canning book electronic canning book and some others for download:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...wEZtiRdqsakd6w

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...3CtJEkQZG9xYaA

USDA Complete Guide To Home Canning:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...C9ZtGyHU8b1GcA

Another good book (PDF) Food Storage and Canning Manual - Family Guardian

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...GBA4tC7oh6Rvww

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Toefoot For This Useful Post:

hawgrider (08-15-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight55 View Post
    The total point I attempted to make (please note that I DO USE pressure canners for virtually everything myself) is that just because someone says "THIS IS SAFE" or "THAT is not safe", . . . does not mean it IS CORRECT.

And YES, . . . we can look back to what other folks did, . . . and we very well may have to do that in the future sometime, . . . that is what PREPPING is all about in many cases.

It is obvious that the "so called" experts have not been as perfectly correct in all their warnings in the past, . . . the admonition that everyone will die if they keep eating those eggs, that bacon, that butter, . . . "It'll clog up your ateries, . . . you'll be dead at 40" was the typical warning.

Now the fashion is that red meat is bad for you, . . . they want you to eat more tilapia, tofu, and turkey burgers.

If we totally ignore the practices of making jerky, . . . drying fruits and veggies, . . . and yes, water bath canning, . . . then we rob ourselves of options that may not be the best, but are still options that DID IN THE PAST provide safe food sources for our ancestors.

YES, . . . YES, . . . YES, many of those practices have an element of danger in them, but at the same time, . . . sitting and watching food spoil because "I was afraid to try to preserve it, . . . it might make me sick", . . . is a far worse practice, . . . for then they die of starvation, . . . sitting in a pile of rotting meat and veggies.

Walking across the Walmart parking lot has an element of danger in it, . . . but if we are careful it works out.

As an example, . . . my Grandmother, her sister in law, and another lady spent 2 days canning catfish back about 100 years ago, . . . Uncle Vince had caught the thing in the Ohio river, . . . they carried it back home on a horse drawn wagon (40 plus miles), . . . and they canned it using the old zinc lids and rubber washers.

Nobody got sick, . . . nobody died, . . . and they all had catfish in jars for later on.

No, . . . I would not attempt it, . . . but they knew how to do it, . . . how to do it successfully, . . . and if we are so inclined, . . . we can learn how they did it, . . . and it does not make any difference what the so called experts say, . . . it CAN BE DONE, . . . with or without Wikipedia's help.

May God bless,
    Dwight
    Thats all fine and dandy and a good story from you.

But-

These recommendations do not come from wikipedifile as you say... They come from "Ball" and the ball blue book with is the standard for safe canning practices. There are many other sources besides "Ball" that these safe canning practices come from as well. Check them out.
    "The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields

Quote Originally Posted by rstanek View Post
    Water bath canning has been used in my family as long as I can remember, I use the same process my mother used and she used the same process her mother used and so on, the key is doing it correctly as is in much cooking. It's just a matter of what canning process are you comfortable with.......oh and buy the way, I've been eating canned venison since childhood and I am still here to write this.......I'm not writing this to promote any certain method, it's just the process I use.....
    There is nothing wrong with waterbath canning.

Whats wrong is some people still use waterbath canning to can the things that should only be canned with a pressure canner.

Meat, fish, green beans, low acid veggies must be pressure canned. Its a simple concept to follow. Botulism is a tasteless invisible killer look it up.
    "The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields

9. The Following User Says Thank You to hawgrider For This Useful Post:

Broncosfan (08-15-2017)

VIP Member!

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 5,180 Times in 1,552 Posts
    Yes green beans are a no no. Meat and fish are absolute no no's all low acid vegtables are all a no no for waterbath method.

Just because someone you know tells you it safe to jump off a bridge doesnt mean its proven tested and safe. Resonable thinking sane people don't jump off the bridge.
    I agree 100%

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Broncosfan For This Useful Post:

hawgrider (08-15-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by rstanek View Post
    This is my Bambi in a jar method- http://theoutdoortradingpost.com/sho...canned+venison

13. The Following User Says Thank You to hawgrider For This Useful Post:

rstanek (08-15-2017)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 2,877 Times in 1,350 Posts
    Yes green beans are a no no. Meat and fish are absolute no no's all low acid vegtables are all a no no for waterbath method.

You can can green beans.make dilly beans.when we used to water bath and pressure can,leftover green beans were frozen in seal-a-meal bags.along with any other leftovers,then put in the big freezer downstairs.unfortunately,wifey does not have the time to can anymore as she has to deal with her decrepit asshole dad.

Quote Originally Posted by MI.oldguy View Post
    You can can green beans.make dilly beans.when we used to water bath and pressure can,leftover green beans were frozen in seal-a-meal bags.along with any other leftovers,then put in the big freezer downstairs.unfortunately,wifey does not have the time to can anymore as she has to deal with her decrepit asshole dad.
    Yeah we make dilly beans with no processing at all. Its called pickling which has different rules than canning green beans.

I use my grandma's "no process" pickled green beans and hot mix recipes for some delicious crunchy pickled goodies.

We also make fermented dilly beans which also require no traditional processing. See my fermenting thread for instructions how they are delicious had some last night on our salad.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to hawgrider For This Useful Post:

MI.oldguy (08-15-2017)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 2,877 Times in 1,350 Posts
    Yeah we make dilly beans with no processing at all. Its called pickling which has different rules than canning green beans.

I use my grandma's "no process" pickled green beans and hot mix recipes for some delicious crunchy pickled goodies.

We also make fermented dilly beans which also require no traditional processing. See my fermenting thread for instructions how they are delicious had some last night on our salad.
    Huh?.wifey used to water bath them.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast