Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone buying bulk pectin?

VIP Member!

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 5,180 Times in 1,552 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Deebo View Post
    My reason, my wife "only follows the written directions", to the best of her ability.
    She is funny. OH IT HAS TO BE LIKE THIS DONNIE". I hear that one a lot.
    I am somewhat the same. I do experiment with recipes but changing or guessing in a jelly or jam recipe can produce bad results. I hate to waste fruit especially.

I Never Log Off!

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 4,573 Times in 2,015 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Broncosfan View Post
    Never bought bulk pectin. I personally would not since I never know how much I will be using every year.The humidity is bad here in Ohio so if I have some open from year to year I don't use it.I only use the Ball
    pectin that you measure yourself. Jars never bought online. I assume your in New Mexico? Doubt there is a Menards there but the only place I buy jars. You can go online to klip2save.com search Ball canning coupons and you can get good coupons for $3 off a doz. I think the cost is 24 cents a coupon and a $1 per order mailing charge. Order today and you surely would have them first of next week. The coupons expire late Sept I believe. I stocked up last year on pints for under $4 a doz.
    I did get a "test coupon" and it worked fine at ace hardware.
    Just ordered 10 more, of the $3 off a case of jars, that expire on 9/30/17. No worries, the jars wont expire.
    Will there be "more coupons' after the 9/30/17 deadline? I thank you for the heads up.
    Last night the wife made jelly from FREE GRAPES. I asked about grapes, apples and peaches on a facebook site that is free, (clothes, furnitiure, school supplies), but we also always alert each other of great deals.
    So, It was probably 25 dollars worth of grapes. They were small, seed in grapes, green and black.
    She sorted and washed them, I "smashed them" she boiled them for a few minutes, then sieved the juice out. Ended up with 8 3/4 cups of grape juice.
    I have the test bowl on my desk, just haven't gotten to eat it yet.
    You will never be forgotten. RIP Corporal Bradley Coy (USMC)

VIP Member!

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    I did get a "test coupon" and it worked fine at ace hardware.
    Just ordered 10 more, of the $3 off a case of jars, that expire on 9/30/17. No worries, the jars wont expire.
    Will there be "more coupons' after the 9/30/17 deadline? I thank you for the heads up.
    Last night the wife made jelly from FREE GRAPES. I asked about grapes, apples and peaches on a facebook site that is free, (clothes, furnitiure, school supplies), but we also always alert each other of great deals.
    So, It was probably 25 dollars worth of grapes. They were small, seed in grapes, green and black.
    She sorted and washed them, I "smashed them" she boiled them for a few minutes, then sieved the juice out. Ended up with 8 3/4 cups of grape juice.
    I have the test bowl on my desk, just haven't gotten to eat it yet.
    I have never had a problem with the coupons from klip2save.com. I don't think you will see more Ball coupons this year. Usually 2 times per year around may and Aug. There might have been on on December last year but I can't say for sure. I will let you know if I see another round this year if you want me too?

Great to hear you used free fruit. I made grape jam. We separate the skins from the inside and sit aside. Process the insides through a food strainer/sauce maker. Then I process the skins in a food processor mix it all together. Its a lot of work but we think worth it. I still have over 20 lbs of grapes left. I plan to try a grape pie recipe that someone gave me and can the rest into pie filling if I like it.

I Never Log Off!

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Yes, she is a jam lover. hates jelly. She was upset because we didn't process the skins and pulp, and the whole time, she was stirring, saying, "this shit smells like mop water", "this shit aint gonna work". it did stink like fermented grapes..
    WELL, I literally just ate a spoon sample, tastes just like grape jelly to me.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Deebo For This Useful Post:

Broncosfan (09-08-2017)

I Never Log Off!

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Wow, I found jars at half off. They were overpriced, but with the coupons, and the half off, I paid 3.75 each for three 12 packs of Ball pint jars.
    Now gotta order more coupons, because of the sale.
    Oh, and it was a safeway grocery store. half off of 13.00, (6.50), then 3$ off that. so, .24 coupon, comes to about 3.75 case. Only wish they had more, and that weren't marked up, before they were marked down. I think the same jars were about 11$ when I saw them.
    Still way cheaper than the 10 $ Walmart prices.

VIP Member!

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Wow, I found jars at half off. They were overpriced, but with the coupons, and the half off, I paid 3.75 each for three 12 packs of Ball pint jars.
    Now gotta order more coupons, because of the sale.
    Oh, and it was a safeway grocery store. half off of 13.00, (6.50), then 3$ off that. so, .24 coupon, comes to about 3.75 case. Only wish they had more, and that weren't marked up, before they were marked down. I think the same jars were about 11$ when I saw them.
    Still way cheaper than the 10 $ Walmart prices.
    Deebo
    Make sure you have enough time to get and use the coupons. I'm positive they expire on Sat. 9/30

I Never Log Off!

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Yes sir, they have been running about 4 days to get delivered. Should give me plenty of time. We are done with the half pint jelly jars, going into the canning process now, will be quarts and pints.
    Should (SHOULD) be ok, gives me a solid week or so. Im near the stores everyday.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12