Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: credit building

Thanks

credit building

what are some of the most effective ways of building credit? i have heard things from getting small loans and paying them off and get another one, to getting a credit card and keeping the balance low to paying the negative things off of your credit report. my credit was low 400's a few years ago and now it's mid 500's but it seems to be stagnant. i've heard stuff on your credit is supposed to roll off after 7 years, but i have a repo that is going on 9 years and still there...along with a lot of other medical bills from 06-07. i think those are the main things bringing my credit down and the amount owed is way too much to think about paying off right now. any tips?

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 4,646 Times in 1,327 Posts
    I don't know of any other way than what you mentioned.

Watch your credit cards. Without me paying attention, the banks raised my limits to the point where sports cars could be bought with them. That scared the crap out of me when I realized it, being paranoid that thieves might do just that. I cancelled all but one card, and called that bank to set the limit and ask them not to raise it without me first asking.

Paranoia should be your close friend.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Denton For This Useful Post:

omegabrock (07-30-2014),SquirrelBait (07-29-2014)

Little Miss Chatterbox 1moretoy's Avatar

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Pull your credit report and any accounts you don't use (even if they show $0 balance) cancel them and have the merchant send you a confirmation letter for record. Too much available revolving credit even if it has a zero balance, will drive your score down if left open.

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 1moretoy For This Useful Post:

Arklatex (07-29-2014),Denton (07-29-2014),omegabrock (07-30-2014),Slippy (07-29-2014)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    I had no credit and that was my problem. I paid cash for everything.
    I was told to open a credit card and charge something and immediately pay it off to get good credit. Now I owe alot but my score is about 640?
    What's the difference between a crackhead and a tweaker?
    The crackhead will steal your shit and bounce--the tweaker will steal your shit and then help you look for it.

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 24,848 Times in 6,976 Posts
    Credit is a Two Headed Monster that can bite a hole in your ass the size of Texas...or it can be an excellent business partner if managed correctly.

My advice is somewhat Age Driven. At my age (early 50's) I strive to be like Dave Ramsey and have a 0 credit score and pay cash for everything. But its kind of like our goal of living a Self Sustainable Prepared Lifestyle; It may never happen 100% but we strive for it.

But when we were young, buying homes and cars were obviously important things and credit played a big role. But times were certainly different back in the 80's and 90's.

Whatever you do, go SLOW. I recommend that you establish a relationship with a local community bank or Credit Union and forget the big mega banks. I've had an account with a Credit Union since I was a teenager back in the late 70's/early 80's and have used them for various things over the past 35 years from cars to short term loans etc. The relationship has paid off, but it took time.

Pay off the balance on any credit cards that you have EVERY SINGLE MONTH. One credit card is more than enough for most families.

Like others have said, Close Any Account that is still open and get a letter from them proving the account is closed.

I've got a couple of very small real estate loans on investment properties ($30k and $40k respectively) but that's it. We have not carried a balance on a credit card since the late 80's but we still put everyday stuff on our credit cards like gas, groceries and some monthly household expenses but that's it. And of course I use credit cards for business travel.

Good luck but remember, Prov 22:7..."The rich rule over the poor, and the borrower is slave to the lender."

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Slippy For This Useful Post:

Arklatex (07-29-2014),Denton (07-29-2014),Inor (07-29-2014),omegabrock (07-30-2014),SquirrelBait (07-29-2014)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Slippy View Post
    Credit is a Two Headed Monster that can bite a hole in your ass the size of Texas...or it can be an excellent business partner if managed correctly.

My advice is somewhat Age Driven. At my age (early 50's) I strive to be like Dave Ramsey and have a 0 credit score and pay cash for everything. But its kind of like our goal of living a Self Sustainable Prepared Lifestyle; It may never happen 100% but we strive for it.

But when we were young, buying homes and cars were obviously important things and credit played a big role. But times were certainly different back in the 80's and 90's.

Whatever you do, go SLOW. I recommend that you establish a relationship with a local community bank or Credit Union and forget the big mega banks. I've had an account with a Credit Union since I was a teenager back in the late 70's/early 80's and have used them for various things over the past 35 years from cars to short term loans etc. The relationship has paid off, but it took time.

Pay off the balance on any credit cards that you have EVERY SINGLE MONTH. One credit card is more than enough for most families.

Like others have said, Close Any Account that is still open and get a letter from them proving the account is closed.

I've got a couple of very small real estate loans on investment properties ($30k and $40k respectively) but that's it. We have not carried a balance on a credit card since the late 80's but we still put everyday stuff on our credit cards like gas, groceries and some monthly household expenses but that's it. And of course I use credit cards for business travel.

Good luck but remember, Prov 22:7..."The rich rule over the poor, and the borrower is slave to the lender."
    Slippy is good, Slippy is wise. Trust Slippy.
    The squirrels are lurking... @ http://theoutdoortradingpost.com/

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SquirrelBait For This Useful Post:

Coppertop (07-29-2014),omegabrock (07-30-2014),Slippy (07-29-2014)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Denton View Post
    I don't know of any other way than what you mentioned.

Watch your credit cards. Without me paying attention, the banks raised my limits to the point where sports cars could be bought with them. That scared the crap out of me when I realized it, being paranoid that thieves might do just that. I cancelled all but one card, and called that bank to set the limit and ask them not to raise it without me first asking.

Paranoia should be your close friend.
    I prefer to think of paranoia as reality on a finer scale.

Having said that, Anytime the bank does you a "favor" without you first asking give it the hairy eyeball...
    The squirrels are lurking... @ http://theoutdoortradingpost.com/

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SquirrelBait For This Useful Post:

Denton (07-29-2014),omegabrock (07-30-2014),Slippy (07-29-2014)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 34,019 Times in 10,450 Posts
    Personally, I think having good credit and a lot of it can be as useful a prep as having a basement full of food. I travel so much for business that I need to have a credit card without a limit. I average between $2000 and $3000 per week when I am on the road in just normal travel expenses (airfare, hotel, car and food). If flights start getting cancelled due to weather or other unforeseen problems, that can easily balloon into an additional $1000 or $1500 depending on what city I happen to be stranded in. So, having a credit card with basically an unlimited line of credit has saved my butt more than once. Without that, I would be stuck sleeping at the airport on a mat on the floor.

That being said, the only credit card Mrs Inor and I have had for over 15 years now is an AmEx which requires me to pay it off completely every month. Also, at the end of the year I exchange the travel points I have earned throughout the year into AmEx gift certificates and use those to pay for new tools for my wood shop or "luxury" stuff for our home. (My shop is pretty much full now.)

So, like Slippy says, credit is a VERY valuable tool, but it needs to be used with restraint or you can get into a LOT of trouble real fast.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Inor For This Useful Post:

omegabrock (07-30-2014),Slippy (07-29-2014)

Experimental User
    Thanks
    ok boss here's how you raise your credit. it is what i am currently doing and it is working well. open up a secured credit card with your bank of choice. only put small purchases on the secured card like gas at the gas station or a small grocery bill and then pay it off immediately once the pending goes through. do this for 4 months or until your credit is at 700. once it is at 700 apply for one more credit card. do not use that credit card except for small purchases like gas. despite what others have said not using a credit card will not hurt your credit, if you leave it open and do not use it it will not affect you. one other thing to note. never max out your limit..stay under 33% of your credit limit each purchase. pay that 33% off and then repeat the process on a schedule. i had no credit 6 months ago and now my credit is 730. ..research it a bit more, but what I'm telling you will work. take note of avoiding "Hard inquiries"...check that phrase out online it will help you

Thanks
    from my understanding, building credit from no credit is a lot easier than trying to fix it. i only have 1 credit card right now, limit is 300 and i keep the balance between $30-50. if i have to use it for something during the month, i pay it back down as soon as money comes in. i have a secured loan with a credit union that i took out when i first got my back pay from disability. that's been about 6 years now. it comes out automatically and is never late. also, i have a car loan and the wife has a lease...it just seems like my score is stagnant and isnt going anywhere. once i can buy a house, i would like to think i won't care anymore but damn...it's just waiting for this score to come up so that i can

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast